logo
Old 03-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
While things might appear okay today, it has not always been well in horus.... before releasing the firmware update to dual antennas firmware, lots of us had pretty significant range problems. Myself included.... lots of people were talking about it, not just isolated incidents.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by Dangerous Dan
United States, TX, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2006
3,897 Posts
Repost of some of my unanswered questions:

These look interesting couple of questions

I fly iMac 40% and have lots of smaller electrics
Currently I haves dx8 gen2 for smaller planes and a futaba 10cag for 40%
Have never used telemetry
Love the voice and ease of programming of dx8 but won't trust spectrum to s 4o% plane
Really like slider switches on the side of futaba 10cag great for engine kill and choke hard to accudently hit a slider

How is the Horus for a thumb flyer?
I have a lot of futaba and spectrium receivers will this radio work on them?
Can you convert programming from dx8 to this radio without doing it all manually
Does the built in gps/gyro violate the IMAC rules for no onboard flight stabilization-
can I run the receiver in a smartfly power expander without loosing telemetry?
Everone mentioned learning curves updates etc etc. how big is learning curve.
Internal external antenna?
Please don't tell me to search I don't have internet just an iPhone and search floods me with drone posts I am asking these questions within the context of giant scale gas.

Kind Regards
Dangerous Dan is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dan
Old 03-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,259 Posts
Hi Dan,

Answers below:

How is the Horus for a thumb flyer?
If you have "Normal Sized" hands they are no different than any other radio, except that they are really smooth.

I have a lot of futaba and spectrium receivers will this radio work on them?

Yes, There is an external module in the back. You can plug whatever module you want and keep your Futaba / Spektrum stuff alive, and take advantage of the extra programming features of the HORUS.

Can you convert programming from dx8 to this radio without doing it all manually

No, there is currently no converter available to do this function.

Does the built in gps/gyro violate the IMAC rules for no onboard flight stabilization-

The GPS is in the TX, it does not control the aircraft in any way, neither does the 6 axis sensors in the TX. But they can be used as control inputs, that would feel really wierd though.

can I run the receiver in a smartfly power expander without loosing telemetry?

Yes... I use BoomRC boards. Telemetry had nothing to do with the power supply, it's done by the Receivers.

Everone mentioned learning curves updates etc etc. how big is learning curve.

Not much actually. If you use the stock FRSKY firmware, it's menu driven, not much to learn. If you go OpenTX, you open up the world of possibilities, BUT, for basic 4 channel + mixes, it's about 1/2 day worth of reading and experimenting.

Internal external antenna?

For quad users that fly close to the ground, it provides TX diversity to mitigate stuff. But it's not required for IMAC (Range is greater than 1.5Km easilly)

Please don't tell me to search I don't have internet just an iPhone and search floods me with drone posts I am asking these questions within the context of giant scale gas.

No searching, hopefully these answered your questions.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,918 Posts
I know FrSky makes FASST compatible receivers but I am not sure your current ones will work with the Taranis or Horus. The great thing about the FrSky system is it probably wouldn't be much more to replace everything with FrSky receivers after you sell off your 10CAG and receivers.

I'm still interested in making the switch, just on the fence because of the work it's going to take pulling all my equipment out, replacing it with FrSky, and then selling/shipping everything lol.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
I know FrSky makes FASST compatible receivers but I am not sure your current ones will work with the Taranis or Horus. The great thing about the FrSky system is it probably wouldn't be much more to replace everything with FrSky receivers after you sell off your 10CAG and receivers.

I'm still interested in making the switch, just on the fence because of the work it's going to take pulling all my equipment out, replacing it with FrSky, and then selling/shipping everything lol.
I have 35 planes and 7 helicopters wouldn't be cheap to switch all receivers
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,897 Posts
Before I bit the bullet and bought a Horus I would have to hold one a guy at our field has a taranis
Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by brtman
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Feb 2015
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post

How is the Horus for a thumb flyer? Great
I have a lot of futaba and spectrium receivers will this radio work on them?yes
Can you convert programming from dx8 to this radio without doing it all manuallyno
Does the built in gps/gyro violate the IMAC rules for no onboard flight stabilization-switch off
can I run the receiver in a smartfly power expander without loosing telemetry?yes
Everone mentioned learning curves updates etc etc. how big is learning curve. medium
Internal external antenna?has both

Kind Regards
bro, if your looking for one push button for conversion, and you have no internet to use this probably is not for you. I'm not an expert by any means close, but I have a blast with my third one ( 9d, 9d+ and horus ). If you hold one in your hands, you'll want it!!
brtman
brtman is offline Find More Posts by brtman
Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
I got a horus several months ago and am coming from many years on Futaba (9c, 10c, 14sg). Ive only been using FrSkyOS but can honestly say this is soooo much more intuitive and easier to program for nearly everything I want to do. My one gripe about being on this protocol is no rx's with more than 8channels. For those models you have the option to use either sbus, rbus, or dual rx's [and a combination of batteries for the latter].

This is not my favored option for some of my smaller more complex models, like my Venom F86 that has very limited space inside the fuse (already packing retracts, airbrakes, flaps, full cockpit detail, etc). A 12 channel rx would make these types of installations more simple and lighter.

On the con side, while I do like the gimbals I have not yet gotten used to the spacing of the switches and keep inadvertantly hitting rate switches when I flip the smoke and vice versa. I need to rethink how I have always mapped things and try a different layout. I've grown confident in the signal, but I may switch back to a more traditional radio if I cant get much more comfortable with the switches.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,918 Posts
Yeah, the 8 channel max receiver is somewhat of a drawback. I was planning on doing 2 8 channel receivers in the 40%er I'm building now anyways though.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Yeah, the 8 channel max receiver is somewhat of a drawback. I was planning on doing 2 8 channel receivers in the 40%er I'm building now anyways though.
I run programmable hitec servos and a power expander even a 40% with 9-14 servos only uses 6 chanells. Thr rale lale ele rud and kill. Initial setup takes a while but radio programming is super simple.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
in 40%ers, I'd think the additional weight is moot... it could be made up by moving to smaller tanks if needed.

In smaller models, having to resort to rbus, power expanders, or dual rx dual battery setups, it is not as appealing to me and I wish they offered a rx with a higher channel count.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
in 40%ers, I'd think the additional weight is moot... it could be made up by moving to smaller tanks if needed.

In smaller models, having to resort to rbus, power expanders, or dual rx dual battery setups, it is not as appealing to me and I wish they offered a rx with a higher channel count.
Yep lots of room
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
I run programmable hitec servos and a power expander even a 40% with 9-14 servos only uses 6 chanells. Thr rale lale ele rud and kill. Initial setup takes a while but radio programming is super simple.
With the H0rus or Taranis on OpenTX, you won't need to program the servos, almost all functions can be done through the TX except for Soft Start.

On my 35%ers, I run 10 servos, but they are routed through SBUS to the Aura8 Gyro and then to the power expander (BoomaRC 8/24).

Many ways to skin a cat, and both the Horus and Taranis can do it all. There even exists (for 40%ers) the RX8R which communicate with each other through secondary SBUS Port sharing redundancy, and allowing 16 PWM channels if required all for 35/36 buck each.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 03-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by raydar
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
Mmmmm I can get 16 channels with a single x8r reciever and a couple sbus decoders or 16 channels with two x8r or 16 channels with full redundancy with two 4 channel recievers all for less than the price of any other system out there, not sure what the problem is with reciever choice.

He'll you can even get 16 channels with one 4 channel reciever and rbus.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Last edited by raydar; 03-10-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,918 Posts

Quick Reply