logo
Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
No time like the present I guess....

I had the manual build example D7 sat on a table waiting to be sent out for a strip down and covering in fabric. So I quickly grabbed a few engines and a ruler and snapped away with my phone.

The Engines used are just what I had immediately on hand. DLE 35, DLE 55 and Saito 220..

Sorry for the lack of photo studio quality... However. I hope it helps those looking at different power plants?

P.S I know that the engine is not centered. Its just a quick and dirty hold in place shot to give some size relativity.

Regards Ali
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
Thanks Adam, Glad you like it.

I worked with my team mate Gary Wright on EP set ups. My goal was to have both ends of the spectrum covered. I wanted a power set up that would allow me to pull away vertically if need be. But I also wanted a duration set up. My initial target was 10 min flights.. All while swinging a decent size prop ( close to scale )

The Rimfire 65cc set up on 12s is a beast. Where as the 170 is so efficient. I can pull away from a stationary vertical on the 65 and with the 170 on 10s 2P 10000's I am pretty sure we can get a 30 min flight!
The 65cc set up on 12s 7000's gives me a solid 9 mins of spirited flying with. I am really confident that with some considerate flying. I could hit 15 mins! ( another one to test when the weather gets a bit warmer )
I love the idea of a limiter BTW !

I have not flown with a 12S 4000. I did a 12s 5000 and no weight. It flew ok, but felt a little pitch sensitive.
I am confident that the platform would fly perfectly well with 4x 6s 5000's Our prototype model was 6 lbs heavier than production models and flew just as well. There is a lot of wing!

Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
I really like it Ali! I have the 15cc carbon Cub you did with a power 60 in it and that airplane is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for answering all our questions and providing so many great photos! I saw that the ready to fly weight in the specs says 23 to 28 lb. I'm curious what the ready to fly weight of a production model might be with the 65cc Rimfire on the 6s 7000's? I'm also hoping you do one of your awesome videos where you show us all the cool bits of this one!

Thanks again for your detailed response!

Adam
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old 03-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang View Post
I really like it Ali! I have the 15cc carbon Cub you did with a power 60 in it and that airplane is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for answering all our questions and providing so many great photos! I saw that the ready to fly weight in the specs says 23 to 28 lb. I'm curious what the ready to fly weight of a production model might be with the 65cc Rimfire on the 6s 7000's? I'm also hoping you do one of your awesome videos where you show us all the cool bits of this one!

Thanks again for your detailed response!

Adam
Happy to try and help Adam,

We are booking studio time for the D7 tech talk as we speak.

The Rimfire 65cc equipped example with 12s 4000's was 24.4 lbs. With 12s 7000's it was spot on 26 lbs,

Regards Ali
Old 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Quote:
Happy to try and help Adam,

We are booking studio time for the D7 tech talk as we speak.

The Rimfire 65cc equipped example with 12s 4000's was 24.4 lbs. With 12s 7000's it was spot on 26 lbs,

Regards Ali
Thanks for that Ali... And super excited to see the video!! I always look forward to seeing what you'll bring us next in the Hangar 9 line.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
Covering in fabric sounds like something I would do ! I think it's a very cool bird and won't take much to make it nice and scale. Glad you keep us informed as much as you do
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by jbarnes
United States, CO, Mead
Joined Jan 2007
418 Posts
I'm curious, why did you put the exhaust out the top? Is there a particular reason a bottom exhaust will not work?
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31 PM
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes View Post
I'm curious, why did you put the exhaust out the top? Is there a particular reason a bottom exhaust will not work?
The actual Fokker DVII exhaust came off the top of the engine and exited the plane on the top right (from the pilots perspective). Maybe that is to make it more scale...by having exhaust smoke exit from a scale position on the model.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by japan3d
Mr. Cessna
Japan, Ibaraki-ken, Sashima-gun
Joined Jan 2006
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Adam, Glad you like it.

I worked with my team mate Gary Wright on EP set ups. My goal was to have both ends of the spectrum covered. I wanted a power set up that would allow me to pull away vertically if need be. But I also wanted a duration set up. My initial target was 10 min flights.. All while swinging a decent size prop ( close to scale )

The Rimfire 65cc set up on 12s is a beast. Where as the 170 is so efficient. I can pull away from a stationary vertical on the 65 and with the 170 on 10s 2P 10000's I am pretty sure we can get a 30 min flight!
The 65cc set up on 12s 7000's gives me a solid 9 mins of spirited flying with. I am really confident that with some considerate flying. I could hit 15 mins! ( another one to test when the weather gets a bit warmer )
I love the idea of a limiter BTW !

I have not flown with a 12S 4000. I did a 12s 5000 and no weight. It flew ok, but felt a little pitch sensitive.
I am confident that the platform would fly perfectly well with 4x 6s 5000's Our prototype model was 6 lbs heavier than production models and flew just as well. There is a lot of wing!

Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
Which 170 are you mentioning here?
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d
Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes View Post
I wanted the smoke coming out from the top. ( Just for fun ) It looks cool when it first starts and taxi's along with smoke rolling under the wing.
No reason at all why you could not have an exhaust coming out of the bottom.
Regards Ali
Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan3d View Post
Which 170 are you mentioning here?
We have developed a Rimfire 170 especially for this and the Timber 100 projects.
Regards Ali
Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by gwright
Product Developer Hangar 9
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Feb 2006
52 Posts
The Rimfire 170 is a new motor. It is 200 KV to allow a large prop and 12S at high efficiency . We use it with a 20X10 on 10S and 12S, or 22X10 and 10S. The 170 is 22 ounces versus the 65cc rimfire at 52 ounces, which is why we run two sets of batteries in parallel. We figure if it needs the noseweight, why not put it to good use? The goal was "adequate power" with nice duration , and the ability to easily loop from level flight. All goals achieved. It flies as you would expect from 120~140 watts per pound, although it's well under 100 watts per pound
gwright is offline Find More Posts by gwright
Site Sponsor
Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2019
56 Posts
Ali,

I have had the Fokker pre-ordered through the LHS I work for since the day it was announced. I now have the 65cc Rimfire and a Castle HV160 ordered as well.

On 12 s what prop/props did you use...size and make.(I know its a Xoar WWI prop but they make 3 different ones) Using my "limited throttle curve" idea to get 30cc to 40cc power from that combination for duration would you go with a scale size prop or go a bit smaller? What is the scale size BTW? I suppose whatever size I use I can get good duration by how I use my left gimbal...

Also...any advice from you or Gary as what settings to use with a Castle ESC with the Rimfire 65?

I appreciate all your answers and putting up with my constant curiosity!

Adam
Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
52 Posts
Talon 120 ESC with latest firmware, and high timing is being used with the Rimfire 65CC. We've flown it with a mix of Xoar and APC props , covering everything from 19 to 26 inch, with pitches of 10 and 12. We're using the Talon's BEC,.. so no seperate battery for the radio. Ali likes the 24X10 as best overall, and the 22X12 comes in second. for what you want, i'd suggest the 22X12. You'll be able to pull the left stick a lot further back in cruise mode, like driving down the highway at 70 in 5th gear rather than 4th. going much smaller than that will of course decrease the amps you see on the ground, but you'll be at higher throttle in the air due to the lower thrust of the "small" prop. Flight time can actually go down due to that. Static current readings dont' tell the whole story.

multiple props were used on the D7 of various sizes, so there isn't a single "scale size" for prop.
Site Sponsor
Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin K
WI
Joined Jun 2007
704 Posts
The new Rimfire 170 sounds like a very interesting motor. Are there any more specs available at this time? And an estimated time of availability?
Kevin K is offline Find More Posts by Kevin K
Old 03-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Joined Feb 2006
52 Posts
Specs same as Rimfire 160 but KV is 200, not 250. It's a lower KV winding using that frame. Best estimate for availability is early june
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply