logo
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by flynz4me
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts
MT Engines Background

As we have all seen on the banner ads here on the Giants, MT Engines is producing a number of gasoline engines and full exhaust systems for our use in models. I emailed Tomy from MT Engines yesterday and asked about the future production of an 80cc class engine and to my surprise he told of his release in a month and a half!!! A few more emails went back and forth and it was immediately apparent that Tomy is a very cool guy! He shared with me his 5 year history in making gasoline engines, canister mufflers, and headers and I wanted to post his response up so we can all welcome MT Engines to the Giants properly.

Devin

Tomy wrote:
About 7 years ago. I started to fly big nitro planes and used 1.20 4C engine. That's the biggest one I was able to buy at that time. The fuel cost were too much for me, so I was think about use gas engine and buy my first one. the GCBM engine from USA. it's conversion engine , 25CC. too heavy and less power that what I need. but this engine are the kindling of MT engine right now. I start to learn the gas engine , in that time. no CDI igntion in China and two years later ,the RCEXL ignition system was born . with good partnership with RCEXL. we are able to start doing our MT engine from the first sports engine. the MT-42. for make prefassional engine as market require. CNC machine are need to invest . and we need best quility and precision one to build MT engine .so I decided the to buy DMG CNC system from China Market in that time, this is the best one I can find in China market and under one million RMB(130 thousand USD that time) . more than enough to do the gas engine . so the CNC line of MT engine are being build since that time. from the first one engine MT-50ng. and now the new MT57 , MT80 are going to reless soon. short story with more than 5 years hard work :-)

I have few picture of my CNC system. please see this link : http://picasaweb.google.com/tomyrcmodels/CNC# and I will take more pictures for you of my factory.

for design the new engine . we observed lot engine , and come out our own idea. and fit for our basic workmanship , easy to build. low cost . high power , light weight . perdurable etc... ( one secret : customize every parts of engine .from piston to cranksheft and make our own design cylinder . this is the key for prevent other people doing copy our design ) copier are like save cost . but if they choice to copy MT engine . they have to invest all mod for all parts . and can not find any parts in the market. so spend lot of money and doing same engine are not they want . very thickheaded movement . but works .

Thanks for letting me share this with you guys,
Devin
flynz4me is offline Find More Posts by flynz4me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Re: MT Engines Background

I wonder if the 80 will actually come with a real throttle arm?
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Care to elaborate??
Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

How hard is it to drill 2 holes in a piece of 1/16 sheet brass and solder it onto the carb shaft. ?
I'm quite sure if Tomy did it there would be people wanting it done some other way...Human nature 101
It is NOT possible to anticipate all the different setups people want, been there for 21 years or so....
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Hero to the masses
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4me View Post
Care to elaborate??
An arm with about 1/4" moment from the pivot point does not make for good throttle resolution. No matter what Ralph implies. Certainly not RC-ready on an engine that is marketed to RC pilots.

Then there's the packaging thing.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

Just so we know, just what exatcly does this IMPLY ?
"How hard is it to drill 2 holes in a piece of 1/16 sheet brass"
Where does it say anything about how far apart they can be ? You want drill sizes ? OK, #50 for the DuBro link and 3/16 for the shaft...It's a good fit, easy to solder...Make the length whatever you want...Sorry I can't come by and do it for you...
More like RCU every day
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
An arm with about 1/4" moment from the pivot point does not make for good throttle resolution. No matter what Ralph implies. Certainly not RC-ready on an engine that is marketed to RC pilots.

Then there's the packaging thing.
Ryan, I thought you were a modeler...

Remember back in the 1/4 twist throttle days on our dirtbikes?? Remember removing the throttle tube and replacing with a 1/2 turn?? OK maybe not, but this is about the same thing.

How does the engine run??
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
Sorry I can't come by and do it for you...
More like RCU every day
WOW!! :22a:
Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Hero to the masses
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
Just so we know, just what exatcly does this IMPLY ?
"How hard is it to drill 2 holes in a piece of 1/16 sheet brass"
Where does it say anything about how far apart they can be ? You want drill sizes ? OK, #50 for the DuBro link and 3/16 for the shaft...It's a good fit, easy to solder...Make the length whatever you want...Sorry I can't come by and do it for you...
More like RCU every day
Ralph, I didn't realize it was New Years 1956. Should I change the decor at my house? This isn't an era of converting Homelite engines from weedwhacking duties. When an engine manufacturer advertises an engine for use on giant scale airplanes, I would expect to not have to modify it to use it on giant scale airplanes. Your implication that having some chainsaw on/off throttle arm being what some people prefer these days is a bit, um out of touch with reality. You don't see reputable engine manufacturers like DA shipping engines with two "choke" arms.

Devin, I don't know how the engine runs. The cannister still hasn't arrived.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Quote:
Devin, I don't know how the engine runs. The cannister still hasn't arrived.
What are you planning to put it on??
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Quote:
My Evolution 58 was this same way
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Ryan I think you'll find that most engine manufacturers these days simply install a Walbro carb and don't bother to replace the arms. I use the 1" aluminum arms out of the Hitec HT servos for choke and throttle arms. Easy conversion but I do see your point. It's all about keeping the cost to the consumer down.
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by Bdegan
Learn 1 thing new Every Day
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
1,894 Posts

There was another post around here somewhere, where Tomy said he is working on a twin also
He also said it would not be a 114cc which one would asume using the existing 57cc cylinder heads. But this twin would be a 120cc. Whoo Hooo 35% in 2010 for me
Bore and stroke the 57 maybe ??
I wish I would have known about the 80 about a month ago. I had an amazing deal for the Hangar 9 Sukhoi cross my path. But I turned it down as I did not have the budget for the DA85.
I had just purchased the 57 not long ago and have the Aeroworks 50cc ultimate on order
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Hero to the masses
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

Devin, the CS-65 cannister arrived today. It looks pretty nice. This engine is going in a PAU 30% Sukhoi.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Euro Pogo Stick Rider
Keizer, Oregon
Joined Dec 2006
3,361 Posts

Oh I had my eye on that bird!! Lots of squares in that wing.. .3D beast it will be!!!

Glad to hear the can showed up, can't wait to see some pics of your plane!

Quick Reply