Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by djmoose
Lowlife
Macedonia, OH
Joined Mar 2010
600 Posts
Question
Titanium axles - solid Ti or coated?

Whiterose, can you go into detail on the makeup of the axles?

Are they solid Titanium or just coated?

And what strength of Ti are you using?
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by N726AC
Seven.Four Liters
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Sep 2006
7,552 Posts
I know that they are 'solid titanium', Vern will have to divulge the grade. I can say that they are surprisingly light weight and I have never had one fail or bend.
N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken...it's easy to tell if there not solid titanium... it sticks to a magnet...
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Been using Vern's Ti axles for years , never had one break
rooman is online now Find More Posts by rooman
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by Vern Smith
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
319 Posts
Here is the verification, if you wish, universally used in the manufacturing process to certify that the materials used in a product are what you say they are. This is a real big deal in the aviation industry requiring tons of documentation and audit trails so that crash investigations can accurately zero in on causes of component failures.

Titanium has some wonderful qualities for us, namely light weight and good strength. It is generally not as strong as steel but strong enough for our normal use. It does not rust. It has some draw backs like galling, price and machineability. My axles are expensive but the combination of its initial cost and difficulties machining it are the reason.
Vern Smith is offline Find More Posts by Vern Smith
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Vern Smith
whiteroseeng.com
Naples Florida
Joined Aug 2006
319 Posts
Here is the verification, if you wish, universally used in the manufacturing process to certify that the materials used in a product are what you say they are. This is a real big deal in the aviation industry requiring tons of documentation and audit trails so that crash investigations can accurately zero in on causes of component failures.

Titanium has some wonderful qualities for us, namely light weight and good strength. It is generally not as strong as steel but strong enough for our normal use. It does not rust. It has some draw backs like galling, price and machineability. My axles are expensive but the combination of its initial cost and difficulties machining it are the reason.
Vern Smith is offline Find More Posts by Vern Smith
Old 03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, PA, Home
Joined Nov 2006
3,941 Posts
Vern -
Your products are priced exactly according to the quality - first class products in my eyes
rooman is online now Find More Posts by rooman
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by djmoose
Lowlife
Macedonia, OH
Joined Mar 2010
600 Posts
Awesome info, thank you!
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
I have purchased White Rose wheels for a number of years and have found the quality to be
excellent.
I do however, feel compelled to tell you about my experience with the Titanium axles.
I know that some of you will think I am smoking something funny while I'm telling you this but it's the gospel truth.
The Carden Pro that I had flying at a field in Florida was equipped with White Rose wheels and the Titanium axles.
On a routine flight, I took off and flew for my timed 11 minutes and made my landing approach.
As the plane drew closer on the approach, I was shocked to see that the wheels were gone.
Yes, both wheels were missing from the landing gear.
I managed a Harrier type landing and fortunately the field had a sand base so the landing gear with no wheels on it, slid a little way in the sand without ripping out of the fuse..
I know what your thinking: the nuts on the axles weren't tightened so they fell out. Wrong!
The axles had broken away from the axle hub while the plane was flying in the air on BOTH
axles.
Now this was just spooky and the only rational I could come up with was that these axles had been somehow over hardened and became brittle.
Not so. I had the remaining hubs tested and they were not brittle.
Un-deterred, and thinking this was a freak happening, I replaced the axles with the same Titanium
axles.
At an IMAC event I took off and completed a round. The judges then told me that one of my wheels had fallen off just after take off. I was missing one wheel.
I panicked this time and another more experience flier landed the plane for me on one wheel and without incident.
The same thing happened. The axle had broken away from the hub while the plane was in the air.
As is indicated by posts on this thread, others have used these axles without incident and honestly,
I have never heard of this happening to anyone else.
The only answer I can come up with is that this plane by some peculiar circumstance had a vibrating resonance that crystalized these axles where they join the hub and caused them to fail.
Believe it or not.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
I have purchased White Rose wheels for a number of years and have found the quality to be
excellent.
I do however, feel compelled to tell you about my experience with the Titanium axles.
I know that some of you will think I am smoking something funny while I'm telling you this but it's the gospel truth.
The Carden Pro that I had flying at a field in Florida was equipped with White Rose wheels and the Titanium axles.
On a routine flight, I took off and flew for my timed 11 minutes and made my landing approach.
As the plane drew closer on the approach, I was shocked to see that the wheels were gone.
Yes, both wheels were missing from the landing gear.
I managed a Harrier type landing and fortunately the field had a sand base so the landing gear with no wheels on it, slid a little way in the sand without ripping out of the fuse..
I know what your thinking: the nuts on the axles weren't tightened so they fell out. Wrong!
The axles had broken away from the axle hub while the plane was flying in the air on BOTH
axles.
Now this was just spooky and the only rational I could come up with was that these axles had been somehow over hardened and became brittle.
Not so. I had the remaining hubs tested and they were not brittle.
Un-deterred, and thinking this was a freak happening, I replaced the axles with the same Titanium
axles.
At an IMAC event I took off and completed a round. The judges then told me that one of my wheels had fallen off just after take off. I was missing one wheel.
I panicked this time and another more experience flier landed the plane for me on one wheel and without incident.
The same thing happened. The axle had broken away from the hub while the plane was in the air.
As is indicated by posts on this thread, others have used these axles without incident and honestly,
I have never heard of this happening to anyone else.
The only answer I can come up with is that this plane by some peculiar circumstance had a vibrating resonance that crystalized these axles where they join the hub and caused them to fail.
Believe it or not.
Any pics of the remaining pieces? I would like to see where and how it broke.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; 06-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
Did it break on one of the "E" clip groves?
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
I've seen all types of axels break, including the White Rose titaniums. Each has always broken between the gear leg and wheel...in close. Root cause unknown other than they break and the wheel falls off the plane.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 06-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
The material cert above shows that they are made in the annealed state. Are they heat treated post machining?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
It broke right where the 1/4" dia. axle meets the larger dia. hub. I think I still have one around and I'll see if I can't post a picture.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
It broke right where the 1/4" dia. axle meets the larger dia. hub. I think I still have one around and I'll see if I can't post a picture.
Yes, please!

Quick Reply