logo
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Bivens
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2009
613 Posts
Fiji water bottles....

I Just down'd a liter of Fiji water......I'm sure it'll be good for the plane....but I SURE do NOT feel 5 ounces lighter......gotta go pee....

I even found a 500cc Fiji bottle for use in my 87" plane....cool tip....

Thanks for the pics of the tanks and the suggestion on bulkhead fittings...For bulkhead fittings, do you use any sealant? O-rings? Please advise....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Re: THE BEAST:OFFICIAL BUILD THREAD!

Elevator Servo Installation and Throws:

Here are the important stuff in bullet format before I start I like to open the control horn philips screw and put a drop of locktite on them. It's up to you but I trust my locktite more than factory!

1. Mount the servo so the output shaft is towards the tail with 24" extension.
What I do, I drill a 1/16" hole then put the servo mounting screw through it, then back it out and apply thin CA into the holes, once its dry, I mount the servo!
2. Set the linkage such that 62.5mm of rod is exposed! H9 Manual suggests 59mm but this was with their prototype that had 2.5" titanium rod, production model comes with 3" so you can go up to 62.5mm. If you don't feel comfortable doing this please don't! All this does is giving 5-7 degree more on the elevator! Make sure you thread into horn and ball link equally or there is a chance one comes off under load!

3. Distance from hinge line to bottom of control horn should measure 1 3/4".

4. Here's the thing that can help make those super sensitive guys a little happier! When you connect servos to receiver at center with all the stuff at 0, sometimes arm goes on perfectly perpendicular to the output shaft and sometimes it needs a little subtrim! Actually if you bought a bunch of servo you can probably find two that are behaving exactly the same way! I did not do this, subtrim will take care of that little discrepancy but you can certainly do that and end up with both halves giving you exact same throw. Meaning max on both halves will be the same rather than one giving 52 degree and one 50 so you end up taking 2 degree off of one to be equal!

5. Once all set and done, don't forget locktite on the nut! My picture shows blue locktite on the bolt

Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Last edited by Reza; 07-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Hi Brian,

Thanks buddy! My video is not that worthy but I will do a couple! Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66stang View Post
Reza, good build, can't wait to see the flying video!! You do know you have to make one?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Man oh man posting what you do takes much longer than actually doing it

Since Beast does not have a counter balance it is hard to say at which point both elevators are at center. I put my ruler on it as pictured and played with subtrim until at both ends (elevator and stab) ruler is laying flat! There is a fine point because you can give it couple of more clicks it barely moves but that's because JR servos are extremely accurate and have fine movements! Make sure to stop with the first click that it lays flat on both ends!

See how one picture ruler is high then it is flat!

What I am showing is mainly to establish a point at which both halves are in the same position, after that if you want to give both a little up elevator trim, or whatever, feel free!

Here are some more pics with no explanation
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Brush Whacker
United States, TX, Commerce
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts

Reza: Horizon should hire you to enchance their manuals....good information on your build of the Beast. I am anxious to get started on mine but I am finishing up a new shop where I will be doing the build. Are the Fiji water bottles resistant to gas/oil mix? What about the cap sealing so there is no leaks? Bill
Mustang Man is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Guys,

These pics are not very clear because my throw meter is worn and faded! Up elevator is 51-52 deg and down 48!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Bill,

Thank you for your kind words! Problem is you can put so much in a manual as for content goes before it becomes a bible! However, build threads can help bring light as sort of addendum to a manual or just showing different techniques and ways! I truly appreciate your kind words towards me! Congrats on your new shop! I let Jim and others respond on the bottle because I don't have much info!

Thanks very much buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
Reza: Horizon should hire you to enchance their manuals....good information on your build of the Beast. I am anxious to get started on mine but I am finishing up a new shop where I will be doing the build. Are the Fiji water bottles resistant to gas/oil mix? What about the cap sealing so there is no leaks? Bill
Last edited by Reza; 07-27-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

I wanted to post on Python thread and accidentally posted here lol
It's funny I started the Python thread 3 years ago and both Beast and Python are going at the same time
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Gens, I will post tomorrow evening. I will cover the flying wires and pull-pull. we will finish up the tail tomorrow night I hope!

This plane will balance excellent with no efforts on DA-120 for those of you who got one! I did some calcs and we'll be in good shape! Cheers, Reza
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by Fishdeth
Team BROKE
Winter Garden,Florida
Joined Apr 2006
1,919 Posts
Re: Fiji water bottles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I Just down'd a liter of Fiji water......I'm sure it'll be good for the plane....but I SURE do NOT feel 5 ounces lighter......gotta go pee....

I even found a 500cc Fiji bottle for use in my 87" plane....cool tip....

Thanks for the pics of the tanks and the suggestion on bulkhead fittings...For bulkhead fittings, do you use any sealant? O-rings? Please advise....
I use Seal-All around the threads of the cap.
Let it cure 24 hrs and you're good to go !

Fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by Fishdeth
Last edited by Fishdeth; 07-28-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by M Carr
Eastern, NC
Joined Feb 2008
185 Posts

I didnt use any sealer around the threads on mine. Put the cap on tight and forget about it. That way when it comes time to change fuel line simply unscrew cap with no mess to clean.

If you think about it when is the last time you have seen a water bottle/Soda bottle leak around the threads? Its all personal preference I suppose and what you feel comfy with.
M Carr is offline Find More Posts by M Carr
Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted blade View Post
I didnt use any sealer around the threads on mine. Put the cap on tight and forget about it. That way when it comes time to change fuel line simply unscrew cap with no mess to clean.

If you think about it when is the last time you have seen a water bottle/Soda bottle leak around the threads? Its all personal preference I suppose and what you feel comfy with.
+1 I however do use sealant and or rubber washer for the bulhead fiting's but nothing on the cap
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
643 Posts

Hey guys I´m going to build a Beast but do you thing that an Evo 116 will fit and work fine with this airplane?? thanks a lot!!!
Memo Lomeli is offline Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by maverickma
United States, PA, Fogelsville
Joined Aug 2009
38 Posts
Please don't abuse me...but......

Would there be easy access to the front of the plane if someone was looking to put some very large lipos up there, typically right behind the firewall?? ...runs away in fear.....
maverickma is offline Find More Posts by maverickma
Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tenkuro
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2010
3 Posts

Sweet! How's the build coming along? I found an article that describes the basic stuff of this plane here: CLICK HERE

I hope you have a video of it coming soon. Can't wait to see it in action!
Tenkuro is offline Find More Posts by Tenkuro

Quick Reply