logo
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by Terry Marzofka
Port Edwards, WI
Joined Mar 2006
172 Posts
How to recharge a low voltage Li-poly?

I have a TP 3 cell pack that sat over most of the winter. The voltage has dropped down to 7.43. My charger will not charge it because of the low voltage. I know there is a way to bump the voltage up a bit to the point where the charger will allow recharging.

How do you guys do it? Thanks!
Terry Marzofka is offline Find More Posts by Terry Marzofka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Ayase
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts
Re: How to recharge a low voltage Li-poly?

I had a new 11.1 volt 3 cell pack that would not charge with the Great planes Electrifly PolyCharge. I then tried my Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite set for 3 cell at 11.1 volts, error came up battery voltage to low. I set it for 10.8v 3 cell same error. set at 7.2v 2 cell fianlly it would take a charge, once charged moved back up the voltage and cell counts till completed 11.1v 3c. Has been okay since. Don't know if I just got lucky or another person said the cell(s) needed to be woken up. Hope this helps
DAGONZ is offline Find More Posts by DAGONZ
Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Marzofka View Post
I have a TP 3 cell pack that sat over most of the winter. The voltage has dropped down to 7.43. My charger will not charge it because of the low voltage. I know there is a way to bump the voltage up a bit to the point where the charger will allow recharging.

How do you guys do it? Thanks!
Connect it to the 9.6 volt side of your charger that comes with your radio. That will slowly bring it up to about 10 volts. Watch the voltage and when it gets to 10 switch it over to the regular Lipo charger.

Do not leave it unattended. Danger Will Robinson!

TF
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by RADRICH
Hmmm...tastes like chicken!!!!
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts

This is absolutely so cool that you are talking about this subject! I have wasted a bunch of time in archives looking for answers to pretty much the same question ever since I purchased and fried my very first lipo on the same day 2 years ago. Maybe someone really smart can tell me why there isn't a machine that charges lipo's even if they drop to 1 volt. Why is 3.4 the magic number? Why cant they make a 6 volt lipo cell?????????? (notice I said cell...not battery)...and where's BOULDER?!!!!
RADRICH is offline Find More Posts by RADRICH
Last edited by RADRICH; 02-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by flynbye
willoughby ohio
Joined Feb 2008
290 Posts

this same thing happen to me once b4 i just took a nother battery of the same cell count and made a jumper black to black red to red held it ther for 5-8 sec then pulled it apart then right to the charger and worked fine.. i should say this the donner pack was like half full and i am sure this most likey wasnt safe (dont know) but it worked
flynbye is offline Find More Posts by flynbye
Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by RADRICH
Hmmm...tastes like chicken!!!!
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbye View Post
this same thing happen to me once b4 i just took a nother battery of the same cell count and made a jumper black to black red to red held it ther for 5-8 sec then pulled it apart then right to the charger and worked fine.. i should say this the donner pack was like half full and i am sure this most likey wasnt safe (dont know) but it worked
Very interesting...may try that next time!
RADRICH is offline Find More Posts by RADRICH

Quick Reply