logo
Old 02-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,286 Posts
im going to be running a futaba 14 ch reciever and a booma 3s extreme on 2s lipos. same setup im running in my AJ Laser, CARF edge, CARF YAK, 3W YAK.

i have pretty much gone to this setup for everything 35% and up that i own. Knock on wood, its the most worry free setup i have found yet.
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
Scituate, MA
Joined Jan 2007
209 Posts
Anyone using Air Wild Uni-Hub arms with their ProModeler servos? I bought a bunch of Futaba hubs for my IMAC plane because they allow you to center the arm without subtrim. I know they are known to be tight, but there is no way I’m getting these on without stripping the servo arm screw.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
Scituate, MA
Joined Jan 2007
209 Posts
I ended up sending the Air Wild arms back. I could not get them on, even with the screw. I probably could have forced it more, but I did not want to risk stripping it.

BTW, even the SWB arms I replaced them with were really tight, but I at least could get them on just fine.

I'm very impressed with how fast, smooth, and quiet these 630s are. I'm really looking forward to getting them in the air.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Largo, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
139 Posts
My only regret about ProModeler servos is that I didn't switch over to them sooner.

It's been expensive to replace every servo I own but it's worth it.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Also, please note; we're not alone - Hitec quickly responded with an external PAD (power absorption device). And while it works great, because adding one for every 3 servos quickly becomes unwieldy, we opted for an internal solution on each servo, instead.

I think you misunderstood what they are doing. Hitecs PAD was introduced because their D series servos incorporate regenerative breaking (like a hybrid car, or an ESC with brake mode on) and will backfeed power to the RX for a few microseconds every time the arm stops and reverses direction. The PAD exists for ESC sets that cannot absorb backfeed. Battery setups are unaffected for obvius reasons. It is receiver/brand independent.

Also your theory about 10v on the signal pin is improbable. Regardless of battery voltage (red lead), all the major manufacturers regulate the signal (white or orange) to 5v or 3.3v. if you saw a spike it was probably on the power bus, and I hope a servo designer knows the difference

While we are on these topics a couple other items to point out from your website:
  • Teikoku Tsushin Kogyo makes Noble potentionmeters, not Nobel
  • I'm happy that you can get ABEC-9 bearings cheap, but any first year mechanical engineer can tell you that the 2 micron tolerance of an ABEC-9 offers close to zero noticeable improvement over a ABEC 3 or 5 (6, 8 micron) in a low speed application like the servo output arm. The extra precision is barely even noticeable in motor bearings. In industry ABEC-9s are used for real high speed applications like turbine bearings at 100,000rpm+. And since ABEC is nothing but a tolerance spec, its entirely possible to have a cheap ABEC-9 that is tight but made of lower quality material than a good ABEC-3 and perform worse in the real world. As a consumer I'd rather you spend the R&D money on something that really makes a difference we can feel like better motors or gears.
  • Your brass eyelets are undersized. They need to be as deep as the rubber grommets so the screw can properly clamp to the eyelet without crushing the grommet. Otherwise why even use the eyelet? Remember planes are different than helis and we cant use loctite on wood screws.

TL/DR: Focus on promoting the real differentiators in your product. Adding a lot of extra hype over things that make no difference in the real world only annoys people with enough of a technical background to see though the babble. Hence the popcorn gallery emoji's above ^ ^ .
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 10-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,175 Posts
JHarkin has very good engineering and technical expertise but how does that translate to your flying skills in a rc aircraft?. I can say from experience over 50 yrs of rc hobby. have been a major consumer of all these servo brands and one thing I noticed was all the chattering , buzzing and shaking from all the major brands. so like all good hobby lovers
we buy the latest and greatest just to see it let us down again . they were all the same till I swapped for the Promodeler 470s about 16 months ago. Best god dang servo I ever thrashed ! its smooth , Fast , never makes Noise . I have them in my helis and 35% - 40% planes. John at Promodeler is skilled, honest and knowledgeable , try to say that about the rest of these dealers.
Ive owned the rest now I fly the best
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by jbeech
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
All ProModeler servos incorporate regenerative breaking - this isn't a new feature for us.

Contact me via email and I'll share further details: [email protected]
jbeech is offline Find More Posts by jbeech
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,175 Posts
you cant help but notice whenever a good thing comes around most are hesitant to jump in . im the test dummy and always will be , love being the first and only with something new . most members where I fly have seen the difference and they too are promodeler servo owners now.
Im very guilty of loving what I fly or drive or ride for that matter. love trying new products , hate paying too much.
www.promodeler.com
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
880 Posts
I switched from having over 50 each 9177 Futaba servos to running only 470 and
630 oz Promodeler servos and neither I nor my flying buddies can tell any difference in the air.
Less money, faster friendlier service and flawless performance. I'm in for the long haul guys!!
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 10-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
Got my first 470 today. Typical so far from what I have read here. Within 30 minutes I had a shipping notification with tracking. In my hands in 2 days. It's a beauty to look at, free ball cap and stickers included, super quiet on the bench.
Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Old 10-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,787 Posts
Dang, I need a new cap so I think I'll order a servo or two.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
828 Posts
Love the servos. Been using them for a couple of years now. Good quality and performance for a reasonable price. Engineering is outstanding. Customer support is good and responsive. I will continue to be a customer.

FWIW, I do not like the recent activity by Promodeler (and others) to push me into reviewing an item. I get it, reviews make sales, but customers should not be pressured into advertising for you. If your stuff is good it will stand on its own and the reviews will happen. Constant e-mails from manufacturers begging me to say good stuff about them are annoying and water down the process. IMO, this trend will only serve to make the review process unreliable.
Desertrat is online now Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 10-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,435 Posts
A review on a website, is no different than posting on web forums.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Dang, I need a new cap so I think I'll order a servo or two.
Ordered them on Monday by phone and received all 5
630 oz servos 2 days later on Wednesday.
And mine came with the same cap...one you might actually where!
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 10-24-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Planebuilder
United States, AR, McGehee
Joined Sep 2019
3 Posts
Ive read pretty much this whole thread about promodeller servos but being what they are I just had to throw my hat in the ring.
First off Ive never been any kind of fanboy. If your products work Iíll keep buying them and using them. If they donít work within reasonable limits Iím gone. Donít care who makes them so I just wanted to get that out of the way.
Ive used literally all of the brands over 35 years of model aviation and with similar results as everyone else but I sincerely have to say promodeller has my business long term and hereís the reason why. Just today I was having a problem with one of my planes ( a 45% Pitts S-11 B) and I suspected that I just didnít have enough servo on each aileron as I was getting a terribly slow roll rate out of this airplane. So I contacted John and told him what the deal was . I expected him to tell me I just needed more servo for my application but nope!!! He started asking me things to rule out and trouble shooting my set up over the phone instead.
Not to go into great detail as many of you may guess , Yes the voltage drop at each servo was really bad. Yep!!! The dreaded blowback syndrome. I contacted john for an easy fix but what he gave me was even better. HIS TIME!!! I didnít have to spend a single penny to correct my issue . The servos are just well, awesome and the support that comes with them is simply the best Iíve come across.
Servos are expensive and when one plane can sometimes have as much as 12 to 15 hundred dollars worth installed in them itís really nice to know that what your getting is a very high quality part. I guess I am a fan boy of some sort now but at least itís warranted. And Iíd also like to add that my Pitts is flying with the 360 servo through out and it rocks. This servo is way underrated in my opinion . Thatís just my two cents. If anyone is thinking this guy is just an off brand then Iíd suggest just giving him a call
and see for yourself.
Scott Morgan
Planebuilder is offline Find More Posts by Planebuilder

Quick Reply