logo
Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by todhog
Communist Peachtree City Ga.
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts
Re: Unbelievable 3D'ing jet at JoeNall

Hey Fred, tell me about that little camera you use. If I had known that you were taking such high quality video with it I would have asked you on the flight line. I thought you were just another RC geek doing you thing!

Todd
todhog is offline Find More Posts by todhog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Here is a photo of the jet packed for transport.
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Old 05-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by todhog
Communist Peachtree City Ga.
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts

I remember when you took that picture, those are my legs on the other side.

Todd
todhog is offline Find More Posts by todhog
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Fly low. Roll tape.
Durham, NC
Joined Apr 2006
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todhog View Post
Hey Fred, tell me about that little camera you use. If I had known that you were taking such high quality video with it I would have asked you on the flight line. I thought you were just another RC geek doing you thing!

Todd
It's a Canon HV-10. It's my back-up HD camera and does a great job considering it cost just $1200. ($900 these days) I bought it to put into a camera plane I'm building. It shoots in 1080i to mini DV tape. Weighs slightly less than 1 lb. My primary camera is a Sony HVR-V1U, but it was out of commission this trip. On the last day of SEFF that camera jammed. It's still at Sony for waranty repair. (Big hassle...don't get me started). So I borrowed a Panasonic HVX-200 for Nall. That's the camera I had on the boom. It shoots 720p at frame rates up to 60fps. That's double the normal frame rate which makes for SUPER smooth slow motion. Those that saw the HPP Film Festival on Friday night got to see two new pieces I shot and edited at Nall. One of these was entirely in slo-mo shot on the HVX-200. True HD slo-mo is something to behold. You can see the shocks working on the jets and warbirds when they take off. We could even identify flutter on one of the planes during a fast flyby. The only downside is it shoots to P2 cards, not tape. 8 minutes per card at 60fps. Camera holds two cards. So after 16 minutes you have to download the data to the Mac. I had seven P2 cards, so in an hour all my cards were full. Cumbersome for a solo act like mine, but the images are breath taking. -Fred
fredmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Old 05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by paffy
Ozone Park,NY
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts

That's an awesome scratch built plane, cool idea and flying !!

I think the "rolling" during the hover could be caused by stirring the nozzle around as he chases the tail of the plane to stay vertical.

If you go something like left,up,right,down with your stick corrections, that will impart a rolling moment on the airplane and it could go to the left. If you go left,down,right,up, it could roll to the right.

P.
paffy is offline Find More Posts by paffy
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

What fell off thew plane , right in the middle of the video during hover????
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by sl1200mk2
Doo It! Doo It!
West Palm Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2006
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmidgett View Post
It's a Canon HV-10. It's my back-up HD camera and does a great job considering it cost just $1200. ($900 these days) I bought it to put into a camera plane I'm building. It shoots in 1080i to mini DV tape. Weighs slightly less than 1 lb. My primary camera is a Sony HVR-V1U, but it was out of commission this trip. On the last day of SEFF that camera jammed. It's still at Sony for waranty repair. (Big hassle...don't get me started). So I borrowed a Panasonic HVX-200 for Nall. That's the camera I had on the boom. It shoots 720p at frame rates up to 60fps. That's double the normal frame rate which makes for SUPER smooth slow motion. Those that saw the HPP Film Festival on Friday night got to see two new pieces I shot and edited at Nall. One of these was entirely in slo-mo shot on the HVX-200. True HD slo-mo is something to behold. You can see the shocks working on the jets and warbirds when they take off. We could even identify flutter on one of the planes during a fast flyby. The only downside is it shoots to P2 cards, not tape. 8 minutes per card at 60fps. Camera holds two cards. So after 16 minutes you have to download the data to the Mac. I had seven P2 cards, so in an hour all my cards were full. Cumbersome for a solo act like mine, but the images are breath taking. -Fred
Thanks for the detailed explanation Fred! You shoot some amazing stuff. Looking forward to your DVD this summer for sure.

- Wayne
sl1200mk2 is offline Find More Posts by sl1200mk2
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Fly low. Roll tape.
Durham, NC
Joined Apr 2006
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
What fell off thew plane , right in the middle of the video during hover????
We were all wondering that same thing at the time. Biff even asked Ralf about it after the demo (listen to the end of the vid I posted at http://higherplaneproductions.com) but Ralf just made a joke about it: Biff: "What do those black thingys do?" Ralf: "If it fell off then I think they do nothing." Cool guy. Great sense of humor and amazing pilot. -Fred
fredmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fredmidgett
Old 05-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
United States, AL, Semmes
Joined Jan 2006
805 Posts

It would be nice to have some good close ups to see how the jet was setup!!!
jonkoppisch is offline Find More Posts by jonkoppisch
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by buttface
Suspended Account
WV
Joined Apr 2007
1,512 Posts

I want that jet!!!!!!!!!!!
buttface is offline Find More Posts by buttface
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by rdb127
Joined Jan 2006
357 Posts

3D Jets at the Nall (4 min 1 sec)
rdb127 is offline Find More Posts by rdb127

Quick Reply