logo
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by rdefrei2
United States, FL, Wesley Chapel
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
Discussion
Jeti Duplex DC/DS-16 2.4GHz

Hi, just wondering if it's a good idea to replace my Futaba 14MZ for a Jeti Duplex DC or DS-16.
I'm really temped.

The gap ($$$) Futaba created between the 14MZ to the 18MZ is just to big. If they would come out with some type of telemetry for the 14MZ here in US I wouldn't need to change but unfortunately we don't have this option and they're not planing on add one.
I do need to have some type of telemetry on my new plane in order to check the cylinder temperature of a inline engine.

Any advice ?

Thanks.
rdefrei2 is offline Find More Posts by rdefrei2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by felker14
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Feb 2007
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefrei2 View Post
Hi, just wondering if it's a good idea to replace my Futaba 14MZ for a Jeti Duplex DC or DS-16.
I'm really temped.

The gap ($$$) Futaba created between the 14MZ to the 18MZ is just to big. If they would come out with some type of telemetry for the 14MZ here in US I wouldn't need to change but unfortunately we don't have this option and they're not planing on add one.
I do need to have some type of telemetry on my new plane in order to check the cylinder temperature of a inline engine.

Any advice ?

Thanks.
From what I have read and watched on you tube this radio is quite impressive. There is 90+ page thread on this radio on rc groups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693301 I have Futaba 12Z and this could be my next radio. Because of the gap ($$$)
felker14 is offline Find More Posts by felker14
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
+1 Felker,

I also have the 12z and am considering purchasing a used 14mz since I really don't feel it necessary to fork over $3 grand for the 18mz.

That DS-16 simply looks awesome and Jeti is highly responsive to incorporate new features and fixes.
Plus I dig having the screen on top like that.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
Just bought the Jeti DS/16. Already sent the money for the pre-order.
I'm just frustrated with Futaba not having Telemetry for the 14MZ. I've been a Futaba user for the past 30y.
$3k on a radio is just to much. You have tons of options on the Jeti and you can customize the way you want.
I will post some pictures after I receive my order. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Joined Jun 2009
739 Posts
I have the DC-16. I have not yet switch my planes to it but did two helicopters.

The telemetry is great and easy to use with voice possible for all values assigned to either a switch or an alarm for low this or high that.

I come from a long line of JR 10-12 XG11 and I don't think I will look back anytime soon.
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
I'm still waiting to receive my Jeti DC-16.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
United States, GA, Watkinsville
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts
I looked at it at SEFF this week, and I can say it feels a lot better than the rest of the current crop that I have flown with or held. Most of the current generation feel like toys compared to my old 9303 or a 12X, this thing feels like a industrial control or tool. I liked the screen size and position too, but I did notice one problem immediately, the screen is polarized, and my polarized sunglasses blacked it out.... A lot of people may be looking for new sunglasses after they get one !

Jason
Spdstr280Z is offline Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Jedei120
Orange, Texas
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
Buy JETI equipment from Lou at www.circlecityhelis.com. You will get better pricing on your items!
Jedei120 is offline Find More Posts by Jedei120
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedei120 View Post
Buy JETI equipment from Lou at www.circlecityhelis.com. You will get better pricing on your items!
The price is the same as advertised on the Jeti site
Flynbulldog is offline Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Orange, Texas
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynbulldog View Post
The price is the same as advertised on the Jeti site
And it will be that way on all the dealers sites. You have to call for varying pricing! Thats the case most of the time with anything you buy in this hobby. Unless you just love to pay MAP.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Most sites will give you the discount once it is in your cart.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Orange, Texas
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
The call I made to www.circlecityhelis.com before Columbus day yielded 12% off + $5.00 off plus free shipping on my entire JETI purchase. I also paid everything in full including my preordered items!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefrei2 View Post
I'm really temped.

Any advice ?

Thanks.
I'm tempted to go the jeti route too. The case is machined from solid billet aluminum and the gimbal assemblies are all metal - mostly aluminum with 9 bearings in each unit and completely adjustable. I love the feeling of a serious piece of equipment rather than the plastic cheap toys that radios have devolved to.

My only questions are the programing and the reliability of the protocol.

How intuitive is this radio and do they make it simple to do things I commonly do like pair servos and match them?

I'm a firm believer in Futaba's 2.4 protocols. I don't want satellites and I don't want to give that reliability up.
What protocol does Jeti use?

I'm just now getting back into the hobby and I have no radio gear so starting with any brand right now would work fine (I have no other gear to switch out)

(and Thanks Guys, I didn't know about the discounts when you call)
Flynbulldog is offline Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
Old 10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Orange, Texas
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
Every manufacturer today selling 2.4 protocols are reliable no matter what you read on these forums. Our club we formed several years ago has exclusively flown JR/Spektrum 2.4 powersafe and non-powersafe receivers. One issue surfaced in all that time which involved a fellow that added a Smartfly board. Once he removed the Smartfly board that issue went away. Other than that there hasn't been any communication issues. Don't recite to me the proven Smartfly system because I don't even care. Not trying to down their products.

Two of us have bought JETI DS-16's now in our club because of JR's ********! By BS I mean the abandonment of their DSMX customers in lieu of their own 2.4 protocol and new toy like plastic Transformers looking case designs. My JETI hardware hasn't arrived yet and the other fellow is putting his together in a new Extreme Flight 104" Extra 300. In all the phone discussions and reading I have done to date I have found the JETI:

1. Is being rung out by 3D Hobby Shop Joe Smith. He would be a great source of information!
2. I can't find any complaints about JETI's 2.4 Duplex EX 2.4 protocol. The JETI is also sporting Twin RF's. You can set it up if you wish with two receivers on each separate RF link. Half the plane on one and half on the other! IF YOU WISH!
3. The manufacturer listens to their customers wishes and provides firmware updates. Latest update 2.2 added servo balancing ON ANY SERVO. Get any of the other manufacturers to add software for you! GOOD LUCK!
4. The gimbals are CNC machined with 9 ball bearings and hall sensors. Virtually you can't wear them out. And are the smoothest you have ever felt on any system.
5. The case is CNC machined from solid stock.
6. Programmable accelerometer switching.
7. Voice telemetry info and alarms.
8. Their telemetry actually works.
9. A true 16 channel system unlike the DX18 (10 ch).
10. Lithium 3200mah Transmitter battery.

Too many features to list here. Download and read the manual!

Oh and one more thing. It will be on the front cover of the November issue of AMA's Model Aviation!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by wahoo
Joined Feb 2006
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedei120 View Post
Every manufacturer today selling 2.4 protocols are reliable no matter what you read on these forums. Our club we formed several years ago has exclusively flown JR/Spektrum 2.4 powersafe and non-powersafe receivers. One issue surfaced in all that time which involved a fellow that added a Smartfly board. Once he removed the Smartfly board that issue went away. Other than that there hasn't been any communication issues. Don't recite to me the proven Smartfly system because I don't even care. Not trying to down their products.

Two of us have bought JETI DS-16's now in our club because of JR's ********! By BS I mean the abandonment of their DSMX customers in lieu of their own 2.4 protocol and new toy like plastic Transformers looking case designs. My JETI hardware hasn't arrived yet and the other fellow is putting his together in a new Extreme Flight 104" Extra 300. In all the phone discussions and reading I have done to date I have found the JETI:

1. Is being rung out by 3D Hobby Shop Joe Smith. He would be a great source of information!
2. I can't find any complaints about JETI's 2.4 Duplex EX 2.4 protocol. The JETI is also sporting Twin RF's. You can set it up if you wish with two receivers on each separate RF link. Half the plane on one and half on the other! IF YOU WISH!
3. The manufacturer listens to their customers wishes and provides firmware updates. Latest update 2.2 added servo balancing ON ANY SERVO. Get any of the other manufacturers to add software for you! GOOD LUCK!
4. The gimbals are CNC machined with 9 ball bearings and hall sensors. Virtually you can't wear them out. And are the smoothest you have ever felt on any system.
5. The case is CNC machined from solid stock.
6. Programmable accelerometer switching.
7. Voice telemetry info and alarms.
8. Their telemetry actually works.
9. A true 16 channel system unlike the DX18 (10 ch).
10. Lithium 3200mah Transmitter battery.

Too many features to list here. Download and read the manual!

Oh and one more thing. It will be on the front cover of the November issue of AMA's Model Aviation!

Sounds like an ill informed or very narrow minded club to me......
wahoo is offline Find More Posts by wahoo

Quick Reply