logo
Old 01-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Donatas
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts
Review: FUTURION (Pattern version)

Hello guys, with this thread i want to show you that build low cost and hi quality indoor plane is not so hard as it looks. Here you find full review with more than 100 hi quality pictures and explanation how to build plane and some lightening tricks to make your planes fly better + great example of how you can paint foamy without airbrush and it still will look very nice. Sorry there will be no plans for this plane posted, but it is possibly that you will find this plane in your hobby shop as kit one day!

Review will be about my own designed F3AI plane Futurion, this is second version of this nice plane. First one was too heavy and had wing loading was little to big for F3P shedule, but still with it i had real good time and fun in my old school gym:
http://www.nakotne.com/request.php?94
http://www.nakotne.com/request.php?95
Special thanks for my friend from Latvia www.nakotne.com for hosting this!

Here picture of first prototype:

Soon coming more...
Donatas is offline Find More Posts by Donatas
Last edited by Donatas; 01-01-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts
Re: Review: FUTURION (Pattern version)

For those who haven't seen Donatas fly,, he's badass! He will be throwing down at the ETOC!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old 01-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
For those who haven't seen Donatas fly,, he's badass! He will be throwing down at the ETOC!
Thanks Bob, i will do all i can to be in ETOC! I have few unique tricks invented, that i believe no one did before me. Anyway if i come to ETOC i will show them and also will make great show for crowd

One more i can promise, much more Badass (Flying Cirkus doh... should i say now Flying Giants style?) videos in this year. On my list not only electric and simulator, but also glow and gass fun
Old 01-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by JVDO
Europe, Belgium
Joined Jan 2006
736 Posts

About the words of the cirkus... I that way I likes the flying cirkus name more than flying giants....
i'm very sorry
JVDO is offline Find More Posts by JVDO
Old 01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
L'ectrics r COOOOOL!!!
New Baltimore, Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
281 Posts

Donatas:

I'm looking forward to this review very much. I've been building foamies for the past couple years but havent quite refined the small ones like others have as far as getting them LIGHT and STRONG. I also love the airbrush job. Your plane looks quite amazing!
F3AFlyer7 is offline Find More Posts by F3AFlyer7
Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts

Start:

Main Aim is to build very light and pretty big indoor plane with low wing loading that can fly slow and perform F3P shedule. Purpose of this plane is smooth precise indoor pattern flying, but also with little more back C.G. and max deflection of all surfaces this plane can handle most of 3D moves to.
I pick up biplane sheme because of bigger wing surface than monoplane, when weight is very similar ore even smaller than monoplane. On biplane you don't have to use carbon to reinforce wings and that's save about 10g!
In Futurion i try too connect best ideas from few very popular and good flying foamies like: Sorta Tensor 4D, Knuffel and Evolution.
Mr. George Hicks idea of SFG (side force generators) change way we look at foamies today. With this simply and genial use of piece of depron in right place it give planes new flying characteristics. New generation foamies like Tensor 4D, Reflection, Futurion now can perform crazy manoeuvres like: small KE (knife edge) loops, KE elevator , ore even Square KE eights and much more that you can imagine with no problem. Big SFG on biplane are good not only because of better aerodynamic features but also this help make plane stronger. They connect both wings and keep them in place, but why use 2 SFG if we can use 4? That's way plane construction are even stronger, + we can use inner SFG made from depron instead of usual 2mm carbon landing gear and wheel this also save about 8g ( but about this little latter).
I made distance from CG to tail pretty big too increase stability also i designed pattern Futurion bigger than first (3D version), simply because big planes fly more stable, on new one fuselage lenght is 92cm (37 inch) and wings 82cm (33inch). Main goal for weight before i start to build plane was rtf weight must be no more than 150-180g (5-6oz).
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDO
About the words of the cirkus... I that way I likes the flying cirkus name more than flying giants....
i'm very sorry
JVDO i feel same way, Cirkus sounds much better for me to But design and programmable of new page looks better, also i like new menu parts, i believe this will be even better than old Cirkus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3AFlyer7
I'm looking forward to this review very much. I've been building foamies for the past couple years but havent quite refined the small ones like others have as far as getting them LIGHT and STRONG. I also love the airbrush job. Your plane looks quite amazing!
Scoot this review is special for Cirkus folks like you! Only problem i can not do this real fast because there is loots of pictures to resize and describe and loots of technical tricks to talk about + i will be real busy this month, but i hope to make full review in about 1-2 weeks. Be sure you find here some nice tips how to make light and strong plane!
By the way i don't have airbrush all paintwork is done with markers, spray cans and stencils L.O.L

Here one short movie from last week practising on F3P shedule with Futurion, sorry for bad quality it was made with photo camera, i do not have own dig video camera and can not always get best shoots, but im sure i will make few good quality movies in this month with help of my RC friends. In video you can see how good fly plane, only my gym is to small for this shedule...
http://www.flashmob.eik.lt/video/FReview/DP_Fut_F3P.wmv
Old 01-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts

Just upload some new pictures to my gallery: https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...cat=528&page=1
Explanation follow soon...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by Shahid B
Sideburn Shahid
London, England
Joined Jan 2006
189 Posts

No carbon!

Nice scheme dude, I suppose you used a circle nutter for the lightning holes in the fuse support pieces? Using a compass and scalpel is too much hassle for me
Shahid B is offline Find More Posts by Shahid B
Old 01-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2006
554 Posts

Yes Shahid, there is no carbon at all on this plane And it is much stronger than any monoplane with flat carbon on wind edges. And also servos connected with pull pull wires, instead of carbon push rods, all for precision and to save some weight.

Here is my Hi -Tech device for holes
https://www.flyinggiants.com/gallery...to=458&cat=528
Its simply aluminium tube with very sharp edges. These all holes save 3g on all plane (1.2g on each fuselage support piece and about 0.5 on fuselage), and that's i say pretty much, 3g is right what i get on plane when all painting are done. So one trick repay price for beauty.
In any case these depron fudelage support pieces do job very well, in flight fuselage have no twist at all!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Sideburn Shahid
London, England
Joined Jan 2006
189 Posts

Ah cool, I was under the impression all the holes were of different diameter cheers!

I am making a bipe also, but its probably ALOT heavier than your beauty! Less inch in length too!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by affas
Norway
Joined Jan 2006
206 Posts

Do you have a picture of your setup with fishline? What kind of horns do you use for that ?

The Smove is on the buildingtable. Some few modifications as topwing SFG`s. Will try it with 4 SFG`s later on.
affas is offline Find More Posts by affas
Old 01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Sideburn Shahid
London, England
Joined Jan 2006
189 Posts

Closed loop on rudder and elevator is not hard to do. I suppose you know how rudder works so I will explain elevator.

On each elevator you will need a horn on both elevators and on the top and bottom.

Both top horns connect to one side of the elevator servo, whilst the bottom horns connect to the other side. This is pull-pull on elevator and it works very well.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Matchless
GiantStyle Yapoleno Hucker!
Cordova, TN USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,329 Posts

Very nice Donatas! I like your design lines and some of the more original thoughts you put into your plane. Its good to see people thinking outside of the box!
Matchless is offline Find More Posts by Matchless
Old 01-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Sideburn Shahid
London, England
Joined Jan 2006
189 Posts

And hopefully not flying outside of box as well!

Quick Reply