Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 AM
Find More Posts by asaad_civic99
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
Discussion
EQ6 regulator voltage

Hi,

Im building a 33% aerobatic plane and Im planning on purchasing the EQ6. But I have the following questions:
1- Is it suitable for my plane?
2- If the input voltage of the regulator - the output voltage of the batteries - is below the set voltage, how will the regulator behave? will it bypass the voltage as it is? or will the outvolatge of the regulator be nill?
3- If the regulator fails due to overloading or anyother reason, will it bypass the amps and volatge coming out of the batteries?
4- If I use the optical kill switch with the system, will the regulator handle all the load comming out from 8 hi torque digital servos in addition to the ignition?

Thanks
asaad_civic99 is offline Find More Posts by asaad_civic99
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by geo61
alcoa george
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
I Use the EQ6 on my 36% planes and smart fly reccomends using lipo or ion batts for a specific reason. Input voltage has to stay at least a half a volt more than the output voltage or the servos will lock out, I have heard of people using A123 batteries but you have to be really careful when using and keep a close eye on the input voltage that it does not drop below the required or a half volt difference between input and output voltage and they are really designed around the high voltage battery technoligy. It has an adjustable output voltage that is for the servos only. the adjustment is 3 metall pins on the side and you just touch the two outside pin with a paperclip used as a jumper and moniter the voltage with a volt meter plugged into 1 of the servo outputs until you get the desired voltage and i think the max is 6volts so this power system is no good for high voltage servos. i think the reciever voltage is isolated and on its own, And i cant stress this enough that this system has no ignition reg on it. If you are using the smart-fly opto kill like myself you must either use the proper voltage battery or reduce the voltage with a regulator. So you will be using dual batts as the system is designed for, Do not and i repeat do not use either of those batts for the ignition power. Use a seperate battery for ignition to avoid RF interference back thru the ignition i already had this problem with my DA120 and thats what i found that it was, Problem solved when i separated the entire circuit with a separate ignition batt. Dont forget the smart-fly failsafe switch that you can buy for as an option for it. You can get it as a slide or pin and flag i believe. Hope this helps
geo61 is offline Find More Posts by geo61
Last edited by geo61; 12-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by geo61
alcoa george
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
If your looking at more of a system that is designed for lower voltage batts i would get the EQ10 instead
geo61 is offline Find More Posts by geo61
Old 12-21-2014, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by asaad_civic99
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2009
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to use 2 3000 mAh LiPo batteries for the servos and a separate batt. for the iginition.
asaad_civic99 is offline Find More Posts by asaad_civic99
Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,

1) Yes, Eq6 Super is fine for 33% aerobatic. With the high-torque servos available today I do suggest people consider the Turbo version if they are going to do hard 3D on that size plane.

2) Output voltage will never go to zero, it just will be a minimum of 0.5V below the battery voltage. Say you use LiFe batteries but set the servo voltage to 6.5V. When the LiFes are 7.2V the regulator output will be 6.5V. When they fall to 6.6V the regulator output voltage will be 6.1V.

3) In general if a regulator fails what happens is hard to determine. It may be an open (no voltage) or it may be a short (no regulation). In general the MOSFETs we use tend to short so you get the battery voltage (minus 0.5V) on the servos. Every problem I have seen with the regulators have been because of shorts during setup, not failures in flight.

4) We do not power the igntion from the receiver batteries. We believe the only safe way to power the ignition is from an isolated battery on the ignition. This is why all our systems use a fiber-optic cable to isolate the ignition both electrically and physically (distance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaad_civic99 View Post
Hi,

Im building a 33% aerobatic plane and Im planning on purchasing the EQ6. But I have the following questions:
1- Is it suitable for my plane?
2- If the input voltage of the regulator - the output voltage of the batteries - is below the set voltage, how will the regulator behave? will it bypass the voltage as it is? or will the outvolatge of the regulator be nill?
3- If the regulator fails due to overloading or anyother reason, will it bypass the amps and volatge coming out of the batteries?
4- If I use the optical kill switch with the system, will the regulator handle all the load comming out from 8 hi torque digital servos in addition to the ignition?

Thanks
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply