logo
This thread is privately moderated by mtndewdewd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Discussion
2013 IMAC Season (part 7 - judging school)

I have read the judging criteria a couple of times, been through the online school a few times and have even judged a few times. After going to the class, I am not sure it will make me a better pilot, but it will make me a better judge. I feel sorry for anyone I judge from this point on =\ Based on "the rules" I see a lot of 2's and 3's that I used to give 7's. You take a simple loop that was entered from slightly nose up with wings slightly left and have a couple tiny flat spots with a tighter pull-out than entry - but "overall" it looks pretty good... by the rules you don't get the "7.5 - looks pretty good" score but the real score of a "5"

I can see keeping up with a Basic sequence and maybe a sportsman sequence trying to judge at this level - but how anyone can really say they judged a maneuver correctly for an upper class sequence is beyond me. I watched a few sequences from HPP when I got home and I had to rewind multiple times to really "evaluate" each judging criteria for a maneuver. To really evaluate entry/exit radius, consistency of radius, entry and exit path, wings level, rotational elements on point or over/under rotated - nose break, autorotation, etc... you would have to be "Rainman" to be able to do that correctly on-the-fly.

I was hoping it would help my flying, but the tiny "little" things you are graded on have no chance to be thought about before, during, or after I fly the maneuver live. At this point, I am just ahead of the plane enough to think "smooth", "wings-level pulls", good vertical/45 line, centering, etc... no way I am ready to think of all the judging criteria as I fly I guess this is why burning gas is soo important and flying with someone (knowledgable) looking over your shoulder calling out the "little" things really helps.

Again, it was a great event, will help make me a better judge (sorry SW pilots) and will def help with understanding why my scores may be "lower" than expected...

Didn't get to fly this weekend, was going to on Sunday after the "practical" portion of the school, but because of the poorly timed winter rain we received it was canceled. Hope to get some good practice in this and next weekend prior to the next event.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I was reviewing your flight scores to get an idea on what areas you seem to be struggling in and there are definitely a couple of maneuvers that you consistently seem to have issues with. But from what I can tell you are probably giving easy points away as most pilots do. When I come out to fly with you this weekend we will identify those areas and get you straightened out. Looking forward to working with you.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
I was reviewing your flight scores to get an idea on what areas you seem to be struggling in and there are definitely a couple of maneuvers that you consistently seem to have issues with. But from what I can tell you are probably giving easy points away as most pilots do. When I come out to fly with you this weekend we will identify those areas and get you straightened out. Looking forward to working with you.
Can't wait....

here is an analysis I did - I have done these for ALL of the events I have ever flown in (which this one was the 3rd ever

Name: superstition.jpg
Views: 201
Size: 83.6 KB
Description:

Yes, I am an anal engineer... sorry...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
Nice work John! The first maneuver that stood out is the Hammer....It's mostly a timing situation. We will see what you are doing and go from there. I also need to teach you how to "hide" some mistakes!! :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
I see a very bright IMAC future for you John. And with Big Mike helping it will happen so fast you won't know what hit you. Just be ready for a whole lot of information coming your way.
plane is offline Find More Posts by plane
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Really the only thing you have to remember is what I constantly tell Neves when I am coaching him, "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 AM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I see a very bright IMAC future for you John. And with Big Mike helping it will happen so fast you won't know what hit you. Just be ready for a whole lot of information coming your way.
Thanks...

and Baco - why do they all call you "BIG Mike"?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams View Post
Really the only thing you have to remember is what I constantly tell Neves when I am coaching him, "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"
Mike throws other things at me... His line is "if you can dodge a DA-150, you can dodge a ball"
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndewdewd View Post
Thanks...

and Baco - why do they all call you "BIG Mike"?
They overheard my wife calling that and rolled with it!
Last edited by mbacosa; 01-31-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
They overheard my wife calling that and rolled with it!
I don't understand.... oh they heard your wife order a Big mac, and they heard it wrong?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by plane
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,424 Posts
Bill, it's been said one to many times. Get a new AVATAR. That nice green mesquite behind you is the one I piss on all the time.
plane is offline Find More Posts by plane
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Bill, it's been said one to many times. Get a new AVATAR. That nice green mesquite behind you is the one I piss on all the time.
Same one I use too. Luckily its always been at different times....So that is why it is so green and healthy.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
That avatar is two planes old ta-boot! I do believe I've pissed on that same mesquit as well......hmmm....
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
So what you are saying is I should leave the plane but paste Neves into the photo.

Quick Reply