logo
Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Reka
Joined Aug 2020
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
How will you achieve this with the canopy in place?
The first Pilot Kits that came out used a generic manual that quote the same CG for each airframe that came after it. This was corrected per airframe and the CoG location is laster printed into the sides of the main load box running down the fuselage. Does your YAK have this marking ? A circle with a cross hairs through it.

Page 38:
https://pilot-rc.com/Downloads/50cc.pdf
No it dosent have marking like on my other Pilot planes.I take the string on the outside of the fuselage and then i slide the wings on so it touching the string,wings dont come all in but close.
Reka is offline Find More Posts by Reka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHicks View Post
Pretty touchy aren't we? Tough holiday?

I was agreeing with your idea of moving the CG forward from suggested. No more, no less. If I bent your brain suggesting going as far as the front of the tube, my apologies.

My main point, was that the right CG is going to depend on the flyer. After 15 years or so of flying very similar planes, and helping many others with CG issues, clearly, I don't need to be familiar with this particular plane to know that. I would be willing to bet the plane could be flown successfully by anyone with the skill to fly something like this with the CG on the front of the wing tube. We ARE talking about a CG for a maiden, right? Something to let you fly and start your testing? -Al

exactly.

The suggested CG is pretty conservative anyway and is way ahead of the Neutral point of aerodynamic surfaces. The plane still flies well with the CG behind the suggested 183mm.
People get bent out of shape with these data points and then neglect all the other balance requirements to make a plane fly straight and level without much need for trim correction.

CG on the front of the wing tube is even more conservative and will likely require elevator jockeying to get the land nice and smooth. The trouble with this is that inexperienced pilots then bring it in too slow, use too much elevator and it stalls out of the sky either smashing a wing or the landing gear.

Advice has been given. I'm out
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,836 Posts
Agreed Timble, too far forward often translates directly to hot landings.

I've said my piece as well.
AHicks is online now Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 01-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
6,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn View Post
Reka, I just remembered there is this CG calculator from Ecalc. You may use it as a double check for additional peace of mind on the maiden.
Ronaldo
Dang, give me a tape measure and a piece of paper and I could calc the CG is less time than it takes to use that program. Seems overly complicated to me. Calculating CG must be another one of those lost arts in modern RC flying.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 01-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
261 Posts
I agree, Id calculated it much faster using basic geometry but just wanted to provide a reliable source which could be used by anyone.
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old 01-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Dang, give me a tape measure and a piece of paper and I could calc the CG is less time than it takes to use that program. Seems overly complicated to me. Calculating CG must be another one of those lost arts in modern RC flying.
ditto but its a great resource
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 07-31-2021, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by tbilotti
Joined Sep 2008
33 Posts
I have the Pilot laser 88" W/S and the 67" W/S. When I balance both planes using the C/G marking with the carbon fiber tube through the pre-drilled holes in the fuse and wing, both planes on the maiden flight came out very tail heavy. I recommend balancing at the center of the wing tube or just in front of the tube.
tbilotti is offline Find More Posts by tbilotti
Old 07-31-2021, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by flysrc
Newmarket
Joined Oct 2007
83 Posts
I’ve got a pilot yak 50cc. Balanced on the wing tube. Can move further back. 1 of my batteries dislodged (2cell 2400mah lipo) and moved to the rear former of the fuselage. Didn’t realized but new something was afoot as it was the best 3D flight I’ve had to date. Plan on relocating that battery to the same former just securing it in a mounting plate.
D.
flysrc is offline Find More Posts by flysrc

Quick Reply