logo
Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by gmorales83
Carbon Fiber Everything
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Mar 2008
557 Posts
Loving this build thread...keep it coming !

GM
gmorales83 is online now Find More Posts by gmorales83
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorales83 View Post
Loving this build thread...keep it coming !

GM
Geez it's been a month and 5 pages and I haven't cut a single piece of wood. Actually I will probably start be cutting the foam parts on the CNC foam cutter.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
That's the internal structure pretty much done now. I need to extract the profiles for foam cutting and do the hatch and canopy drawings.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Here is a valid foam cutting file of the top turtle deck for my CNC machine. This requires 5 different pieces of software to achieve. One of them was a simple DXF to DAT conversion so hardly counts. I had hoped not to need Autocad but no. It has a pretty high taper ratio so we will have to see how it turns out in practice.
Last edited by Rod; 11-21-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
New carbon UC legs arrived from China. 500mm long 15mm diameter 1.5mm wall. 35gm saving over the 16mm x2mm wall. Still way strong.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Weird can't post files or search anymore. Firefox or Chrome.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
United States, SC, Bluffton
Joined Jan 2006
2,019 Posts
Subscribed!
Great work!
I have played with fusion for about 6 months and its incredible, wish I really new all it has to offer.
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 11-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike chandley View Post
Subscribed!
Great work!
I have played with fusion for about 6 months and its incredible, wish I really new all it has to offer.
Hi Mike I have been using Fusion for over 2 years now and feel like I'm only scratching the surface. Making parts for the 3D printer is straight forward. But a complex project like this one is more problematic. I have found it hard to get an overview of how to approach it hence the 3 major redraws.
I haven't looked at the CAM functions yet, it would be good if I could integrate the CNC foam cutter and eliminate the need to edit the DXF files in Autocad. A great project would be a ducted fan jet with cross sections cut on the foam cutter. I did the plug for my last F3A project like that.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...4792-zeus.html
My next project will be a 1/4 scale FW190 D9 with molded fuselage. With the Saito 90 in it. This is good practice for that. Using the patch environment to loft the outer skin then using that to produce formers in the modeling environment is working for me.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Getting the canopy right goes a long way to capturing the essence of a subject and having a decent pilot helps a lot in the realism department. The drawings I have don't get it right at all. Fusion makes it so easy to drop in reference images and I have some good photos of the 55. The hatch is the last major thing to do, here I have set up planes and got the skin intersections on them.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:59 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Talking about pilot figures, I went and got myself scanned.

https://3dfy.me/?v=8e3eb2c69a18
Here is a 40% one I 3D printed for my Slick 360. My Su 29 has an Aces of Iron pilot and I have used the painting instructions for this one.

I will do a 28% version for 55.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
Personally, I think you're on the right track with the scale canopy, and it is so important to the scale profile.

I did the "canopy off something else" but I also made the fuse a little higher for KE authority. I can fly the plane around all day on KE too with no mixing so I'm happy with the performance. But you are so close to scale, it would be a shame to ruin it.

This is a combo of a real pic and artists rendition a friend of mine did that has one of my planes. I like the wheel pants and long spinner he added in the drawing but the canopy is real. Obviously, a digression of the scale SP55M you are doing. Please stick with it so I can see how it turns out.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Working on the files for the foam cutting. Had to adjust the thickness of the airfoil at the base of the fin for a good fit on the fuselage. Here is a screen shot of it in GMFC, my favorite foam cutting program. The rear of the fin gets cut off and replaced with separate rudder cores. It is all taking some time as I am doing tests to see what I can do with Fusion. I'm looking at how to output files that can got straight to 2D cutting machines like a laser ,water-jet, 2d router or foam cutter. I'm going to be cutting the wood parts by hand but a router or high powered diode laser is on my to do list.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
United States, SC, Bluffton
Joined Jan 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Hi Mike I have been using Fusion for over 2 years now and feel like I'm only scratching the surface. Making parts for the 3D printer is straight forward. But a complex project like this one is more problematic. I have found it hard to get an overview of how to approach it hence the 3 major redraws.
I haven't looked at the CAM functions yet, it would be good if I could integrate the CNC foam cutter and eliminate the need to edit the DXF files in Autocad. A great project would be a ducted fan jet with cross sections cut on the foam cutter. I did the plug for my last F3A project like that.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...4792-zeus.html
My next project will be a 1/4 scale FW190 D9 with molded fuselage. With the Saito 90 in it. This is good practice for that. Using the patch environment to loft the outer skin then using that to produce formers in the modeling environment is working for me.
Looks fantastic!
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Rod
Find More Posts by Rod
Rod
Wellington New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,286 Posts
Sorted out the drawing to make the canopy plug. My plan is to make a female mold of it and suck heated PETG down into it. Here are some pics of my friend Neil's Spitfire canopy mold using this technique.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
That's interesting. Never saw that before but I do like the clarity of the plastic. I've had some issues in the past with cloudy PETG. Any tips you can think of that may help?
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin

Quick Reply