logo
Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by xtra330
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts
KS95 and DA150 header length

I have a question regarding the recomended header length for the KS 95 front exaust canisters for a DA150. I am currently running this setup, but have always struggled for a good clean low end idle. No matter what I try, it seems to always run rough - compared to a friend of mines who has always ran the MTW 110(k)...his engine runs like a sewing machine, silk smooth. Mine sounds like its knocking....yes my prop is balanced, yes the engine was just checked out, yes the engine is broken in, yes I have tried from scratch with factory needle settings.

I am running what DA had recomended and for the cans - DA150, 28.5x12 Mej 3 blade, 70mm drop MTW flex headers (uncut, roughly 11.5"). I have ran these cans for about 2 years now, but am on the verge of giving up on them.

I went on the KS website and see where they have a recomended set up for my plane (krill katana) - looking over the pics, it shows (obviously), that the headers are short - resulting with the back of the cans stopping just past the gear plate...the back of my cans stop just in front of the wing spar. But I cannot find out what headers they are using as well as a cannister number.

I was recomended by a person to start with 220mm (8.75") for a header length, what do you think?

Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!
xtra330 is offline Find More Posts by xtra330
Last edited by xtra330; 12-31-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by xtra330
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts
Re: KS95 and DA150 header length

thought i would share this info

Hi Joe,
we recommend for this setup (KS 95-4 and engine DA 150B2) a neutral header-lenght from 180-200 mm. If you use headers that are 11.5" long, you will not only lose 200-300 rpms but most importantly will end up with a suboptimal overall performance - in specific the engine will not respond as immediate as with a properly set up header length.

Best regards

Klaus Krumscheid
xtra330 is offline Find More Posts by xtra330
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply