Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
United States, OH, Apple Creek
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Discussion
New member, gasser greenhorn

Hi yíall,

Itís good to finally be a member of FG! Iíve flown for years, mostly electric and nitro, some 3D, some sport. Just recently been getting back into the hobby more than I ever have. I got lucky and won an EF 91 inch Laser at a raffle at the spookfest fly in, Galion Ohio. Itís my first gas plane, I will have tons of questions, and need lots of help, but super excited to be part of the community!
AltitudeBill is offline Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,084 Posts
Dang man.. that’s a sweet score! I’m gonna recommend a DA70 or GP76 for a power plant 24/9 Falcon carbon fiber prop with MKS 777A+ servos or the hitec D955’s are sweet also. Anyway plenty of advice here if you need it.. good luck with it
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,044 Posts
Welcome, once you go gas you can not go back. Lots of good people here to help with gas.
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, Just from a quick consensus on here, it seems I can’t go wrong with the DA 70 and the MKS servos. I definitely want to do it right. I’m sure I will with all your help! You can forgive me already for asking stupid questions , lol
Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,080 Posts
to be clear, there are many ways to "do it right". DA 70 is a fantastic engine. MKS is one of many servos that would be fine. Congrats...you'll be hooked soon! there are no stupid questions....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 10-30-2019, 11:31 PM
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Right on, that makes sense. I think I was hooked when I opened up those boxes for the first time! What a piece of art, I love all the carbon fiber. Quite the difference from the .40 size nitros from 20 years ago when I first came into the hobby!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
Welcome
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 10-31-2019, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,087 Posts
https://www.scribd.com/presentation/...-for-Newbies-8
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 10-31-2019, 08:26 AM
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Hey thanks again to everyone, and for that article, ghoffman. Lots of useful info on there. Would you all recommend stock mufflers on the DA or canister? Our field has no noise restrictions and I like the sound of stock, just wondering from a performance stand point.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,087 Posts
Cans are less noisy, stock “mufflers” are cheap, light and make more power than cans, but less than a tuned pipe.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,926 Posts
Stock mufflers for sure if noise isn't a issue.Easier install and better performance.Not saying a engine preference but go with someone you know you will have support from.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Awesome, stock it is then! Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! There are so many great choices out there today for the RCer. I would advise to get with some folks that have been in the hobby and are reputable with good experience to help as well. Many of us have been through and have learned what is tried and true.

You will truly enjoy the EF plane. Take your time and set it up right and it will give you hours of great flying. They are rock solid performers and my overall favorite since I have been flying. Also as some recommend the DA, you cannot go wrong with those either and the support that DA gives it above measure.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 10-31-2019, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2019
25 Posts
Thanks Luchnia. From what everyone says, EF is a top of the line product. I definitely want to set it up with all the right components. So far you all have been a great help already! It'll be a long process, and I'm sure that my maiden won't be until spring, but I don't want to rush it.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,084 Posts
Just remember that gassers vibrate. Even twins vibrate a surprising amount. These vibrations are the enemy of everything in the plane. You can minimize the vibrations by making sure to balance your prop and spinner extremely well. Balance them in every direction and as a complete assembly.

Locktite everything. Every bolt needs a dab of blue locktite or a nylon threaded nut. I also use bonded washers under nearly every bolt.

Keep your wires from moving. 3D planes have a way of throwing around everything inside them. Make sure everything is strapped down and nothing can move. All servo extensions should have a keeper or a piece of shrink tube over them. All the wires, tubing, tanks, etc should be strapped down in a way that keeps them from moving. All fuel tubing needs SS wire, clips or some other retention method at each connection.

Be careful of chaffing. The vibration will cause wires and tubing to chaff, especially if its against a sharp edge. I avoid zip ties for the same reason. A tight zip tie can eventually cut through the soft insulation of a wire. I use foam wire keepers and Velcro only on my wires.

Soft mount what you can. Make sure you use the grommets in your servo mounts. Also use something as a vibration damper for your ignition, receiver, and other electronics. I like the Kyosho Zeal adhesive sheet, but there are other good ways.

Go over the entire airframe with glue. Vibrations will loosen joints and sometimes the factory doesn't apply enough glue. Go over every joint you can reach with thin CA.
dshriver is online now Find More Posts by dshriver

Quick Reply