logo
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by moki 2 10
United States, TX, Bishop
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts
Re: Lanier Extra 300S, 25% and 33% Combined Build Thread

I just bought a used 33% version of this plane that had alot of hanger rash and damage to it. I have been looking for parts and to my surprise have not found much on it until I found this thread. I have removed all the old covering and found alot of broken parts on the plane. the plastic turtle deck is beat, and I am thinking of replacing it by building it up with formers and stringers. the canopy is broken also, I have looked for anything to replace it with, but no luck yet. The plane was to good of a deal to pass on, and new ones this size are a little to high. It had all servos and a very clean great running Quadra 100cc on it for $400 bucks. I would realy like to see it fly again as my first 100 plus inch plane. Any help, or suggestions would be very much appriciated. Thanks
moki 2 10 is offline Find More Posts by moki 2 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by Fondulac
Roanoke, VA
Joined Nov 2008
84 Posts

I would suggest you stick build the turtledeck, the sheeted foam was painful to fit correctly. Not sure where you can get a canopy. I just started tearing mine back down to re-build and lighten.

You can see some of my progress if it helps at all on the link below.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...tra-300-a.html
Fondulac is offline Find More Posts by Fondulac
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
United States, GA, Watkinsville
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

My next update will be my stick built turtledeck, so far it seems to be going well.... Just need to sheet it.

Jason
Spdstr280Z is offline Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Murfs_Machine
Joined Oct 2008
13 Posts

bobflies.com Has all the parts ya need! Sheeted foam turtle fit like a glove as did the canopy and hatch. Also Bob will give plenty of pointers on the phone. Good luck!
Murfs_Machine is offline Find More Posts by Murfs_Machine
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts

thank ya'll very much for the help and advice! when I get some pics I will post up a few.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by greatlab
Joined Jan 2009
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfs_Machine View Post
bobflies.com Has all the parts ya need! Sheeted foam turtle fit like a glove as did the canopy and hatch. Also Bob will give plenty of pointers on the phone. Good luck!
Just noticed this build on the Lanier Laser 200. Does Bob carry for the smaller of the Lasers? I had one several years ago(quarter scale)that I hung a Webra 1.20 on. Looked great with the home made smoke set up I had on it. Around flight 78 or 79, I did a snap right after the wheels left the ground. Nothing I hadn't done before and to my surprise snapped a fuse side. Nose straight down in the asphalt, bent crank, busted cowl and a few scuffs. Couldn't find a new set of ply sides for it. Went to Home Depot purchased a sheet of wood paneling and went to work rebuilding while waiting on my new fiberglas cowl. New OS 91, no smoke but still was fun to fly, until a mid air about a year later. Still have a set of wings, never used. I wouldn't mind building another to give to my grandson to practice with. Put it on a diet and add a gasser might be fun for him.
greatlab is offline Find More Posts by greatlab
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Find More Posts by greatlab
Joined Jan 2009
18 Posts

My bad saw Extra But was thinking laser while typing reply. Does he carry any thing for the smaller size Laser?
greatlab is offline Find More Posts by greatlab
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by Murfs_Machine
Joined Oct 2008
13 Posts

I do not believe so but you can call or email him. He is a very nice guy. He does have his own line of planes as well.( giants and small )
Murfs_Machine is offline Find More Posts by Murfs_Machine
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

Have had the turtledeck framed up for a while now, I need to sheet it next.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Nov 2008
84 Posts

Wife must be away again, you are using that granite table! LOL. It looks like the horz stab goes down on the stab saddle, then the vert stab mounts to it the same way as the 1/3. Are these next before installing the deck ?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondulac View Post
Wife must be away again, you are using that granite table! LOL. It looks like the horz stab goes down on the stab saddle, then the vert stab mounts to it the same way as the 1/3. Are these next before installing the deck ?
She stayed at her parents for a week after Christmas, but I didn't do much plane stuff.... Car and cleaned house...

You got it on the stab, one half and the vertical fin is sheeted, need to get the other half sheeted and the two joined. I've never done one like this before, think I should put a carbon tube or something in there before joining the halves ?

Jason
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Nov 2008
84 Posts

You could, but as long as you have a solid trailing edge that joins across the rear of both stabs you should be fine. You may want to sheet the deck and let the balsa extend out past the end of the fuse wait to install it until you have mounted your stabs and then cut out the excess balsa to fair it in. Didn't know if you planned to do this or just mount the deck then the stabs then make some filler pcs.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondulac View Post
You could, but as long as you have a solid trailing edge that joins across the rear of both stabs you should be fine. You may want to sheet the deck and let the balsa extend out past the end of the fuse wait to install it until you have mounted your stabs and then cut out the excess balsa to fair it in. Didn't know if you planned to do this or just mount the deck then the stabs then make some filler pcs.
Thanks for the input ! I have been pondering both ways on the filler area, I even thought about arranging the stringers to run back from the turtledeck to support the fillers. I saw another build where someone had used foam in this area and that seems like a good idea. They cut the foam then sheeted just the small section, I may try to do all of the sheeting at once (built up turtledeck and foam fillers), like you are saying, so there isn't an opportunity for cracking later.

I just need to get those tail surfaces in there and see what I have to work with.....

Thanks !

Jason
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Joined Jun 2008
68 Posts

i did the built up deck like in the pics. For the filler around the rudder, i took 2 pieces of 2 inch X 2 inch X 12 inch balsa block and carved out the fillers. for strength I let the top stringer run all the way through the deck and filler. then I glued it to the rudder and shaped the fillers to fit around it. It took about 2 hours to carve the fillers but it turned out good and I can epoxy them to the rudd. and ele for strength. Then i am going to sheet the deck and sand it to blend into the filler. I will try to get some pics of it up soon.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by mbeezhold
Flyin' Around
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts

My Tower Hobbies Clearanced Lanier Extra 300S 25% and Lanier Laser 25% are still in the box.
I'm set on building the Extra, for sure, ASAP.
How easy was the wing construction?
Thanks, for the thread!
mbeezhold is offline Find More Posts by mbeezhold

Quick Reply