logo
Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by LIpilot
United States, NY, Salisbury
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Discussion
RCGF USA

A few months ago I bought a RCGF 32 cc engine from one of the USA dealers. I mounted it on a 1/4 airplane and ran a tank to set the needles, etc. The engine had good power, turning ~ 7,500 out of the box on a 18 X 8 recommended break-in prop.

However, after the engine warmed up and ran for 3-4 minutes it started to surge and would not keep a steady idle. High rpms varied over 1,000 too. No matter what I did I could not get the engine to run right. Suspecting an air leak, I checked the reeds, reed block, carb and gaskets. Sanded flat the reed block for better seating, changed the gaskets and tried again. It was better, but still no cigar- after a good warm up the engine would surge at high rpms.

After messing with it on and off for 2 weeks, trying everything I knew about engines (30 years of glow and gas experience) I decided to send it in for repair. I called RCGF USA, spoke with Joe Nelson and agreed to ship the engine to him.

While on an overseas trip I got a message that the engine was shipped back to me. When I returned home I opened the box and found a brand new engine inside! Joe informed me that there was an intermittent air leak that was difficult to isolate/fix, so he sent me a brand new engine instead.

I have many gas engines from 2 brands mainly - this was my first RCGF one. My experience with Joe Nelson and his company made me very comfortable to purchase more RCGF engines for my future needs. They stand behind their product and provide excellent service.

Kudos!
LIpilot is offline Find More Posts by LIpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Flying Giant Scale is News.
Joined Jan 2006
7,838 Posts
Thats good news! Joe does a great job with CS.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by lc39tech
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Oct 2009
62 Posts
There must be something wrong, someone took time out of their day to relay a positive experience with an rc vendor. Please set the world right again with SOME kind of negativity. Maybe the box it came in was flimsy, maybe they used those irritating packing peanuts, something...
lc39tech is offline Find More Posts by lc39tech
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc39tech View Post
There must be something wrong, someone took time out of their day to relay a positive experience with an rc vendor. Please set the world right again with SOME kind of negativity. Maybe the box it came in was flimsy, maybe they used those irritating packing peanuts, something...
Mine kinda smelled funny. But dangit it runs good...
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by LIpilot
United States, NY, Salisbury
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc39tech View Post
LOL. Sorry, I can't help you there. People love to come to these forums with a problem or a complaint, but almost never take the time to thank a vendor. I was treated right and wanted people to know about it - it's only fair.
LIpilot is offline Find More Posts by LIpilot
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Kiva Flyer
New Mexico
Joined Sep 2007
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIpilot View Post
LOL. Sorry, I can't help you there. People love to come to these forums with a problem or a complaint, but almost never take the time to thank a vendor. I was treated right and wanted people to know about it - it's only fair.
Please let us know how the new one runs. I'm not being negative here!! I'm just interested in the RCGF brand and would like to know if your problem is solved.
Kiva Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Kiva Flyer
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,969 Posts
rcgf is very popular at my club. All very happy owners. As with all engine brands that have established a reputation for reliability there is the occasional lemon. How the vendor sorts those out determines whether or not the brand will stick around or do a mintor
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle