Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
Wow! I'm very impressed with your work! I've always wanted to build one myself but have been intimidated. I find your progress very inspiring and one of these days I may give it a go.
Thanks Trixie, but after looking at your u tube videos, I would be more than happy to give you all of my rebuilding skills for just a tad of your flying skills!! Fantastic flying skill!
billd is offline Find More Posts by billd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by purcilas
Team PAS
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2011
328 Posts
It broke the spar on the leading edge of the wing. It was a very clean cut. I already expoxied everything last night and will be buying some fiber cloth today to put on top of the wing. I really dont want to open the wing up as my building skills are horrible so i will try to put the cloth on top of it unless it stands out too much.

I will also be buying struts as i think that would of avoided this.
purcilas is offline Find More Posts by purcilas
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas View Post
It broke the spar on the leading edge of the wing. It was a very clean cut. I already expoxied everything last night and will be buying some fiber cloth today to put on top of the wing. I really dont want to open the wing up as my building skills are horrible so i will try to put the cloth on top of it unless it stands out too much.

I will also be buying struts as i think that would of avoided this.
Robart struts? How will that keep it from tip stalling? Did you check your lateral CG. I know alot of pilots dont check it and say that it can be trimmed out. But I always check mine. I figure the less trim needed the better.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Trixie
is a total maniac :)
Joined Mar 2012
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post
Thanks Trixie, but after looking at your u tube videos, I would be more than happy to give you all of my rebuilding skills for just a tad of your flying skills!! Fantastic flying skill!
Thank you much!
Trixie is offline Find More Posts by Trixie
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Find More Posts by FHHuber
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post
Robart struts? How will that keep it from tip stalling? Did you check your lateral CG. I know alot of pilots dont check it and say that it can be trimmed out. But I always check mine. I figure the less trim needed the better.
Correct... though lateral balance would just affect which wing drops when you stall.

Springier struts on the wheels might prevent some minor damage in a rough landing... but if you sheared the wing then better landing gear would have had no significant effect on the damage when it came down on the wingtip.

Stalls on approach shortly before intended touchdown are always from inadequate airspeed.
FHHuber is offline Find More Posts by FHHuber
Old 04-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHHuber View Post
Correct... though lateral balance would just affect which wing drops when you stall.

Springier struts on the wheels might prevent some minor damage in a rough landing... but if you sheared the wing then better landing gear would have had no significant effect on the damage when it came down on the wingtip.

Stalls on approach shortly before intended touchdown are always from inadequate airspeed.
Concur on airspeed during landing. Even if the plane is a floater.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Very bad day at the field. Flew the Pt 19 again. wing snapped in half when I landing. Fuselage in tact . Wing is toast. Decided to fly my profile with the 55 AX. Went to reach over the prop to disconnect the glow driver. 60 stitches later I'm home from the ER, No ligament or nerver damage. Note to self. Disconnect glow driver after walking behind the plane and never reach over or around the prop to do it!!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by purcilas
Team PAS
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2011
328 Posts
Oh crap!! That sucks Bill! Glad to hear you are ok. Are you planning on fixing the wing?
purcilas is offline Find More Posts by purcilas
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas View Post
Oh crap!! That sucks Bill! Glad to hear you are ok. Are you planning on fixing the wing?
I put it in the burn barrel at the field, but going to retrieve it tonight and maybe, but it shattered pretty good. I heard a crack in the wing when I placed it one the CG machine, did not see any damage. but may be there was. I did land hard, but did not expect the wing to explode like it did.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Trixie
is a total maniac :)
Joined Mar 2012
595 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about all this, glad you're OK.
Darn shame about the PT-19. Hope you can get the wing fixed up.
Trixie is offline Find More Posts by Trixie
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
Ouch! Sorry to hear about all this, glad you're OK.
Darn shame about the PT-19. Hope you can get the wing fixed up.
Thanks Trixie, I found a hangar 9 1.20 size wing that I think will work with the PT 19. Hand is doing good, only minor swelling
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by billd
Bill
Nottingham. PA
Joined Dec 2009
105 Posts
I can rebuild the wing, better than before I think. Gonna try tonight! Getting the stitches out pf my thumb Friday. Hope to be flying again this weekend!!

Quick Reply