logo
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Question
Twisted Hobby or DW Foamies

New to foamies but I'm looking to get into 3D and I've seen so many products out there. I've narrowed it down to these the above two sellers. I want a plane I can fly outdoors. I'm looking at the 32" Crack Yak-55 from TH and 40" Yak55 from DW. Although I'd like the larger (43") from TW, just not sure I'm ready for a large plane. I'm not new to flying just new to 3D. Secondly, is it suggested to get their combo packs or get the parts elsewhere. If I should get the parts elsewhere, where and what? I have a Spektrum dx6i. I have no clue what parts I would need as I said I'm new to building. Any info I left out to get you to answer, please let me know. Thanks!
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by bpetty620
B-rad
United States, SC, Roebuck
Joined Aug 2006
703 Posts
Can't say about DW, but the combo and plane from TH is first the best flying foamy ever and the combo is a great match for the plane.
bpetty620 is offline Find More Posts by bpetty620
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by gforce
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
751 Posts
Both are great companies! Pic one and have a blast!
gforce is offline Find More Posts by gforce
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by 3daviator
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Jan 2006
1,356 Posts
I have both planes you mentioned. They both fly outstanding. I fly the CY a lot more only because you can crash the sh*t out of it over and over and not hurt it, worst case a little welders and your back in the air. I have the fusion DW and while it can take a little abuse it's a lot easier to break and the Depron isn't the same after repairs IMO.

If you're new to 3D get the Crack Yak, set it up all stock, (it's got a ton of pwr) get about 10 Gens Ace 2S 450's and have a ball! I've got about 100 flights on mine with all stock pts and it's as good as new.

If you haven't already seen it, check out the Crack Yak thread on RC Group s
3daviator is offline Find More Posts by 3daviator
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daviator View Post
I have both planes you mentioned. They both fly outstanding. I fly the CY a lot more only because you can crash the sh*t out of it over and over and not hurt it, worst case a little welders and your back in the air. I have the fusion DW and while it can take a little abuse it's a lot easier to break and the Depron isn't the same after repairs IMO.

If you're new to 3D get the Crack Yak, set it up all stock, (it's got a ton of pwr) get about 10 Gens Ace 2S 450's and have a ball! I've got about 100 flights on mine with all stock pts and it's as good as new.

X2. I dont own a DW, but EPP is much more bounce proof than depron. The Crak Yak is incredible!
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by aerofli
ohio
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts
If you do both indoor and outdoor flying buy the Crack Yak. All outdoor buy the 40" DW .
aerofli is offline Find More Posts by aerofli
Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,087 Posts
I have owned several DW's they are great designs....never flown a Crack Yak but that video on their site is AWESOME! It looks like it flys incredible.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Ok, I was really leaning towards the Crack Yak and it sounds like the best bet for me as a beginner. But now the question is if I go with the power combo pack, should I also go with the dsm2 receiver as well? Or should I go another route (brand/seller)? If so, who? As I said I have a spektrum dx6i. And any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
I'd recommend the DW Fusion EPP/Depron foamies personally. Mike (DW owner) is one of the best guys in the industry when it comes to customer service as well.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
I'd recommend the DW Fusion EPP/Depron foamies personally. Mike (DW owner) is one of the best guys in the industry when it comes to customer service as well.

yup...

what he said.....

I had one of the Yak 55's...

it felt much more like a solid (bigger) plane than most foamies....

with a 2200 three cell (yes.. 2200!!) and reduced throws.. it is actually a good 40% surrogate!

buy two... you will over-bold many times due to the level of confidence this inspires!! lol
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Ok, I was really leaning towards the Crack Yak and it sounds like the best bet for me as a beginner. But now the question is if I go with the power combo pack, should I also go with the dsm2 receiver as well? Or should I go another route (brand/seller)? If so, who? As I said I have a spektrum dx6i. And any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thats the same RX I use with the dx6i. I have a few of them and they work great for small electrics. Pop the case off so it's just a board to save weight and just hot glue it to the bottom.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daviator View Post
Is the thread actually called Crack Yak or is that a topic under a particular thread? I've been looking for it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
These two planes should not even be compaired.......Crack yak is a great indoor plane,that does ok outside in mild wind (i flew one in 10mph winds and it WAS A HAND FULL) yes it will take a beating and flies great in the hands of a proficient pilot.......The DW yak 55 is Hands Down a 100% better flying plane for outside use.....Just do not be crazy with it close to the ground,or fly outside of your skill set,and it will last a looooong time,just have foam safe ca and kicker around for the cracks that go along with a depron plane......I like to keep my foam planes around a long time,and i treat them no different then one of my much larger gas planes.....I could never figure out why people treat them so bad,and buy the one can hit the ground the hardest .....like i said,not kicking the Crack yak (cause it is great for what it is) but it is NO MATCH for the DW Yak in any way shape or form.......Nor is it a better first foamie in the hands of somebody that will treat it right......Best part about the much larger DW,they can fly in some pretty crazy wind and still handle amazing.....Just my worthless 2 cents.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
I almost forgot about them...i built one for my buddy, i was Very Impressed with how it went together and flew (he did give me a bit of an underpowered power-set) Just very important to tape the hinges,then paint ....Here is a vid of the maiden...please excuse my french,i was getting attacked by misquito after a couple minutes
Brett's 40" Hybrid DW Foamy SU-29 (6 min 4 sec)
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; 04-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by maineflyer
Uber Contributor
Joined Jul 2006
764 Posts
If your looking for a TW plane this one is the bomb in the 44" range. I have this one and an original twisted slick and the edge all fly awesome and are wicked easy to fix with some welders. Using 3s 2200s on the Telink and flies great.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...xtra-Slick.htm
maineflyer is offline Find More Posts by maineflyer
Last edited by maineflyer; 04-25-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quick Reply