logo
Old 07-19-2021, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,962 Posts
fwiw, the chokes do not have to be connected. the rear can remain open while the front is used to prime the front cylinder for starting.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-19-2021, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by Richg
United States, MI, Tecumseh
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
I'll try it-never have. You still have to deal with the stupid cam over effect that you have to pull from the bottom.
Richg is offline Find More Posts by Richg
Old 07-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
It is getting to where it does start pretty easy.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,967 Posts
this is a solution for you

if you were interested.

this is reason I was asking you all the questions.

If you were inclined, you can do something like this

and using small drill bits and taps, you can modify the arms and place a 2ndary choke arm that is at an angle.

like this:
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 07-19-2021, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
Spend that much for an engine, shouldn't have to buy stuff like that.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
Engine vrs handling characteristics

So I am racking my brain trying to figure why the handling of this ARS is so strange vrs the older ARS that I had that only had a twin DLE120 in it. First a few "facts"-the inverted 45 deg upline says the plane is balanced. The T4 weighs about 1.5# more than the regular 120 but the center of mass is shifted back further than the regular twin. With that in mind the resultant "torque" from the CG of the plane is almost identical (Fxd = fxD). The roll rate is good and pretty predictable. The elevators and rudder are where it is just twitchy. Med to high speed pass and pull up vertical it will all but corkscrew in on itself unless you fight it with rudder. I only have on high rates about 30 deg of elevator and I know I am not using that much to throw it into this condition.

So my 2 AM staring at the ceiling theory is that the heavier motor with the shorter torque arm from the CG is what is making it all squirrely-just like a short coupled bi plane.
Thoughts? And if you agree-how do I fix it?
Old 07-23-2021, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
6,146 Posts
Don’t discount the effects of that extra engine weight even when maintaining the same CG location. Some years ago when repowering some older airframes that had very heavy engines with newer lighter engines, I often noticed the same effects in reverse. Getting rid of the excess weight completely changed the flight characteristics of those planes. Some planes that were less than a joy to fly became docile and fun to toss around. The simple elevator pull or push was one of the areas that were noticed the most. Maybe not the issue in your case but worth consideration.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 07-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,962 Posts
you need to gently pull vertical and see what it does. then start adding trim until it pulls a straight line. also, take it up to 1000 ft and come straight down, thumb off the ailerons and watch to see if it rolls. I have a four banger in my 125" Laser and it flies fine.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-23-2021, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
I'll try that but not sure if it is a good comparison-that size laser is almost designed for a big 200cc quad.
Jesky is having a Jesky-fest the middle of next month just a few miles over. I am going to take it there and have the factory boys give it a whirl and see what they think.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
We have an event tomorrow that a young hot stick is supposed to be at-I will have him fly it and in a couple weeks there is "Jeskyfest" that Tim says that Andrew should be at and he will take a look. If it comes down to the plane or the engine-while the engine is great-I'll go with the plane.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
Update

So like other relationships-it's not you , it's me. Chris Haas was nice enuf to giv e it a few whirls and after first said-you need all the elevator you can get. What? It's already elevator happy. No, by putting more elevator in, it will calm it down. Ahhhh..ok...? Just changing holes in the links, I got it to about 45 deg and he said that was way better and was doing those silly things that I am dreaming about. Hey-Wait-NO! That plane can't do that stuff that low!!! Oh-maybe it can. sumbitch. He didn't like the throttle curve but was impressed with the engine and I must say it is just getting better all the time. So apparently I need more practice. While he was doing that hovering and rolling stuff the 275 deg rear head temp alarm was bleeping-not really sure what it went to but a quick lap shut it up.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
And the choking front carb only didn't work so well-best to do both.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by andydallas
United States, TX, Sunnyvale
Joined Jan 2016
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richg View Post
So like other relationships-it's not you , it's me. Chris Haas was nice enuf to giv e it a few whirls and after first said-you need all the elevator you can get. What? It's already elevator happy. No, by putting more elevator in, it will calm it down. Ahhhh..ok...? Just changing holes in the links, I got it to about 45 deg and he said that was way better and was doing those silly things that I am dreaming about. Hey-Wait-NO! That plane can't do that stuff that low!!! Oh-maybe it can. sumbitch. He didn't like the throttle curve but was impressed with the engine and I must say it is just getting better all the time. So apparently I need more practice. While he was doing that hovering and rolling stuff the 275 deg rear head temp alarm was bleeping-not really sure what it went to but a quick lap shut it up.

For me that one line is it,,,I need more, and more and more practice, and thats just to get decent at flying
andydallas is online now Find More Posts by andydallas
Old 08-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Richg
Joined Apr 2013
143 Posts
Since I now understand that it is me I approached with a new attitude-fly it angry with a bit softer thumb and we seem to be coming to a better agreement. Beautiful day here in SE MI to fly-tomorrow promises to be the same.

Tached it and have 900 at idle and 6700 static. Flew it hard (for me) and never got the 275 deg alarm. May make a change to a 1500mL tank-the 1000 is about 1/4 after 10 min, little thin but the 1500 just seems so overkill. Cleaned the bottom before I flew and it was clean after so the new engine schmutz seems to be gone. It runs great.

Quick Reply