logo
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
579 Posts
Discussion
RF8 tip for inverted harrier "glitch". Phoenix too.

If you use real flight and wonder why you can't do inverted harriers due to a plane designed to do so wanting to roll back to upright, here's the simple tweak for some of them. Edit your favorite 3D capable plane and once you make a note of the numbers in case this doesn't suit yaou, remove the wing incidence at center and the washout at the tip if these are anything other than zero. Dihedral is generally zero as well on many midwing designs so play with this as well. You might lose some upright stability but if you can't fly upright these pointers aren't for you! Double check your work in a straight line knife edge test and if it stays true, enjoy! This isn't a cure-all but it does make a few planes much more realistic.

OK, a 2 fer. If you have this same issue with Phoenix I found using ridiculous dihedral numbers in the negative work well. Moving the cg in huge amounts does wonders here for 3d flight as well. I seem to remember moving cg anywhere from 2-5 inches for level inverted hands off and proper elevator authority so feel free to play with numbers that would lead to the walk of shame if used in real life.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Last edited by KMatch; 01-31-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2016
579 Posts
Addition to above: To add to the RF8 inverted harrier tweaks I found out playing with the incidence and washout numbers improves it even more. On a few 3d planes going so far as -2* incidence at the root as well as -10* washout works even more to equalize upright and inverted harrier behavior. The -2 incidence counters the ridiculous -10 washout and keeps upright and overall neutral behavior intact. Obviously these numbers are useless when compared to real life but for the sim they work decent enough.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
133 Posts
I have RF8 and have never experienced that issue in any of the 3D planes, they all fly great. Could you please tell me in which planes you found this issue?
Below is a video I made for a couple of friends to teach them "turn arounds", you can see some inverted harriers.
I don't like the idea of playing with dihedral and washout as I fear it may affect other flight characteristics.
I suggest you move CG aft as this is known to be the most influent parameter for real 3D planes, also, make sure you have enough throws.
Ronaldo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g6U...ew?usp=sharing
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old 06-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Joined Nov 2016
579 Posts
You're not comparing with a standard plane. It's a well known issue with stock planes as well as many online versions.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Joined Dec 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
You're not comparing with a standard plane. It's a well known issue with stock planes as well as many online versions.
I tried a few of the stock planes before, I just sent this video because it was already uploaded.
Mine is the online version too, is there an specific plane I can test to see issue?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2016
579 Posts
I threw this out there for some in other groups and online meets mentioning it. If you don't need it that's cool but it's not something I care to be challenged on or to have to prove in exchange for offering a pointer to some who might find it handy. Carry on.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2014
133 Posts
I was not asking for any kind of proof or challenging you by any means, just curious to know a bit more about an issue I've never seen or heard about or was even able to find on google about a software I have and use frequently.
I'm out, good luck.

Quick Reply