logo
View Poll Results: WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE DA OFFER A LIGHTWEIGHT TRUE 120 REPLACEMENT IN A 25 TO 30CC GA
YES 725 82.01%
NO 53 6.00%
MAYBE 43 4.86%
TOO SMALL 63 7.13%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2006
1,980 Posts
DA 25-30CC FOR 120 SIZE PLANES

WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE A LIGHT WEIGHT GASSER BY DA TO REPLACE 120 SIZE GLOW ENGINES?
ULTIMATE1 is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by RappyMan
Help - I like helicopters
United States, IA, Elk Horn
Joined Jan 2006
1,353 Posts
Re: DA 25-30CC FOR 120 SIZE PLANES

Sounds good. More choice is a good thing. My friend put a 2.0 Sachs on a 60-90 size Edge 540. No power problems there with a 18" prop!
RappyMan is offline Find More Posts by RappyMan
Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

it would be a good thing but the price needs to be smaller as well.
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by DKjens
DKjens
Sweden, Gävleborg, Söderhamn
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

Dave has probably already regrettet that he made the DA50-R due to having to support all those entry level gas engine users, who just screwed them up when they thought they knew what they were doing. If making an even smaller and cheaper gas engine and having to uphold an impecable service reputation as DA has, will likely cost DA more than they can hope to make on an engine like that.
DKjens is offline Find More Posts by DKjens
Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by futurase
Point Roller
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Feb 2006
129 Posts

The other side of the coin is it will get a LOT more people in gas and then if they really like the service/performance from DA then they will more than likely be brand loyal and buy a 50/100/150. Two sides to every coin.

Also if you think that selling and servicing bigger engines means you get a more educated buyer than I have some ocean front property in my back yard here in Arkansas to sell you. I have about 5 "theory busters" that fly at my local flying field.

Dave told me one time there is just as much machine work in a 25cc engine as a 50 so cost would be on par and who is going to pay the same for a 25 as a 50 would cost? Not very many.

Norman Ross Jr.
futurase is offline Find More Posts by futurase
Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKjens View Post
Dave has probably already regrettet that he made the DA50-R due to having to support all those entry level gas engine users, who just screwed them up when they thought they knew what they were doing. If making an even smaller and cheaper gas engine and having to uphold an impecable service reputation as DA has, will likely cost DA more than they can hope to make on an engine like that.

Aw geez, come on Jensy. Read what you just wrote.
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

Quote:
so then what you are saying is that if you own a 100 or bigger you know what your doing?? or dont make stupid mistakes learning?? some guys go right to the big stuff buypassing the 30%ers totaly. i would like to think that your statement is exactly opposite. not trying to start a war here. i just dont think that to be true
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by DKjens
DKjens
Sweden, Gävleborg, Söderhamn
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

Whatever, I'm sure there's no data recorded to support either. It's my view, from personnal as well as 3rd party (read "the very nice, extremely patient, customer support people") experience. And yes, now how do I put this politically correct, as more less experinced, less "mature" (and by mature I mean don't think you know everything) people are able to afford these engines, more people are going to mess them up and as is the "American thing" these days, blame somebody else, in this case DA.

Let me draw a parallel. Let's say a Ferrari F40 became affordable to more people, AND Ferrari let anybody who could afford it purchase it. Do you think a larger percentage of F40 owners would crash them? I think so. Let's even go further, and say that the Ferrari strongly suggested service call is every 10,000 miles at a cost of $2,000 per service call. Now, with all these "lower income" owners with F40's, many of them not being able to afford these "strongly suggested" service calls, do you think more F40's would suffer mechanical failure? I think so.

But hey, it's just my view, disregard it as most do.
DKjens is offline Find More Posts by DKjens
Old 09-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by joenella
Odense, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
189 Posts

Spot on Jens

brgds
Joen
joenella is offline Find More Posts by joenella
Old 09-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,609 Posts

Quote:
Whatever, I'm sure there's no data recorded to support either. It's my view, from personnal as well as 3rd party (read "the very nice, extremely patient, customer support people") experience. And yes, now how do I put this politically correct, as more less experinced, less "mature" (and by mature I mean don't think you know everything) people are able to afford these engines, more people are going to mess them up and as is the "American thing" these days, blame somebody else, in this case DA.

Let me draw a parallel. Let's say a Ferrari F40 became affordable to more people, AND Ferrari let anybody who could afford it purchase it. Do you think a larger percentage of F40 owners would crash them? I think so. Let's even go further, and say that the Ferrari strongly suggested service call is every 10,000 miles at a cost of $2,000 per service call. Now, with all these "lower income" owners with F40's, many of them not being able to afford these "strongly suggested" service calls, do you think more F40's would suffer mechanical failure? I think so.

But hey, it's just my view, disregard it as most do.
worst post ever!

Let's not compare F40s to anything made by DA. I know plenty of broke people with DA-150s. I don't know any broke people with Ferraris.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Old 09-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Jens, you have taken pointless to an entirely new level. You too were flying 120 glow motors at some point, and surely suffered from embarrassing and obvious befuddlements like the rest of us. How bout we stop disrespecting members who are in that same place, and enjoy this scale. Mkay frauline?

Back on the topic with the author, and the poll please.

I will expect a shipment of your wifey's salsa as repayment for the last 5 minutes of my life.
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 09-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

I was told that DA had one in the works at one time. I have no idea if that was true or not. I personally won't buy a small DA, unless it's cheap. DA's are definitely top of the line and the price shows it. Look at the market. 3W, ZDZ, Zenoah, Evolution, Fugi, etc. already have this market. All the engines on the market seem to be on par with each other. With this being said, I fly small glow planes right now. I vote NO.

50%
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by knighttwister
end user
neenah,wisconsin
Joined Jan 2006
404 Posts

hmm, let me invest two cents.
it seems to me that no matter what the scale of the air plane, or the power source, glow gas or electric, there is a price range to be offered. you can go lower end or high end in just about anything you buy nowadays. that is the american way. it is all a matter of what you are willing to pay. you can spend a less amount for heavy and less reliable, or more for light weight more power, reliability and cusomer service. it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
i for one have been in the hobby for quite a while now and can say for a fact that reliability and a little more initial output of funds is cheaper in the long run unless you have a penchant for dumb thumbing.
my vote is for a smaller size engine for 120 size plane.
go da
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisHays
Memphis Tn
Joined Mar 2006
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Jens, you have taken pointless to an entirely new level. You too were flying 120 glow motors at some point, and surely suffered from embarrassing and obvious befuddlements like the rest of us. How bout we stop disrespecting members who are in that same place, and enjoy this scale. Mkay frauline?

Back on the topic with the author, and the poll. Any other will be flushed.

I will expect a shipment of your wifey's salsa as repayment for the last 5 minutes of my life.

get em' max!

i would like to see a smaller gas engine made by DA.. of course id probably just tear it up and blame da....i reckon i cant read instructions on how to operate a new piece of equipment
ChrisHays is offline Find More Posts by ChrisHays
Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by RMaia
Campo Largo - PR - Brazil
Joined May 2006
762 Posts

In my opinion it wouldn't make much sense.

First for the reason that was already mentioned, the amount of work involved in making a ~30cc engine is about the same as in a ~50cc one, so cost wouldn't be much different, maybe slightly less due to less materials being needed, but no "huge" differences there.

Second, which to me would be the most important reason is power to weight ratios. I may be wrong, but it seems like these smaller gasser engines have rather poor power to weight ratios when compared to similar displacement glow engines. It's not all about having gobs of power, you also need to keep the plane light if you want good performance. An overpowered plane with a high wing loading will be good only at hovering and pulling out, all other maneuvers will suffer a lot.

With this in mind, for 120 sized models glow still makes more sense, the engines cost less (no need for the cost associated with the electronic ignition module), are lighter (not only due to their construction and smaller size for same power output, but again no need for ignition module, ignition battery, switch and all that) and overall simpler.

In my opinion, gassers start to make sense only at 45~50cc. Again, in my point of view, DA would do more good by focusing on the "higher" end of the displacement range, like their rumored release of the 170cc. People seem to be "squeezing" the last bits of power from the 150's by using them on the ever larger models. A 170 makes a lot of sense there. That would be for me the right direction to go. Also because with the advances in construction techniques, the models are getting larger while keeping the same weight. I wouldn't be surprised to see 45%'rs weighing below 40 lbs being commonplace in the near future.
RMaia is offline Find More Posts by RMaia

Quick Reply