Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Team TDRC Mgr.
Joined Jan 2006
8,200 Posts
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
You get the gear working yet? I assumed you needed a new main gear due to the retract sticking. If voltage solved it, that good to know.

On my bird.....I haven't been in my shop to touch any plans since late August. I was finishing up some Scuba training, then got an ear infection, then I was hunting deer and finally a trip to Mexico (diving). Now that the holidays are here things are slower, so I should get back on my bird. I need to finish up the removable Nose, finish the tray and repaint it......let alone start the turbine for the first time ever!
F no........ Kinda whizzin me off, if you know what I mean.

I ordered some actuators from BangGood. Henry from TopRC, kinda left me with a uneasy feeling after our chat a couple weeks ago. So, Im still hoping to still get my canopies, and if I get an actuator thats great, if not, I have some coming. But, I will have to change the output shaft and maybe the motor pinion for a new actuator.

Its pretty well done, except for new fuel lines from the pump and UAT.

On another note, turbine related tho.....

I started a virgin engine last weekend. Team UD (Univ of Dayton) bought a K85 for an event in April. That was an experience in itself. Wouldnt pull fuel, tried to prime the pump, etc....... Found out we put the fuel lines on the pump el wrongo. *D'oh* Quick swap of the lines, and primed the pump. Then I got to the famous noise! WOOOOOOOOOSH!!! Oh yeah! They pulled a little data on the 2nd run, the kids took a little video. All good stuff, then they have the fun time of building the airplane for the event.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Last edited by Bunky F. Knuckle; 12-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
K

I ordered some actuators from BangGood. Henry from TopRC, kinda left me with a uneasy feeling after our chat a couple weeks ago. So, Im still hoping to still get my canopies, and if I get an actuator thats great, if not, I have some coming. But, I will have to change the output shaft and maybe the motor pinion for a new actuator.

I started a virgin engine last weekend. Team UD (Univ of Dayton) bought a K85 for an event in April. That was an experience in itself. Wouldnt pull fuel, tried to prime the pump, etc....... Found out we put the fuel lines on the pump el wrongo. *D'oh* Quick swap of the lines, and primed the pump. Then I got to the famous noise! WOOOOOOOOOSH!!! Oh yeah! They pulled a little data on the 2nd run, the kids took a little video. All good stuff, then they have the fun time of building the airplane for the event.
Cool to get kids involved in Jets!
sweetpea is online now Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 12-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
F3S Jet Precision Aerobatics
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
On another note from Matt Balazs: The FAI had their meeting at the end of November and there was a decision to delay the vote on the 2019-2020 F3S sequences. As a result of this, the present proposals on both the P & F sequences will not be used in F3S starting in 2019 and the present 2018 sequence is still valid. Matt advised that there will be a subsequent meeting sometime in June 2019 or so and they will be looked at then.

Also, a 2019 USA F3S Championships is being formulated as we speak, and as soon as information can be gathered, I will post the information here and also on the F3S USA website.
W
Wayne... just to be clear - the board meeting is in April where the final approval will be done. We can't move forward with the new sequences until approval- which depending on the response from the board will determine when the new rules & sequences would be active. It could be mid year 2019 or beginning of 2020.
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 12-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Barry is as good to work with as anyone I've met in the model business. Dirk is another one and they'll both even help you on a weekend if you're really stuck.
GREAT NEWS ahead!! After speaking with Barry and sending him photos of how everything was situated, he steered me through checking wiring.

I am happy to say that the issue was located where the data link wire was pulled back from the ECU a bit. The snake-skin sheath was cut so close to the end, that it camouflaged that it had pulled away. I will have to re-route the wire so that there is a little play and also that it goes down directly, instead of from the side where over a 40 flight period (and probably with rushing air in the fuselage) the data connection into the ECU came loose.

Barry Hou is a definite A+ individual at KingTech and incidentally, he says to tell everyone on the thread a BIG HI. I certainly have a positive experience with that organization and will continue to use their products.

Also, PowerBox is coming out with the new CORE radio over the holidays and we are all looking forward to experiencing changing over to it.
Wayne
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 12-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
[U]
Also, PowerBox is coming out with the new CORE radio over the holidays and we are all looking forward to experiencing changing over to it.
Wayne
There's a pretty good sized thread on those radios over on RCGroups. Guy who goes by "bossee" or something close, is a European and seems to know quite a bit about the radios.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
Quote:
K

Looking forward to seeing you and your team in April! Let me/us know if you guys need anything.

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 12-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Team TDRC Mgr.
Joined Jan 2006
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
Looking forward to seeing you and your team in April! Let me/us know if you guys need anything.

Dan
Thanks Dan. Will do so. Just hope we have an airplane built and flown by then.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 12-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dan. Will do so. Just hope we have an airplane built and flown by then.
Our teams haven't started yet so plenty of time.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
So.... Yesterday's weather in GA took a turn for the better and temps went up to 64 degrees with a crosswind of 7-8 mph. I decided to check out a few areas on my plane that I have not investigated up to now so that I could learn exactly what one of them does. This pertains to the PowerBox Mercury's internal iGyro and specifically the "Attitude Assist," which is a bit different from the normal Heading/Hold mode that other gyros use.

Since I still have the gyro set up on a 3 way switch (Off/Rate Mode/Attitude Assist) it is easy to switch between them. Within the Attitude Assist mode, I only have it programmed to the ailerons and elevator and did not apply it to the rudder. For the rudder, I seconded it to the "Rate Mode" so it would respond only to gusts of wind. The Mercury allows individual settings on all 3 surfaces.

There is so much to learn and to observe pertaining to how the gyro affects flight, especially precision aerobatics. In the Attitude Assist mode, I checked knife edge flight with both right and left rudder (in the 7-8 mph crosswind) and there was NO correction needed to compensate for the crosswind drift. I only varied my altitude with the rudder input. With the Rate mode in knife edge, I had to hold a little elevator to compensate for the crosswind. I flew several other maneuvers in the Attitude Assist mode and could definitely see where wings level and also altitude track was assisted by the gyro as compared to the Rate mode.

I'm beginning to get a grasp of how both modes can/will affect flying aerobatics. I am really not sure which one I prefer as "flying the plane" is still ingrained in my psyche and I am not sure if I want to delve into the nether regions of control. However...one important fact: The moment the sticks are moved from center, full control returns to the pilot. The various modes act at center sticks.

I had 4 flights and the KingTech 210 performed flawlessly. I am now beginning to develop a confident feeling from start-up to shut-down. The landings in the wind were slowed down to a tippy toe touchdown. I really like this Leonardo! I now have a total of 44 flights on her.
W
Old 12-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
582 Posts
Great report Wayne. Good timing too as I was preparing to go back and re-read your earlier posts about which settings you used and the one that caused you grief on a landing.

I finished up the graphics on mine last night, and am making progress on everything else. In regards to that, a couple preference questions. First, for my nose wheel steering; should I use a channel output on the Mercury that is gyro enabled with the rudder, or non gyro? I'll be using a separate channel on my radio mixed to rudder so I can control steering rates, on/off, etc. And last; does anybody use a degree or so of toe-in on the main gear to help with ground tracking? Or am I over thinking it

Scott
sthudson is online now Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 12-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Feb 2006
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthudson View Post
does anybody use a degree or so of toe-in on the main gear to help with ground tracking? Or am I over thinking it

Scott
I do on all my turbines, probably started doing that since I'm an A&P.

At the speed these things can move on the ground, a little toe in helps maybe more to the point of confirming that they are not toed out. I've not flown one of my Mercury equipped models yet but they are setup for the gyro assisted nose wheel steering as well as reduced travels for takeoff and landing.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 12-27-2018, 02:35 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthudson View Post
Great report Wayne. Good timing too as I was preparing to go back and re-read your earlier posts about which settings you used and the one that caused you grief on a landing.

I finished up the graphics on mine last night, and am making progress on everything else. In regards to that, a couple preference questions. First, for my nose wheel steering; should I use a channel output on the Mercury that is gyro enabled with the rudder, or non gyro? I'll be using a separate channel on my radio mixed to rudder so I can control steering rates, on/off, etc. And last; does anybody use a degree or so of toe-in on the main gear to help with ground tracking? Or am I over thinking it

Scott
Glad to see that you are almost there. Sorry for the late response.

With my short experience with the Mercury iGyro, I can comment on my set up, which was originally derived from Matt Balazs' download to my 28X of his FUTURA. Using all his settings (except the thrust vectoring) I fine tuned what he had to my liking. My steering is presently not linked to any gyro control, as I felt that I had enough experience with steering that I could handle it. The steering is set to the Rudder B channel when the assistant is used and the iGyro can be set up for steering easily.

I was looking on another website how some jet pilots do steering and thier brakes and here is a link that will shed some light on your question. Although the original question in the thread was regarding retracts, it slid to a question of steering...so read through & scroll down...to get to that area. THREAD LINK.

I use a separate channel for the steering and can modify all the settings for throw/expo etc.
After thinking about it. My next time out, I need to experiment with the PowerBox Mercury and see what difference the iGyro on the steering makes. I will definitely report back here on my findings. W
Last edited by wmat7039; 12-27-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
I don't remember if I have put this link up before, however if I did, it needs to be placed again.

This is a video of setting up a PowerBox Mercury's iGyro done by Martin Pickering. He did two.... The first one is by using the default assistants that comes with the Mercury unit. I will put the second link below.

iGyro Tutorial #1 - EASY SETUP! Setup Assistant step by step (18 min 0 sec)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:45 AM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
Here is the second video for the PowerBox Mercury set-up..... This one goes into details where you do not use the set-up assistant.
iGyro Tutorial #2 - MANUAL SETUP LIKE A PRO! Step by step (17 min 16 sec)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM
SILVER FOX
Acworth GA
Joined Jan 2006
2,172 Posts
The weather sucked all week and even into this weekend. I had plans on going out again today but had to shelve.

Last weekend, I went out and had 3 good flights (now a total of 47). On all three, I tested the steering with the gyro engaged for both take-off and landings to see what actual effect(s) it has during both areas of flight. I also tested a change to the throttle stick expo (on the transmitter) as opposed to changing the parameters for the turbine in the ECU unit. This change was suggested by a friend who did these changes on his transmitter and I wanted to see if it helps in the area that I need.

First, the landing/take-off procedure. I went into the gyro parameters on the Mercury's screen and had the Rudder B servo (which was previously designated to the front wheel steering) come on when in the "rate mode" for landing/take-off. I also moved the nose of the Leo to make sure that the gyro was working in the correct direction. I guess we don't want it going in the wrong direction, do we? The setting that I had on the steering was 40% for the first flight and I changed it to 48% for the two subsequent flights. Keep in mind that as soon as the L/Gear is retracted, the front wheel steering is turned off, so that during flight (with the application of rudder) the front wheel remains in one position & does not move)

On all 3 take-offs, I did the natural thing and steered the Leo, forgetting to see what took place. When the pilot applies a correction, the pilot's input takes over since the gyro works when the stick returns to neutral. So, I cannot tell you at this time what happens on takeoff. Will need to consciously do this & not steer at all.

Secondly, the landing procedure: I have been learning the landing speed of this bird as I go along, and I am now bringing her in correctly and slowing her down at the right time for touchdown, flaring at the right time without the dreaded "porpoise" effect. She is such a gentle beast! Because I'm getting comfortable, I found that I was able to put in half brakes on the final approach (which was suggested by Andrew Jesky many moons ago) and she slowed down to a short run after touchdown. On the first landing, I deliberately let go of the rudder stick and applied full brakes. I still saw the plane go slightly to the right (even though I had pulled the main wheels off and cleaned the brake area properly, adding the recommended lubricant scantily). On the second and third flights, my natural instincts to steer the plane again kicked in and I preempted the veer to the right with rudder input.

I have not actually tried the "attitude assist" on the steering, but at this time, I am going to abandon this project, but will leave the gyro armed on the steering as I saw no appreciable effects or negative ones. It is possible during the taxiing that it may have worked, but still, for me it's not worth spending time on.

In my next post, I will discuss what I experienced with the throttle expo changes.

Quick Reply