logo
Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
I started out saying my plane had an issues, uneven elevators, rudder kicked to one side, wing twist......
I fought with every adjustment known to man, right/left thrust, up/down thrust, ...... came down to keeping up with the airplane an perdicting when it would bob or waive before it did it.

Just something i have noticed----Seems to me to striaght leading edges lock into harriers much better then a sweep (a yak) also.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by VA6WGO
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
Joined Jul 2007
66 Posts
Thierry,

I think the answer to your question lies in the bottom of your gas can.

Cheers,

Will
VA6WGO is offline Find More Posts by VA6WGO
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
I started out saying my plane had an issues, uneven elevators, rudder kicked to one side, wing twist......
I fought with every adjustment known to man, right/left thrust, up/down thrust, ...... came down to keeping up with the airplane an perdicting when it would bob or waive before it did it. .
I've been there too, several years ago when i was just starting out. Had one of the first Wildhare 50cc Extras. Swore up and down the plane wouldn't harrier. Handed it over to one if the local 3d hotshots and he made that plane do things I thought weren't possible. Showed me that the only thing wrong with my setup was the linkage between my brain and thumbs.
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Yeah it's an Extreme Flight. It's been designed and test flown by a 3D wiz Chris Hinson. If he couldn't harrier it, it would have never hit the market. Got any 3D gurus near by? I'd let them try to harrier it. Do you have at least 45 degrees up and down? That's what I need for my 3D birds (all Extreme Flight BTW). From your pic's the elevators look straight enough to me. If I lived near by I'd help ya with it.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 08-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by ThierryN
Joined Jul 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAirPort View Post
Yeah it's an Extreme Flight. It's been designed and test flown by a 3D wiz Chris Hinson. If he couldn't harrier it, it would have never hit the market. Got any 3D gurus near by? I'd let them try to harrier it. Do you have at least 45 degrees up and down? That's what I need for my 3D birds (all Extreme Flight BTW). From your pic's the elevators look straight enough to me. If I lived near by I'd help ya with it.

Many thanks.
I live in Belgium, so a bit too far I guess ;-).
I do not know any 3D guru here and have to try by myself, making things sometimes more challenging.
Anyway, I do not give up...
ThierryN is offline Find More Posts by ThierryN
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryN View Post
Many thanks.
I do not know any 3D guru here and have to try by myself, making things sometimes more challenging.
It's weird to hear a report of this kind of behavior. Normally people report wing rock. They don't normally complain about extreme yaw in a harrier. The only time I had problems with a harrier was with a CAP232 that I accidentally put the linkage on the wrong hole of the control horn on one side. So mine was uneven elevators. Once I fixed that the CAP232 could fly around effortlessly in a harrier. It was a 72" wing span.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryN View Post
Many thanks.
Keep looking in the bottom of the gas tank. You will figure it out. i worked with a guy last weekend on performing a good harrier. Of course he could fly my plane just fine. After watching him twitch control surfaces, and anticipate wing rock, work throttle and hold aileron when needed i took it back and after using some of his technique I could perform it much better.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
A simulator would be the best place to start to get an idea of the physics behind a maneuver. Sims are not even close to the real thing, they lack realism and feeling but they do help your eyes and brain understand what should happen when certain stick movements are applied.

Once these stick movements become familiar to you a foamy would be the next stage. Its back to stage one again when you get one as you will find that all you learnt on the sim needs to be re learned on the foamy in the real world but progress is faster because you have the basics. Foam models are cheap and fly very slow which is a great way to gain confidence and see what is taking place. When you can master a movement on a foamy the only real difference between that and a larger model is the speed that things happen and the effect that weight can have on the model falling out the sky if slowed down too much.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
A simulator would be the best place to start to get an idea of the physics behind a maneuver. Sims are not even close to the real thing, they lack realism and feeling but they do help your eyes and brain understand what should happen when certain stick movements are applied.

Once these stick movements become familiar to you a foamy would be the next stage. Its back to stage one again when you get one as you will find that all you learnt on the sim needs to be re learned on the foamy in the real world but progress is faster because you have the basics. Foam models are cheap and fly very slow which is a great way to gain confidence and see what is taking place. When you can master a movement on a foamy the only real difference between that and a larger model is the speed that things happen and the effect that weight can have on the model falling out the sky if slowed down too much.
+1
My Foamy made me a whole new pilot. i practice run with it then grab the 100cc and go for it. Foamy was the best RC investment i made for learning 3D.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
+1
My Foamy made me a whole new pilot. i practice run with it then grab the 100cc and go for it. Foamy was the best RC investment i made for learning 3D.
Yup I flew the crap out of my first foamy last Winter in a fairly confined space and this spring I found that I had a new form of control over the big birds.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Jul 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
Yup I flew the crap out of my first foamy last Winter in a fairly confined space and this spring I found that I had a new form of control over the big birds.

Which kind of foamy do you advise ?
I fly with indoor planes, but for 3D, I find them to be "too easy" to fly (rolling circles and so on without any problems).
Outside, I flight with an acromaster from Multiplex, and this is much more complex to flight.
I do not perform harrier correctly yet. The different between this plane and an indoor is big !

Is the acromaster a good choice ?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
The Acromaster is a great model to practice on. Its also very good for learning hovering too.
If you can fly the typical profile foamies then I think your next step is to practice with the Acromaster until you are more confident.

When you perform a harrier it can be easier sometimes to hold full elevator on high rate settings instead of 3D rates so you don't have to think about that part anymore and concentrate on keeping the wings level whilst using the rudder to keep the nose pointing into wind. Foam models don't always need as much surface movement to achieve the same effect as a larger , heavier model would need.

If the controls start to feel 'soft' and not responsive , small short bursts on the throttle by a click or two is a good way to force air over the surfaces and regain a more solid feeling in the sticks. You'll find this will help you control the model and make it go where you want it to instead of it doing what it likes.

Instead of trying to get a 45 degree harrier at first like the pro's. Try flying in front of you as if you where about to land and point the nose up just a little each time but concentrate on keeping the model at the same height so it doesn't climb. It will be faster this way just like landing speed, but will respond to any stick movement you put in. When your happy with this way, gradually slow the model air speed down a little each time whilst pointing the nose up a little higher.

Practice is the only way to get it right but for the time being only fly harriers into wind until you are confident. When you fly downwind you have to be aware of more throttle to force air over the plane and this isn't something you want to do just yet.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODE 1 View Post
The Acromaster is a great model to practice on. Its also very good for learning hovering too.
If you can fly the typical profile foamies then I think your next step is to practice with the Acromaster until you are more confident.

When you perform a harrier it can be easier sometimes to hold full elevator on high rate settings instead of 3D rates so you don't have to think about that part anymore and concentrate on keeping the wings level whilst using the rudder to keep the nose pointing into wind. Foam models don't always need as much surface movement to achieve the same effect as a larger , heavier model would need.

If the controls start to feel 'soft' and not responsive , small short bursts on the throttle by a click or two is a good way to force air over the surfaces and regain a more solid feeling in the sticks. You'll find this will help you control the model and make it go where you want it to instead of it doing what it likes.

Instead of trying to get a 45 degree harrier at first like the pro's. Try flying in front of you as if you where about to land and point the nose up just a little each time but concentrate on keeping the model at the same height so it doesn't climb. It will be faster this way just like landing speed, but will respond to any stick movement you put in. When your happy with this way, gradually slow the model air speed down a little each time whilst pointing the nose up a little higher.

Practice is the only way to get it right but for the time being only fly harriers into wind until you are confident. When you fly downwind you have to be aware of more throttle to force air over the plane and this isn't something you want to do just yet.

THANKS Pete,

Your instructions will certainly help me in improving my 3D skills !!

Quick Reply