Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Just a few thoughts while were waiting for the build to start.
I've followed a lot of build threads on planes built from kits and build threads on ARF's. I've also had a few planes built for me by professional builders.
While I feel well versed in the building processes, I would never attempt to build one of these giant scale kits myself. This is especially true if I were going to use it in competition.
Having said that, I think I might manage to build a fuselage if the designers could provide a way
to overcome a couple of issues.
This is what I mint when I said it's a shame that a plane like this couldn't be accessible to a broader market.
If someone without specialized building skills could at least build the fuselage on there own, they may be able to farm out the more complex parts of the build to a pro.
Just thinking.
I am building a Dalton 35% Extra 260 as my first giant scale build project. I can tell you that IMO the fuse is the easiest part. Where I am getting scared is gluing on the V Stab and doing the wing/stab incidence. Everything else so far has been easy. The only other thing that I might struggle with is making the canopy but that looks fairly easy.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Just a few thoughts while were waiting for the build to start.
I've followed a lot of build threads on planes built from kits and build threads on ARF's. I've also had a few planes built for me by professional builders.
While I feel well versed in the building processes, I would never attempt to build one of these giant scale kits myself. This is especially true if I were going to use it in competition.
Having said that, I think I might manage to build a fuselage if the designers could provide a way
to overcome a couple of issues.
This is what I mint when I said it's a shame that a plane like this couldn't be accessible to a broader market.
If someone without specialized building skills could at least build the fuselage on there own, they may be able to farm out the more complex parts of the build to a pro.
Just thinking.
Steve,

As long as you have flat building surface, many of the latest large scale fuse's build surprisingly easy. Dalton, Carden, Jtec and now Kam-aero all have tab and slot front fuse sections that go together straight even before you add the glue.

Of the latest kits available, Jtec's fuse construction method is about as easy as it gets. They have done a great job of taking fear of building as a non-issue. The Dalton kits are also very simple to frame up as well, as a matter of fact, you really don't even need plans, everything has it's place.

The only difference when building a Carden is that after you build the tab and slot motor box, wing tube and landing gear assembly, like the other kit manufactures. The next part is building the ladder type fuse sides over the plans. You just need to follow the plans and make sure you make a left and right side.

Not having received our Kam-Aero kits yet, can't give you a detailed report on how they build yet. But in talking to Cam and reading everything on their website, they should go together simply as that was one of the design goals.

There have been a few build threads done by first time large scale builders like Keith Cannon and his 35% Dalton 260 build: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=207368
I think they are all surprised on how rewarding and really simple the build can be.

So my advice is give it a try, and ask and look for help, there are many accomplished builders here willing to help you along the way.

Tom
tom wheeler is online now Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by flybaby505
AmericanSpectre
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined Jan 2006
747 Posts
Congratulations Cam and Kirt on the new venture, best of luck gents.

Bill H.
flybaby505 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby505
Old 10-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Ronald Wlosinski
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
Tom and I get many questions about our DA engines. What props can be used, what are the carb settings, etc. So I made a chart showing the information for each of the DA engines. I cut and pasted the information from each of the user manuals. It's nice to have on one sheet. I showed the chart to Tom this morning and he suggested that I post it to this thread.
Ron
Ronald Wlosinski is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Wlosinski
Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Hooked on IMAC
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Jan 2006
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Wlosinski View Post
Tom and I get many questions about our DA engines. What props can be used, what are the carb settings, etc. So I made a chart showing the information for each of the DA engines. I cut and pasted the information from each of the user manuals. It's nice to have on one sheet. I showed the chart to Tom this morning and he suggested that I post it to this thread.
Ron
Nice! Thanks for the contribution Ron!

David
Fly RC II is offline Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Old 10-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Panama, Panama City
Joined Oct 2006
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Wlosinski View Post
Ron
hi dont you have info for the 120?'
jonathanmanopla is offline Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Old 10-31-2017, 03:09 PM
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
The instruction manual will not come up for the DA 120. It says page could not be found.
Ron
Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,196 Posts
http://www.flylow3d.com/documents/DA120Manual.pdf

Is that what you're looking for?
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 10-31-2017, 03:43 PM
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
Yes, thanks. I googled the manual a found it. I have attached an updated sheet of the settings including the DA120.
Thanks for the help.
Ron
Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,232 Posts
Da 120 needle settings can be different based on which version carb you have. This is something new
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,250 Posts
Tom, if I were building one of these, could you describe how you would line up and install the wing tube and stab sockets.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Tom, if I were building one of these, could you describe how you would line up and install the wing tube and stab sockets.
Steve,

As soon as we the kits, we will go into and photo document all the details we can. Hopefully our first two kits will come in the next two weeks.

Tom
Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,250 Posts
OK, Thanks
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,460 Posts
A little update, talked to Cam today, we should have our kits by the end of next week or soon after. Ron and I will not be building two Cam Aero's, we will be picking up four kits and building them all at the same time.....we are going to be busy! In any case we will document here on FG's all of the build details.

In the mean time, to keep us busy, Ron, Ralph and I are completing a 104" Ohio RC Extra 300 that I was contracted to do 20 years ago. The customer went away and we didn't have any contact again until this past summer, he is back, so we are finishing up his aircraft. The wings were partially built and the lower fuse was also partially built.
This week we finished wing and tail group build with a few more modern updates. We will also be modifying the fuse so that we can add canisters to the DA 100.

Back in the late 90's I built a ton of Ohio RC aircrafts, it's to bad they left the business when they did. I enjoyed building them and for the day were great flying aircraft.

Tom
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by Drew1287
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
Thanks for the update! Look forward to the builds.
Drew1287 is offline Find More Posts by Drew1287

Quick Reply