logo
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,286 Posts
Discussion
IS THE ECONOMY REALLY THAT BAD?????

We got kinda slow for a while in the oil patch after the macondo, deepwater horizon incident, and all the politics behind that (which i wont get into so dont ask) but, things are going ok in the oil patch right now, and it seems like things are going pretty good in my neck of the woods.

So, im just curious.......are things really that bad? I see alot of people selling 35% and 40% planes on here and the other place for what i consider to be practically nothing. the average DA-150 is going for 700-800 bucks. These prices are considerably lower than they have been for years in the past.

Is this just a trend happening because of the snowball effect? what i mean by that is this.....people start posting things lower to sell quickly, then you have an abundance of the same item for like prices. new guy comes on here and see's like items all around the same price and lists his same item for 50 bucks cheaper.....etc....etc.....etc

im curious to hear some view points from around the country. We seem to be doing ok down here in the south. Are things worse up north, out west, out east?

lets hear what you guys are thinking, and give examples of how the economy is affecting your areas. Thanks
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
369 Posts
I took a job 42 miles away from home, thats 84 miles round trip for work. But work is very busy, Saturdays and some Sundays. I put in at least 50 hours a week. I have been at the new job for a little over 1 year now. I had been working zero to maybe 25 hours a week at my old job - where I had been for 13 years.

Now my boss no longer asks me to hold my paycheck until Tuesday, and the paychecks do not bounce!!

Unemployment is down from 3 months ago, but it is still high,, in the 7%-10% around mid Wisconsin.

I sold some airplanes, all my snowmobiles, and some farm machinery to keep the banks happy. It was a tough call to sell a couple of my RC planes, but looking ahead -- I am planning on a brand new 100cc airplane this spring.

Jeff
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by BigBird
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,091 Posts
Da150 and da100 prices dropped due to the 170 and 120 coming around and hurting resale value of them. The economy hasn't helped matters but it does seem to be much better in certain parts of the country. Midwest got slammed with the auto industry failing and many other areas that I doubt will ever recover. Majority of model airplane geeks are from the areas that got hammered. Situation is not so swell for most on here. Hopefully all of our fg brothers will be digging out sooner than later but I don't know if everyone will see the end of the tunnel. It's going to take some major shifts in thinking for that to happen.
BigBird is offline Find More Posts by BigBird
Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
I am self employed in a highly skilled manual trade, I haven't done a days work in three months, this year I could have doubled my income by taking a burger flipping job at McDonalds. I am living off selling some of my accumulated stuff.

So yeah, the economy is rubbish to me. If things don't change next year I will be going back to school and learn a new profession.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Last edited by Languid Virago; 11-17-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Find More Posts by louu
go fast, dont crash.
south dirty jersey
Joined Oct 2008
1,953 Posts
Sub...
louu is offline Find More Posts by louu
Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
There will have to be some fundamental changes made in Washington to see any solid recovery in the economy and that is not going to happen any time soon. The financial crunch in Europe is not helping matters here either. I think we have finally figured out that you can not run a country on uncontrolled debt, the taxpayer can only take on so much and we are past that point here in the US and by the sounds of things Europe is past that point as well.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,286 Posts
i can see where the 170 and 120 sales would drop prices on the 150 and 100 a little but, the new prices on those hasnt dropped all that much. guess guys are desperate to upgrade. Thats fine with me, i like my 150's even better when they are cheap.....
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Avoiding Fake News
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2007
1,748 Posts
Good news in Oregon, unemployment just dropped to 9.6% And that's after the $800 billion "stimulus" spending did such a great job.

I feel bad for all the kids, they are sure going to be pissed when they get the bill for our mess.
5150flyer is offline Find More Posts by 5150flyer
Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts
Gas prices and a Fiance' that live 425 miles from me is what has hurt me... that and the rising cost of Homeowners insurance, electric, and everything else around me.....
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
I have selling go to pot over the past few years..

you can clearly see the trend, go to the airframe section in the swap shop and hit the last page, you know where there are still guys ads up from 09 and on.. 35%ers were twice the price they are now..

but you also have a huge section of LOWBALLERS out there.. that is a big problem I see lately.. everyone wants it for NOTHING its like your slapping someone in the face for trying to recoupe some of that hard earned money you spent to have nice RC stuff.. even if its priced fairly

my line of work will be one of the absolute last to see the ecomony crash and I am thankful for that
racelikustolit3k is offline Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,286 Posts
BR289......fiance that is 425 miles away? dude, you need to get a local fun buddy and save some gas.

racelikustolit3k.............Maybe i misread, but are you saying youve been selling pot for the past few years? PM me
i have an order for you......just kidding!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 PM
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,931 Posts
I can't imagine a sustained improvement until people In the USA want to buy things MADE in the USA!!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I can't imagine a sustained improvement until people In the USA want to buy things MADE in the USA!!

very true statement mith

I heard a statement on hannity the other day and it sums up whats wrong with "today" and how its going to be VERY hard to fix

job seekers now a days have very few questions about the jobs they are after except

how late can I come in, how early can I leave ?

how much money can I make, and how little do I have to do ?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k View Post
I have selling go to pot over the past few years..

you can clearly see the trend, go to the airframe section in the swap shop and hit the last page, you know where there are still guys ads up from 09 and on.. 35%ers were twice the price they are now..

but you also have a huge section of LOWBALLERS out there.. that is a big problem I see lately.. everyone wants it for NOTHING its like your slapping someone in the face for trying to recoupe some of that hard earned money you spent to have nice RC stuff.. even if its priced fairly

my line of work will be one of the absolute last to see the ecomony crash and I am thankful for that

hey ill take a bag of pot. and for your lowballers statement is not true. it may be in your eyes but, for someone buying something used it only worth what another is willing to pay. you dont have to sell it. but in these hard times are when the people that have it to spend will try and get the lowest price they can, dont you?? you dont try and get the best deal on a new or used car or anything else ?? or do you just pay what they ask??
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly

Quick Reply