logo
Old 06-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Its been in the air this year! Once, on Sat last week. I flew it all last year with my ole hand fabbed canopy.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,287 Posts
Thanks. I can totally see getting complacent at some point haha

UOTE=wmat7039;2994093]Really glad that it's turning out the right way for you! Whatever happens, don't get too comfortable when setting up for landing. Do it the right way each and every time.... I got too comfortable and paid the price.
Hope to meet up with you one of these days.
W[/QUOTE]
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
The photos below will explain from beginning to end, starting with black spray testing, sanding off to original (Andrew Jesky's Leo), priming & final finish by Primo.......suffice to say, I am completely happy on Father's Day!!

Happy Father's Day to all you guys too!
Wayne
Did you send AJ a pic of that wing? Sort of like when someone dies his organs are transplanted to help someone else live.....

That was a really tragic sight to see his model burn right there on the grass next to the runway and it took off so fast, there wasn't anything anyone could have done to stop it.

Just a thought....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 06-24-2020, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
duplicate post.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Did you send AJ a pic of that wing? Sort of like when someone dies his organs are transplanted to help someone else live.....

That was a really tragic sight to see his model burn right there on the grass next to the runway and it took off so fast, there wasn't anything anyone could have done to stop it.

Just a thought....
Thanks!! I just did that. It's exactly as you stated above...transplanted and now I'm alive!!

It was an unfortunate incident in Florida at the Red Flag event. One important lesson I learnt from Andrew's experience: Turn off the automatic restart on the KT210! Let the turbine stay off if it shuts down and depend on your skills to get it back home safely.

Andrew did just that...He brought her home safely, but the auto restart tried to get the motor running again when she was on the ground and had a hot start.
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 06-25-2020, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!! I just did that. It's exactly as you stated above...transplanted and now I'm alive!!

Andrew did just that...He brought her home safely, but the auto restart tried to get the motor running again when she was on the ground and had a hot start.
Yeah that was a bad deal with other guys keeping him from landing until he ran out of fuel. I saw the videos and could only think that perhaps a hot tailpipe in the grass might have done it. I didn't know it was an auto restart but that is something I have spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not it's a good idea after seeing a number models which successfully dead sticked and then caught fire and burned to the ground as the engine had initiated a restart.

Thanks for filling in some of the particulars and I hope you get to make good use of that replacement wing. Only question I have; do you have to put anti-rejection drugs in it's fuel???? lol
Old 06-26-2020, 06:59 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Yeah that was a bad deal with other guys keeping him from landing until he ran out of fuel. I saw the videos and could only think that perhaps a hot tailpipe in the grass might have done it. I didn't know it was an auto restart but that is something I have spent a lot of time thinking about whether or not it's a good idea after seeing a number models which successfully dead sticked and then caught fire and burned to the ground as the engine had initiated a restart.

Thanks for filling in some of the particulars and I hope you get to make good use of that replacement wing. Only question I have; do you have to put anti-rejection drugs in it's fuel???? lol
Mon... That's funny!

In actuality, I won't be needing those "anti-rejection drugs" at all....

The reason: My present Leonardo steed originated from the man himself ( "Jesky's stables") as she was picked up on Feb, 13, 2019 complete with thoroughbred "papers!"
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...&postcount=689 Those thoroughbred documents certified the authenticity of origin!

Last night, I finished setting back up the rear section of the fuselage with the repainted left stab (done by Primo). He sure does a supreme job. THANKS Primo!

So today, after work, I'll tackle the new wing and set in the Electron gear (which actually flew in this same wing previously) and the flap/aileron servos. Everything is moving along at a nice pace and hopefully, I should be back in the air by the middle of July.
W
Old 07-03-2020, 08:35 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Miracle workers!

This 4th July Holiday brings me great news from 2 Miracle Workers: Craig Baker & Primo Rivera.

What I thought was devastation, they both saw life! I honestly don't know how Craig was able to piece everything back together and strengthen the front....but he DID!! Then Primo took over this week and started on the painting of the fuselage. He had already completed the wing and a stab.

You just never know how many great friends you have, until there is a need! I cannot express my true gratitude.

Below are the five stages she has been through up until yesterday.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:25 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
I said “Miracle workers” above......The crowning glory for a July 4th afternoon! Unbelievable!

You could never tell, Unless you saw the transformation.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Fantastic work!!

I know a couple of guys who can do stuff like that, but I'm certainly not one and they are not very common among us.

You said it when you mentioned having "great friends".
Old 07-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by karolh
Mandeville, Jamaica, West Indies
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts
Quote:
Fantastic work!!

I know a couple of guys who can do stuff like that, but I'm certainly not one and they are not very common among us.

You said it when you mentioned having "great friends".
So very true, " great friends" at times so much better than pocket money.
karolh is offline Find More Posts by karolh
Old 07-05-2020, 10:15 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karolh View Post
So very true, " great friends" at times so much better than pocket money.
Yup, Karol...very true.

Another great friend just maidened his HUGE Hawk....with an AMT Olympus HP turbine. Matt Balazs said that it is a joy to fly and handles with ease! Congrats Matt!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:03 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Well.... Here we are, one day away from the Leo returning to the air again.

She is in tip top shape and systems are a go! I picked her up from Primo on Tuesday and went right into it. Joining both halves of the fuselage, running the back end wires to the central area, installing the thrust tube/turbine and everything else required. After reconnecting all the wires, I "lit her up," with the PowerBox Mercury supplying the juice.

Everything went together rather quickly and today I will purge the fuel lines but won't fire up the KT210 until tomorrow down at Mac Hodges' field where I will have some help. I'm projecting that all will be well and we will have a great day of flying (with social distancing).
Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,305 Posts
Good luck!
Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by wgdenge
BrownChickenBrownCow
Augusta, GA
Joined Jan 2006
437 Posts
Awesome. See ya in AM!

Quote:
Well.... Here we are, one day away from the Leo returning to the air again.

She is in tip top shape and systems are a go! I picked her up from Primo on Tuesday and went right into it. Joining both halves of the fuselage, running the back end wires to the central area, installing the thrust tube/turbine and everything else required. After reconnecting all the wires, I "lit her up," with the PowerBox Mercury supplying the juice.

Everything went together rather quickly and today I will purge the fuel lines but won't fire up the KT210 until tomorrow down at Mac Hodges' field where I will have some help. I'm projecting that all will be well and we will have a great day of flying (with social distancing).
wgdenge is offline Find More Posts by wgdenge

Quick Reply