Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by i8dpeach
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygeek View Post
Yup I'm the main voice on hobby geek podcast.
I've been on a bit of a hiatus the last few months due to work and family commitments. But I'm trying to drum up interviews right now to get the show going again.

Thanks for listening!
Well get back on the train!! I think your doing really good work there! Life does seem to get in the way sometimes. I enjoy this stuff so much that I forget it's a hobby sometimes lol!!
i8dpeach is offline Find More Posts by i8dpeach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-15-2018, 08:13 AM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Quick Question: Do you guys think one (1) servo would be enough on the rudder for this plane? At least 500oz. And if so which one? I am planning on Futaba BLS172 but would like to hear other perspectives. I heard MKS is making a nice servo with a better price point.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,173 Posts
I would not run one servo on the rudder of a 40%.
It is not just about the amount of torque the servo puts out, but also the size of the gear train to handle the load.

Tony
vatechguy3 is offline Find More Posts by vatechguy3
Old 05-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechguy3 View Post
I would not run one servo on the rudder of a 40%.
It is not just about the amount of torque the servo puts out, but also the size of the gear train to handle the load.

Tony
+1.
Plus with 2 servos you have some redundancy.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 PM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses! I think two is probably the safest bet as well.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 AM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Choppy progress

Life and good weather have showed up in full force but I am making some solid progress. In the heat of battle I am forgetting to take some pictures but I do have some. I have quite a bit more done than what's shown here. I also took 20+ hours and re-did the setup on my 35%, shortened the servo arms and really dialed it in for IMAC. I have never taken this much time to setup an airplane but I am learning a lot. I can't wait to feel the difference in the air.

Fin has been installed. I took very special care to make sure the bottom of the rudder would line up perfectly along the bottom fuse line to complete the flow. It paid off as the 1/8" bottom rudder cap will be the perfect continuation. I tried to pre-drill for the Robart hinges before installing the hinge line stock. This worked out but required me to build the plane to the hinges instead of the other way around (if this makes sense). Going to use MarkB's method for the rest of the hinging.

I installed the rudder hinge stock before cutting the bevel. I knew this would be more difficult but I enjoyed using some hand tools, taking my time and hand blending the angle. I have a honey of a hand plane. Old Stanley that is dialed in. I wouldn't trade this hand plane for anything, had a good weight and is extremely accurate. I trimmed down the stab stock in minutes with it.

Got the stabs sheeted, leading trailing edges installed along with initial shaping. I also made the turtle deck sheeting. Once I get the incidence set on the stabs I will mount the turtle deck and take a deep breath!

Moving on to the wing root cap which will be installed before the sheeting. I will set it to incidence and then glue to the wing core and sheet for later incidence adjustments. Getting ready to order my engine and exhaust. Not going to finish the area around the landing gear plate until I can install the can mounts, finish that area.

I also made and installed a balsa servo wire tube. I was so surprised that I pulled it off I forgot to take a picture!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts
Looks great... thanks for the update!
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 AM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Has anybody run Futaba bls175's on the ailerons on this plane? I am planning on 172's for the elevator and rudder. I am running HV.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts
I have only run 172's on the big Carden's. Awesome servo. No experience with the 175's
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 AM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Yep. They are pricey. This will be for IMAC only and the bls175's have 292oz at 7.4. Would around 600oz. be enough per aileron or do I really need over 10000oz? Not trying to skimp but not trying to blow the budget either.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by grabs39
crooked lefty
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jun 2013
660 Posts
Futaba S9177SV is what a lot of IMAC guys are running these days. $149 with over 500oz
grabs39 is offline Find More Posts by grabs39
Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Thanks for the help fellas! I had not even considered the S9177SV. That servo looks like it will fit the bill. I am looking for soft start, quiet servo. I know it has soft start. Wonder why brushless are so much more than coreless. I am sure I could look this up in the threads. Power-wise these are more than enough and the price is right. Anybody have a working comparison between the BLS172 and the S9177?
Last edited by i8dpeach; 05-22-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 PM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Does anybody know the thickness of the 50k Carbon Tow that is .5" wide sold through ACP composites?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by grabs39
crooked lefty
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jun 2013
660 Posts
I couldn’t find it in .5” wide at ACP. Dave Brown sells .5”wide x .007” thick that is 5’ long. I’ve bought it at Tower Hobbies in the past. 007” is what comes in the Carden kit.
grabs39 is offline Find More Posts by grabs39
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM
"Winter is Coming!!"
United States, ME, Bath
Joined Jan 2015
361 Posts
Making Progress!

UPDATE!!!!!
Moving along on the build...

Got the J&J tail wheel installed, hatch relieved for the fit. Nice to get this done except for some cleanup. I'm leaving a lot of detail sanding a shaping for the final sanding party. It will be a party, with lots of dust and hopefully the Red Sox on the raidio.

Turtle deck was put in the shuck this morning and glued after I let it shape overnight with just a touch of windex. I actually spread the Gorilla Glue in the shuck, worked great! I ended up putting 6 strips of tape along the inside of the shuck to make it tighter. I also had 1/16" balsa strips between the foam core and the inside plug to force it outward and make it glue as wide as possible. This turned out to be the right move that I will shed light on later.

While the turtle deck was drying I started on the stab incidence work. Installed the right angle brackets. I am going with Carden's stock method. I find all his methods to be very light and straight forward. I am being very careful with zero extra in the rear of this airplane. It will be getting a DA 150L so I need to keep all my weight forward. Forward of CG I will be doing NO lightening of anything but the F-2 1/4" braces that attach to the longerons. (For Looks)

Recessed the brackets into the stabs. Tack glued the elevators back on and set to zero incidence. Went very smoothly! Then I recessed for the bracket into the fuse, set the t-nut and epoxied it in. Ready for the turtle deck!!

Pulled the turtle deck out of the shuck and it was PERFECT!! I did sand a slight bevel on the foam where it will adhere to the longeron. Don't want to fight the foam to get a tight seal on the outside. I will be using poly glue to attach it. It will fill any very small gap between the foam and gusset. I decided on not installing the gusset prior to sheeting.

I started to fit the turtle deck. Marked out a center line and used the template that comes with the plan. I also kept the forward most of the cut 3/16" back, used the band saw and cut inside the line. I used a foam plane to put a bevel on the foam so I could sand just the balsa at first. Took my time using various dowels with sandpaper attached using 3m77 and used a wood file/rasp for the tip of the fin section. Sand, fit, sand, fit, sand fit... done. Ready to glue! Going to kick the crap out of the wings next!

Finally got out into the nice weather with my 35%. Its a Hanger 9 Extra 300 first gen that I highly modified, build a new hatch to make it a 300s. Had fouled plugs, figured it out and finally got some work on my Sportman sequences. Feels good!!

Quick Reply