logo
Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,198 Posts
good reviews from the overseas flyers , and with it in kit form then at least you will know its been glued properly. I cant say how many arfs ive dumped a couple bottles of ca into
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by Jackdl
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Oct 2012
179 Posts
I built both the 40% and the 35% Hyperlite Slicks from Fibertech-n-More. The 40% has a ZDZ 110 and comes in at just under 27 lbs and flys great especially for slow 3D. The 35% has a GP 76 and weighs 21 lbs. It also flys great but I haven’t put as much time on it. I first built the larger one but then built the smaller one because it is easier to transport.

I had no trouble building them, in fact I enjoyed the build very much. At first I was nervous about the foam core wings and tail. I got a good vacuum bagging system and followed the build link for the 40%. My first time doing the vacuum bagging came out perfect! I was very pleased.

The other part of the build is the truss fuselage. You need to make accurate cuts of the 3/8” sq balsa to get a good fit for a strong fuselage. I found a good quality table saw like the one from MicroMark to be very helpful. When complete they both balanced perfectly with the servos in the rear - no added weight necessary. I got all the wood from National Balsa and if you tell what weight you want they are good at selecting what you need. I ordered light weight contest balsa for the sheeting and used carbon fiber reinforcement in the wings and tail.

Overall I was very pleased with the final result.
Jackdl is offline Find More Posts by Jackdl
Old 10-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Jackdl
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Oct 2012
179 Posts
By the way, I also built the mojo 60, mojo 40 and the Primo 60. They all fly great but have different flight characteristics than the larger slicks IMO.
Jackdl is offline Find More Posts by Jackdl
Old 10-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
Don't do it unless you carefully research the plane. I got lured into a new 60 CC extra kit from Diagma RC but it was not meant to be. The kit had a ton of fit and finish issues but much worse then that, the design was terrible. It was so tail heavy we had to move the wing tube back 2 inches and it still needed 2 pounds of lead in the nose to balance. Can you say tip stall?
A much better option is a profile kit from Wrong way RC. He sells the EE50 and the Lamsuk 50. I built the Lamsuk (laminar flow wing) 50 and it is one of the most amazing airplanes I've ever flown. at 15lbs with 60cc and wing area the size of 35% it's an over powered kite. Only the Mojo 60 comes close (another kit built classic). The Profile brotherhood is still alive and well, constantly tweaking kits and making them better and better. If you want aerobatic kit, I think it's the only way to go. Carden can definitely 3D but it's huge and expensive. I can't even fit one in my truck.

I got the itch again to build something,after building WW Lamsuk 50.I went to WW to see about his 50cc Extra Extra,but he had no listing on his website,so it may be gone now?
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 10-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,198 Posts
pilotrc sells wood kits of some of their planes
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,874 Posts
I knew in the early days of pilot sold kits,but didn't know they still did.I just never seen them advertise,you probably need to ask about them?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
I got the itch again to build something,after building WW Lamsuk 50.I went to WW to see about his 50cc Extra Extra,but he had no listing on his website,so it may be gone now?
He may just not carry them anymore. I would either contact Richard directly or head over to the profile brotherhood forums and poke around there.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,874 Posts
I lurked around the profile site for years and pipe in from time to time.I might just strip the Lamsuk down to the main fuse and rebuild it and the tail feathers.It's gain weight over the years just like me.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,751 Posts
I have to admit, I didn't like my Lamsuk at first. I was more of a stick banger at the time and it just wouldn't do the high energy stuff. Once I slowed it down and flew like it wanted everything changed. I call it the time machine as it just slows everything down to a crawl. It's like slowing the physics down in real flight!
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,874 Posts
It won't hold up to the high energy stuff, I broke the top and bottom rail at the rear of fuse and the elevator.Thats why it's put on weight,it needs to be rebuilt.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngflyer View Post
so far it seems like the fiber tech kits are the only contender. I am not interested in a bipe and the others are outside the US.
What about the Giles , MXS and Extra from J Tec , all 35% 100cc type airframes.
http://www.jtecrc.com/35extra300extended.htm
Dennis P is online now Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by youngflyer
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
What about the Giles , MXS and Extra from J Tec , all 35% 100cc type airframes.
http://www.jtecrc.com/35extra300extended.htm
I looked at those but seems like the "kits" are either more or about the same as similar sized ARF's.
youngflyer is offline Find More Posts by youngflyer
Old 10-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngflyer View Post
I looked at those but seems like the "kits" are either more or about the same as similar sized ARF's.
Exactly, why do you think there are so few company's making kits anymore! It is hard to make quality kits with good quality materials in North America for what is being banged out over seas. That is where you have to decide what is important to you. Building any of these kits in this complete thread is not about saving money. Take care
Dennis P is online now Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by youngflyer
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Exactly, why do you think there are so few company's making kits anymore! It is hard to make quality kits with good quality materials in North America for what is being banged out over seas. That is where you have to decide what is important to you. Building any of these kits in this complete thread is not about saving money. Take care
Good point, its not necessarily about the money, I just had an itch to build but it doesn't make any logical sense to pay more and do more for me.
youngflyer is offline Find More Posts by youngflyer

Quick Reply