Find More Posts by vwchad
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts
Re: Bill Hempel 100cc Yak-55M?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMadDog View Post
One of the guys on here (ctnich) had gotten his ks86 rear dump to fit with 10.25" of header, I asked DA about it and they said to make it no less than 11". Another pic was posted (and I can't find it) showing that another person had cut through the angled piece at the back of the tunnel and pushed the can through with a new hole behind it for an exhaust exit.

When all was said and done, I put the KS on the shelf and hacked up the cowl for the pitts muffler I had on the DA before.
I checked last night and because I'm still using the flex header that came with the China can I think it will work just fine. I have just a hair under 11" of header and if I put a little more bend in it I think it will work. I really don't want to put the pitts on it after having a can. Even if it wasn't the greatest can I still prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
I dont want to hack up my cowl either, a pitts is what i had on my last yak. i was just thinking since im at the beginning of the build i just wanted to weigh my options. i dont fly at any fields where sound is an issue. I know im a newbie but which set up is going to give me more power? a can exhaust or a pitts style muffler? obviously a tuned exhaust would be the best but it doesnt look like that would be possible without some surgery.
You are going to get more power out of the canister setup, but as FlyingMadDog says, you want to be mindful of the header length. Most, if not all, pitts style mufflers rob a bit of power. They just make it quieter than the side dump.
vwchad is offline Find More Posts by vwchad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmike View Post
Guys i got my K&S 86 can to fit and used the soft mount system instead of the plywood mounts without having to hack up anything! Ill try to post pics tomorrow.
That would be great to see before I start my install.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by lebowski
little lebowski urban acheiver
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts

Quote:
Guys i got my K&S 86 can to fit and used the soft mount system instead of the plywood mounts without having to hack up anything! Ill try to post pics tomorrow.
yea if i could see some picks on that that would be very helpful,thanks.
lebowski is offline Find More Posts by lebowski
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by FlyingMadDog
United States, IA, Homestead
Joined Jun 2009
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwchad View Post
I checked last night and because I'm still using the flex header that came with the China can I think it will work just fine. I have just a hair under 11" of header and if I put a little more bend in it I think it will work. I really don't want to put the pitts on it after having a can. Even if it wasn't the greatest can I still prefer it.

You are going to get more power out of the canister setup, but as FlyingMadDog says, you want to be mindful of the header length. Most, if not all, pitts style mufflers rob a bit of power. They just make it quieter than the side dump.
How's the chinese flex header holding up? I was thinking of using them on the 100cc, since you need virtually no drop (Even 25mm is too much, looking at the MTW Knuckle Headers as well).
FlyingMadDog is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMadDog
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMadDog View Post
How's the chinese flex header holding up? I was thinking of using them on the 100cc, since you need virtually no drop (Even 25mm is too much, looking at the MTW Knuckle Headers as well).
It seems to be OK, that is why I decided to stick with it for now. No leaks yet. You really have to muscle it into the shape you want, but it holds that shape well. The flange and pipe are a little thin, but seem fine still. Not sure how much of an impact the long flex section has on power, noise, etc. It would be interesting to compare it to a DA flex header. Definately takes the guess work out of the installation. Just bend until it fits.

On a side note, I had to cut about 3" off of the end of it when I originally installed it. It was over 14" long out of the box. This was just straight pipe, not the flex part. For some reason I decided to keep this piece. If necessary, I should be able to splice a bit of it back in to get above the 11" recommended minimum for the K&S 86, even though I'm just barely shy of the 11" now (maybe .25" or so). I will only do this if I end up extending the canister tunnel though.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by jmcmike
Carefree,AZ
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts

OK guys,pics of my can install! I had to cut down the aluminum spacer that came with the can to get it lower in the tunnel but then just bolted it to a piece of aluminum plate that was bolted to the landing gear plate. Hope this helps

Name: Good 3.jpg
Views: 167
Size: 40.6 KB
Description:

Name: Good 4.jpg
Views: 212
Size: 59.2 KB
Description:

Name: Good 6.jpg
Views: 178
Size: 52.9 KB
Description:

Name: Good 8.jpg
Views: 175
Size: 68.2 KB
Description:

Name: good 1.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 50.0 KB
Description:

Name: good 2.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 32.6 KB
Description:

Name: good 5.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 52.1 KB
Description:

Name: good 7.jpg
Views: 185
Size: 52.4 KB
Description:
jmcmike is offline Find More Posts by jmcmike
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

jmcmike,
Thanks for posting those pics. Very helpful. You only use one of those mounts though? I wouldn't have thought that one would be enough, but if it works, then great! Where did you get that mount from?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts

jmcmike,
thanks for the pics. the tail is that heavy that all your batts are that far foward?? Im probably gonna run a choke servo to add some useable weight up there but **** maybe i should wait and get that MT-70 engine just for some more engine weight? kidding on that of course ill use my da. looks like 3x 2300 mah a123's? or are those 1100's?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Carefree,AZ
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts

Chad, i got the mount from DA,they were out of the plywood mounts so i went with this to try. Its made to only use one mount as it mounts in the middle of the can were its the thickest,it would not work at the ends without wraping the can to take up some slack. Trust me one is very solid once you get the header attached,probably 30 flight on my tail heavy yak so for and love it!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Carefree,AZ
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
jmcmike,
thanks for the pics. the tail is that heavy that all your batts are that far foward?? Im probably gonna run a choke servo to add some useable weight up there but **** maybe i should wait and get that MT-70 engine just for some more engine weight? kidding on that of course ill use my da. looks like 3x 2300 mah a123's? or are those 1100's?
1100mah ! I need to make a new battery mount thats a little longer as its still tail heavy. Rich at wrong way batt made those up for me with 24" leads that plug right into my switch(wolverien) using deans plugs. Its Bodywerks KISS setup,keep it simple
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts

Quote:
1100mah ! I need to make a new battery mount thats a little longer as its still tail heavy. Rich at wrong way batt made those up for me with 24" leads that plug right into my switch(wolverien) using deans plugs. Its Bodywerks KISS setup,keep it simple
im planning on running two 2300's for my rx and one for the ign. hope i dont have to put all three up there as well. its a nice lookin mount for them though... where is your cg at? just wonderin. ive been told that you want it alittle engine heavy for 3d flight.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Thanks for the mount info!

My batteries are over the engine box on a ply plate too. 3 2300mah A123's. I can fly a week straight without charging.........
Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Carefree,AZ
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts

I think im still 1-2" behind the wing tube for the cg,still safe there just a bit back heavy. I can fly at least 10 flights on my 1100s safely but usely fly 5 to 7 flight with out any worries.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwchad View Post
Thanks for the mount info!

My batteries are over the engine box on a ply plate too. 3 2300mah A123's. I can fly a week straight without charging.........
well thats a good a place as any for the batts........
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Carefree,AZ
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts

Anybody have any problems with there wing tubes being to loose on the body? Mine fits my wings great but the fuse was real loose,didnt know what else to do but put tape around it,three wraps of packing tape!Is there a better way?

Quick Reply