logo
Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Maiden test flight completed today. No trim adjustments needed on any axis. Roll is extremely centered around the center axis. I had it balanced at the very rear of the recommended CG range. It is a little tail heavy in this configuration. I will move my batteries forward.
I have mixed feelings on the canisters. Very very quiet, its like flying an electric plane. I think it might be too rich on top end 5970 rpm on Falcon 28x9 carbon, I cannot tell by the sound. Throttle was very quick to respond no hesitation.

Second flight I did not idle up after take off 2 minutes into flight I did a blender down to about 60 feet and engine was dead, safe off feild damage free landing was accomplished.
Third flight was a successful full flight of 12 minutes.
Very impressed with the PAU RC Edge 540T it will take some getting used too on the lack of sound, I compare it to a Saito 82 or 125 four stroke glow.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
How do the flying characteristics compare with your Viper?
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
It felt a little tail heavy, but I balanced it there. I moved the batteries forward on top of fuel tank and installed a spinner for tomorrows flight. I need to fly it more before I can make a better comparison. First impressions its very similar to Viper, the Viper seems a little more forging in slow speed recovery but its most likely due to very rearward CG.
The morning started out overcast low ceiling, evolved into mostly cloudy and dark clouds then cleared off to blue skies. The plane was very visible in all sky conditions.
Last edited by Festivus; 02-26-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
Thanks, Joe. You know how I'm obsessive about great visibility, especially in adverse sky conditions. I've just managed to get mine out of the box after a couple of weeks cleaning the garage and my shop. Hopefully more progress on Sunday. BTW, your fuse is #018 and mine is #019. From the same litter.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:39 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
I moved the batteries (16.3 oz) forward 19 inches and added a spinner. The added forward weight made a very noticeable change in the flight characteristics, is was greatly improved. I really liked the way it was flying until the engine developed a intermittent ignition cut off miss.

I will be checking and replacing extension and connections on the ignition and the power switch.
Today's weather conditions was thick fog and light intermittent mist with occasional low cloud bases of 150' AGL. Plane visibility was excellent except inside low clouds
Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Added PTFE tape wrapping to prevent headers from leaking.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Today I replaced the power lead to the ignition, the servo plug just did not seem perfect. Replaced the on off power switch just because I am eliminating all possibilities.

I will report back after a test flight.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
After another flying day could not fly this plane due to ignition cutting off.
I removed the DA Leggo block ignition wire by soldering a TDRC 20ga wire direct to ignition feed.
Problem solved.
Getting a little more dialed in with the control throws, plane is very stable in a hoover, recovers from any maneuver with ease.
Engine is brand new approx one and a half hours flying time. Hoovering is for less than a minute and with the cool temps and good baffling in flight telemetry has not gotten over 200F.
Last edited by Festivus; 03-16-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Ignition issue completely fixed with removing the factory connector. Starting to like this plane more
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Festivus, i had the same thing happen with 2 of my 4 da's. It is standard procudure now to ditch the power pole connector.

As far as flying this particular edge goes: i get into high speed high G turns and the tail will come out from underneath it. Its the only bad habit it has. I dont know what causes it.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by astrohog
movin' on
Bellingham, WA
Joined Jul 2007
2,191 Posts
If I get lazy with my new DA's and decide to keep the Anderson connectors, I simply fill the ends with silicone, it works as a strain relief on the wires. Never had one fail that I have silicone, but I normally just cut off the Anderson connector and solder on a regular old JR-type connector.

Festivus, you have quite the fleet of PAU's there!

I just picked up my new PAU Extra 330LX today. All I can say is WOW! Herve completely knocked it out of the park with this new release and I will be happy to replace my old, tired, PAU Extra 300SP with this one!

Just have to finish up the old-school CARF 330L that I picked up recently, then finish up a 1/4 scale cub that I started at the beginning of last year, then I can get going on the new PAU!!

Regards,

Astro
astrohog is offline Find More Posts by astrohog
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
I am trying to collect the whole set The Viper and only one of the Edges is mine, the other is my nephew. I am building the blue 43% Edge 540T now. My friend is building the orange 30% 540T. I also want an Extra from Herve, he does a great job on the color schemes and quality control.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
I have to concur on the quality. I'm slowly building the 36% Edge and I'm really enjoying the process. The assembly quality, supplied hardware (4-40!!), gluing, fit/finish is actually slightly better than my most recent EF Extra, although the EF itself was excellent.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
After flying this Edge and getting it dialed in I truly like every aspect except the available power. This plane with a DA 120 on KS 3086 canisters with a 28X9 Falcon carbon-fiber prop just does not have the vertical or acceleration of my PAU MXS Viper with a GP 123. For the record the Viper is one pound heavier than the Edge. I have purchased a set of Planebender Proflow medium canisters to swap out and see if any performance difference.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
768 Posts
So would you purchase this plane again?
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers

Quick Reply