logo
Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by MarkU1967
United States, IN, Chesterton
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Build Log
104" EF Laser Build thread.

I own a 104" Laser and found it hard to find answers to some questions I had during my build. Most likely since as Jeff Williams mentioned in another thread, there are simply not many 104" Lasers out there yet. So I went it alone for the most part and found some advice here and there.

Just for the record, Jeff Williams put together a very excellent manual for Extreme Flight that is included with the plane and on EF's website. What I REALLY like about manual is that it is specific to the 104" Laser instead of just a general manual that covers multiple planes in various flavors. Thanks Jeff, it very much appreciated.

Some things I really like about the Laser are:
1. Split Cowl.

2. Awesome Tailgear.

3. Cockpit layout.

4. Double CF tubes in the tail.

5. Pre-Aligned wheel pants.

6. Pre-Hinged removable Rudder. My Stab and Ailerons were perfect, but I still needed to install the hinges. I will not comment on the future planes hinges being pre-hinged, but I heard some rumors.

7. Very nicely applied covering. But just because it looks perfect, it still needs to be gone over with an iron to make certain it is sealed down completely. There was a guy on FaceBook that had the side of his Laser blow out. The consensus was that he left the covering as received, though I don't think he admitted to it.

Any way, I added a few photos of areas of interest, at least for myself. They are not in any order as far as build progression.

I have no problem if anyone starts an official Build Log. I just thought this here would be helpful. Stuff like Ignition routing, etc.

It would be awesome if others added to this thread as well to help out others building their Lasers.

Mark
MarkU1967 is offline Find More Posts by MarkU1967
Last edited by MarkU1967; 02-13-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Changed Discussion to Build Log.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Some pictures of the DA-120 installation.

Some pictures of the DA-120 installation. I used the Blazing Star DA-120 Standoff. I used both spacers and this put about a 1/8" gap between the spinner plate and the cowl. What a perfect fit.

I left out the included Motor Box lid and it got warped a little bit. I want this build to be perfect so I made a new one out of 3mm CF plate I got on EBay. I mounted the ignition onto the bottom side of that new plate with Double Sided Foam Tape. The best tape I found so far is from Flex Innovations (It is a 3M Electronics Tape). I mounted the Coil, dead center with the Spark Plug Wires pointing t the rear of the fuse. This way they will loop around and route pefectly as seen in one of the photos.

In order to insert the Spark Plug Boot through the hole, I cut two very small holes in the hole in order to clear the flat tabs on the boot.
Last edited by MarkU1967; 02-13-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Here I closed up the Fuse.

So I closed up the fuse as I am using a stock style exhaust. I don't suppose it's necessary, but I chose to close it off.

I closed off the Pipe Tunnel with 1/8" Plywood attached with servo screws. I did epoxy a couple strips of 1/8" Plywood to the inside of the tunnel lip to accommodate the servos mounting screws.
Last edited by MarkU1967; 02-13-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,357 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience with the Laser Mark. I look forward to seeing the final result.
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 02-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Closing off the hole in the Firewall.

I closed off the hole in the firewall with 1/4" Foam, attached with CA. I added a slit for the pick-up coil wires.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Geno
Lets play a game of WATCH THIS
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Dec 2008
2,893 Posts
Sweet!! Looks good
Geno is online now Find More Posts by Geno
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Pictures showing the MPX multi wire servo plug.

Here are some pictures showing the MPX multi wire servo plug, which is identified in the EF manual, but not shown, installed. These are available from Extreme Flight RC.

I hear they only cost around $1,179.99, BUT, the good news is that the plane comes FREE. Ha.

As seen, it installs into the wing cutout in the fuse, into the hole provided. It is an exact fit. No cutting needed. Just screw it right in.

The other end is in the wing, are hanging loosely just like your individual servo wires would, so there is no need to mount them into the wing. Just plug them in, attach your wing onto the fuse, screw the two sets of screws into the tabs holding the wings in and your good to go.

Both ends of the MPX multi servo plugs are about 6" long. The inboard Servo did not require any extension and the outboard servo required a 12" extension, with about 1/2' to 1" to spare.
Last edited by MarkU1967; 02-13-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Added Photos
Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Stabs

Here are a couple pictures of how I secured the servos leads in the Horizontal Stabilizers. I suppose it's not necessary to secure them, but I don't like the idea of them just flopping around inside there and hitting the Servo Arms.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
OK, time to go back to work now.

I will add more as I go, but the build is almost finished.

If anyone would like some pictures of a certain area of the build or any area of the plane it's self, let me know and I'll add them.

I hope you guys enjoy this thread.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Thanks for posting your experience with the Laser Mark. I look forward to seeing the final result.
Your very welcome.

Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Sweet!! Looks good
Thanks Geno.

Mark
Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkU1967 View Post
Here are some pictures showing the MPX multi wire servo plug, which is identified in the EF manual, but not shown, installed. These are available from Extreme Flight RC.

I hear they only cost around $1,179.99, BUT, the good news is that the plane comes FREE. Ha.

As seen, it installs into the wing cutout in the fuse, into the hole provided. It is an exact fit. No cutting needed. Just screw it right in.

The other end is in the wing, are hanging loosely just like your individual servo wires would, so there is no need to mount them into the wing. Just plug them in, attach your wing onto the fuse, screw the two sets of screws into the tabs holding the wings in and your good to go.

Both ends of the MPX multi servo plugs are about 6" long. The inboard Servo did not require any extension and the outboard servo required a 12" extension, with about 1/2' to 1" to spare.
Mark, I'd like to point out a very important detail with the MPX plugs. Be sure to secure the plug wires inside of the root rib so they cannot flop around. There is just enough mass in the wiring that their movement could cause the plug to become disconnected. I usually use a nylon cable tie and one of small adhesive backed cable mounts available at any home improvement store.
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2016
402 Posts
Great point. I will attach the wires inside the wing so it doesn't move around like you said. Thanks, that's a great idea,

Mark
Old 02-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,250 Posts
Very nice Mark. With the number of bad stories I've heard about Chinese point hinges, I like the idea of not having the control surfaces pre hinged. This way, you can examine the hinges and replace them if you don't like them.
I've seen the EF Extra at my home field. They do a very nice job on their planes planes.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM
SLC
Find More Posts by SLC
SLC
Dropping in
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Jul 2006
295 Posts
I closed the fuselage off a little different. I like to open up the two
holes forward of the landing gear to let more air exit the cowl. Then
I put in a piece of Creatology foam at an angle to block it off.

Sam
SLC is offline Find More Posts by SLC

Quick Reply