logo
Old 07-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Anyone try this tubing? What is it made of?

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-flex-Fuel...4e0DD2VZ7XuW1I
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-18-2021, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Anyone try this tubing? What is it made of?

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-flex-Fuel...4e0DD2VZ7XuW1I
start reading on post 4 and keep going. revival of thread from 2007

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17907
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 07-18-2021, 10:56 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
So it seems to have the same issues as Tygon (asking for a friend, I only use Viton).
Old 07-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
lol!!!

viton is verified and confirmed as the gold standard by the FG seasoned pilots.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 07-18-2021, 12:42 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
And chemical engineers
Old 07-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
And chemical engineers
Tru dat!
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 07-26-2021, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Apr 2008
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
lol!!!

viton is verified and confirmed as the gold standard by the FG seasoned pilots.

What is the objection to Proflex? From what I read, Viton is a brand name of the same material as Proflex. True/False?
rcbobp is online now Find More Posts by rcbobp
Old 07-26-2021, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Cut off an inch of Proflex and soak it in a jar of fuel/oil and see if it changes. Options are always good.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobp View Post
What is the objection to Proflex? From what I read, Viton is a brand name of the same material as Proflex. True/False?
From this thread I don't believe I have read that anyone has any objections to Proflex.....it's new to the market, made for and by a company making stuff for the RC world. If it's all they claim then it's a solid option to Viton for use where complete immersion in fuel will be the norm.
Both brands at their base are FKM but Proflex appears to have a modification that allows it to be more flexible than the typical Viton tubing of similar diameter/thickness
Viton has been around for industry use for too many years to count....there's no doubt it works in our applications for chemical resistance based on end-users posts.
So now with Proflex you have a second, solid option.....but you're better off buying the 10 foot lengths of Proflex, otherwise the price is about 30 to 50% higher than the same length of Viton.
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 07-26-2021, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
I’m not sure why one would want it softer than the 60A Durometer McMaster Viton. It works great inside the tank clunk line and is stiff enough to stay tight on the fuel fittings and fuel dot.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:30 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
I thought it was time to test the blue stuff ("stuff" because I have no idea what it is) that comes with Skywing.
The test procedure is the same as the others cut a 1 inch long piece put it in the fuel (no alcohol, unleaded 91 octane with Stihl 50:1) and let’s see what happens over time.
The blue stuff grew and absorbed the gasoline just like the yellow Tygon does. In addition, at 0°F it gets stiff and hard just like it was a piece of polystyrene (Viton gets stiff at 0F as well).

I will leave the sample in the gas and measure it in a week. I suspect that it will start shrinking as the plasticizers are leached out, just as Tygon does.

The last picture shows a brand new, unused, Skywing 73 Slick fuel tank that I replaced the red stuff clunk line with Viton. As you can see, the red stuff is so rigid it does not deflect much but the Viton with the standard clunk reaches the corner of the tank.

Bottom line: only Viton stays unchanged (chemically speaking) so far as tested.
Last edited by ghoffman; 10-15-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo
7 KCAB driver
Waterloo, Iowa
Joined Jul 2006
131 Posts
Wish I could ascertain the type of tubing the blue "Aerotrend EasyFlex Gas/Diesel Fuel Tubing" was. I have a fuel can I installed it in/on ten years ago and while coloration has changed it is still flexible and I am able to see through it.
All the other blue colored tubing I have tried is worthless and nothing like the Aerotrend. I have been using Viton for several years now without issue however it would be nice to find something that is transparent.
Whiskey Bravo is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo
Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 10-16-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by T-ster
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Feb 2009
196 Posts
I will be curious your results of the Aerotrend. I purchase a tank that came with blue line (not sure what the brand of line is) inside the tank for a 100cc plane. It probably is 4 or 5 years old and don't fly it very often, so not exactly new. I had a deadstick in the air a few weeks ago and landed it with no damage and got one more flight, but then wouldn't start. I took it home and when I looked closer noticed the blue line inside the tank at the nipple had separated. A portion remaining on the nipple and the remainder laying in the bottom of the tank. I removed the tank, cut off the piece still on the nipple and tried to simply push the remaining tubing back on the nipple. It split before I got it all the way on. The line had rotted and was in bad shape. Bottom line, blue line (whatever the brand) is not for me..... I would even use Tygon in the tank over that. Tygon might get stiff, but I have not had it disintegrate like this line did. I ordered Viton and will use it from here on out.
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
Old 10-15-2021, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,093 Posts
T-ster, that was the same experience I had with a Kuza tank. Of course, there are a couple of dozen tanks just like Kuza, including EF and others.

Many of these "fuel" lines that look sort of like Tygon 4040A (regardless of color) are not irradiated PVC like 4040A. Some are plain PVC and some are polyurethane. They are sold as fuel line but are garbage. The blue Aerotrend tubing, back in the day when it was available, was like a longer lasting, slightly more pliable Tygon 4040A. I never did find out what polymer it was.

I've been using genuine Viton (FKM) from McMaster since 2003 for my fuel jugs. I started to use it for in-tank applications around 2005 after thinner wall, lower durometer became available. I've not yet had a line harden or fail in any way.

Based on a recommendation from a friend, earlier this year I ordered some FKM line from AliExpress. Unfortunately, it was total crap. Too stiff to use and honestly, it also smelled wrong. I don't know what it is but it's definitely not FKM. It's not going in any of my fuel tanks.

I just ordered Fluorosilicone tubing from McMaster today. It has better ethanol and low temp performance than Viton, not that low temp is an issue here in Florida. It's $5/ft vs $4.50/ft for genuine Viton. Mainly, I'm investigating whether, at the same 60 durometer, it's slightly more pliable than Viton for better use in my smaller gas tanks.

Anyhow, don't buy this junk on AliExpress:
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 10-16-2021, 06:38 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
I tested the genuine Tygon 4040A, no significant difference, it was just as unacceptable as the others.

Quick Reply