logo
Old 05-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post

Here's a pic of the included hardware package. Does anyone who has a similar plane from Pilot know if they usually include the servo arms with the hardware? I have the control horns but no servo arms.

And thanks, I'll look into the Bluebirds

THe kit is supposed to include the fibreglass servo arms. You get aluminium servo arms when you purchase the Pilot-RC branded (Savox) servos.
If the fibreglass servo arms are not included call Chief. They should send you a set ASAP.

ASfor servos', Savox 0251 would be the minimum I'd go for. I use SA1256's in my Edge and the Pilot-Rc PY-20AL (coreless rebranded SAvox SA1256 with mods) In my yak 55.
These have been reliable and economical on the Amps. Brushless would be more economical but they cost a lot more (PW-27AH, [email protected] brushless.)
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Last edited by TimBle; 05-11-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Eric D
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was starting to think I was crazy for expecting the servo arms. Everything I was seeing online was showing them as being included but I wasn't sure.

I realize the 251's are going to be on the lower end of the scale but right now it's hard to pass on the $20 servo's. Hopefully, a little later on I can switch out the cheaper ones with something a little better
Eric D is offline Find More Posts by Eric D
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
THe kit is supposed to include the fibreglass servo arms. You get aluminium servo arms when you purchase the Pilot-RC branded (Savox) servos.
If the fibreglass servo arms are not included call Chief. They should send you a set ASAP.

ASfor servos', Savox 0251 would be the minimum I'd go for. I use SA1256's in my Edge and the Pilot-Rc PY-20AL (coreless rebranded SAvox SA1256 with mods). These have been reliable and economical on the Amps. Brushless would be more economical but they cost a lot more (PW-27AH, [email protected] brushless.)
My Bad! ......when the OP said servo/arms, I assumed he meant a true arm, when in fact he may have meant "Arm/Extensions".......yes, any "Pilot" airframe I have ever purchased (& I've had a bunch) always came with servo/arm/extensions.......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Last edited by tande; 05-11-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,076 Posts
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 0251s. A friend had them on a 55cc aerobat and then they moved over to a H9 60cc Mustang where they continue to work fine. No problem with centering or excessive gear play. But where did you find them for 20 bucks?
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
SA 0251 isn't a bad servo at all. It's just the lowest tier savox makes and uses an older type of brushed motor which could fade in performance if constantly pushed to its limits in 3D style flying.
If you just getting Into 3D or IMAC then they will be more than ample for now.
Btw they are not really an oversize case. The case is deeper than most servos so they tend to be impossible to fit into thin wing planes if mounted upright e.g they won't fit in the wings of the pilot Rc edge 540 but the yak 54 has a thicker (deeper chord ) wing so they just about fit without protruding through the top surface of the wing. Best to perhaps get hold of one and trial fit to make sure it won't protrude out the top of the wing.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Watch This!
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Nov 2009
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
Dang, I was afraid of that. Everything I had researched showed them as coming with the ARF. Here's a pic of the hardware from Pilot's site Attachment 918105 and the few build threads I've been able to find seem to show them Attachment 918265
I think they used to have them in the packaging, however, no one used them. Most use their own arms, I was told along time ago not to trust them.
fixedwingonly is offline Find More Posts by fixedwingonly
Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedwingonly View Post
I think they used to have them in the packaging, however, no one used them. Most use their own arms, I was told along time ago not to trust them.
I got in touch with Chief today and they said pretty much the same thing. They said, basically that people were using them with cheaper plastic circle servo arms. Drilling holes in the cheaper plastic arms was causing too many failures that led them to discontinue including them in the ARF's. To me, that's understandable but I wish they'd update the online manual, seeing as the plane doesn't include any printed directions.

TimBle, thanks for the advice on the servo's, I'm aware of the limitations of the 0251's. I'm hoping they can at least get me through the learning stages and I don't plan on hammering them too hard. Good to hear you confirm the size of them shouldn't be a problem.

FGNewbie I got them from the new Savox USA site. I'm not sure if their just clearing them out or not. The site and the tracking info are a pain to decipher but if I'm reading everything right they should be here Fri. from Jacksonville FL
http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.c...nt=11100226246
Last edited by Eric D; 05-11-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
Ok so the exclusion of the servo arms is new but understandable . I would never use plastic servo discs on a plane the size of the yak or on one for its intended purpose . On the bright side aluminum servo horns are pretty easy to come by these days and are a good investment if you going with 25t spline (futaba standard) since most manufacturers aside from Jr. and hired use the 25t spline.

I do have loads of the glass fiber horns in my build shed so if you really want pm me your address and I'll mail them to you free of charge . May take a week or so to get to you from South Africa.

On the servo depth of the body I checked the 0252's I have in a Goldwing Edge540 and they fit into its wings and just touch the inside of the top surface so I'm confident you won't have a fit issue in the yak,
The servos also clear rah other sufficiently in the tail where they are mounted in the fuselage to actuate the elevators. If I recall the yak 54 also has the servos mounted in the fuselage so it won't be a problem there either; the servos will mounted without touching each other.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
Thanks for the offer on the arms Tim, but after some discussion with the guys at our field, I'm going to do what you (and them) suggested and pick up a set of aluminum arms. I was thinking of ordering some carbon fiber arms with the aluminum circle arms but the standard aluminum arms aren't really that much more and they look a lot easier to install. Thanks again for the offer though Being this will be my first large scale build, I was just trying to do everything by the book. Hopefully Pilot will update their manual before too long. There's a couple of the things in the older manual that are different than the ARF I have (mainly the servo arms, spatz not full pants and a totally different tail wheel mount)

I received the servo's and the motor today, so things are starting to come together quite well. I was pleased with the first order from Hobby Recreation. Ordered Moday, arrived Thursday. Wasn't too much added protection (just a piece of brown paper on one end of box) but all 5 servo's look good to go. I'll get a chance to test the fit the servo's this weekend but I don't forsee a problem. They do look to be about 1/4- 1/2" deeper than standard size but that shouldn't be a problem. I'll try and get some photo's this weekend (hopefully with the wings on upright this time )

If someone is planning an order from Hobby recreation, let me know. They included a code for 10% off next order that I'm not planning to use. I don't know if it's a one time coupon or just a standard one. (or if it's against forum rules to post them here)

On another note, I'm starting to look at props for the DLE 55 RA. I'm looking at either the tried and true Xoar 23 (or 22) x 8 or the painted ones from Red Wing RC. I know it's a little short-sighted to get sucked into the looks of the black and red tipped painted prop but man, it does look nice. Does anyone have any experience with the Redwing painted props against the Xoar's?
Last edited by Eric D; 05-12-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added a few things
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
Pilot rc yaks now come with wheel spats yes. This is for the last two years already. The manual actually hadn't been updated since about 2010! No need to either I guess since the parts still fit together the same way.
Tail wheel assembly was also changed at the same time the spats were added.

Props for the DLE55RA: the XOAR/JXF 23x8 is pretty much standard issue for that engine. Some run them in on 22x8 and fly them easy but I generally don't use a break in prop. Simply select prop with best thrust, tune and fly. Still keep stress down with easy flying for first few flights - mainly trimming out airframe and adjusting thrust. Thereafter go wild. Ninety percent of the running in occurs in the first tank of fuel anyway. It's important to let the engine warm up to at least 90 degrees C before starting to tune it.

Don't have experience with the redwing props but I think they are similar to those offered by sdshobby.com . Those seem to give me similar numbers and feel to falcon props but don't know if they are the same but rebranded. The XOAR or JXF seems to provide a slightly higher load on the engine seen by about a 100rpm drop but seemingly but a little bit higher thrust.

I'm not affiliated to any of the propeller brands so this info I'm sharing I'm just personal experience.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,076 Posts
out here the prop du jour for the 55 is a Xoar 23/10.

the aluminum arms are a good choice. glass arms work okay but they are a pita to set up. there are many choices of arms; I like the H9 because they are less expensive and easy to apply and tighten. they are predrilled for a 4/40 thread.

If the 54 flies anything like the 55 you'll be in love....
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Late99
Finland, Uusimaa, Kirkkonummi
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
About CG. Mine is probably very slightly tail heavy or then perfectly neutral. Need to fly more to really validate it. Minimal trimming was needed during first flights after rebuild (I guess one or two clicks of aileron) and inverted seems to be pretty straight.

I really don't mind if you copy the setup. As you can see from the pics the power board is actually quite high. There's plenty of space before rudder servo & pull-pull. Still I guess I need to remove the board to do maintenance on the pull-pull. I used some pieces of triangle stock to strengthen the area where I attached these new wood blocks (which the power board is screwed to). And used both glue & small screws.
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99
Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Joined May 2016
219 Posts
Thanks for the great advice Tim and FG. I haven"t decided between the miracle or H9 arms yet. I should be ready to order one of them by next week.

Geat job with the pics Late, that's exactly what I needed. On the receiver, did you add any other means of securing it to the board, or is the double-sided tape that comes on the board strong enough? I was thinking of adding a couple plastic ties or velcro to mine but I'm a little scared I'll hit something when I drill into the board. I still have the factory tape cover on mine so the tape doesn't get all gunked up.

I had a friend of mine pick up an Aura 8 controller from Joe Nall today. Hopefully it'll fit in the same area the Spektrum 8000 is on yours. It's a little bigger than the AR8000 so it might take a little finagling to get it mounted
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
If ordering the H9 servo arms ensure you get the version with metric thread. Pilot uses M3 screws on the ball links. You can of course replace those with Dubro M3 to 4-40 or 2-56 ball links
Old 05-14-2016, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by Late99
Finland, Uusimaa, Kirkkonummi
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
I've got only velcro there. Replaced the original double side tape with velcro. The canopy comes close to the receiver, so might add some padding to canopy bottom. Could also use long cable tie around the power boards... Something to think about. I don't want to start drilling my power board.

About CG, keep in mind that my plane is rebuild, so in that sense pay attention to your own CG and don't assume it will be same as mine... I'm also using stock muffler currently (had canister setup before crash).
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99

Quick Reply