Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Smiley
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Jan 2006
512 Posts
Discussion
The Slickest of them all

Sorry for the bad title.
Out of the 3 listed, which Slick is preferable in regards to weight, roll/pitch coupling, and longevity(build strength/quality)?

AJ 103
EF 105
SW 104

Or is this a case of pick whatever is pretty and go fly?
Shawnlh is offline Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-20-2020, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Probably answer D. I'm local to EF so biased when purchasing.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 01-20-2020, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by jms5599
United States, MO, High Ridge
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
I only have experience with the AJ and the EF. The AJ is holding up way better but doesn't fly great. The AJ has some quirky problems that I haven't been able to get rid of. The EF is falling apart. There are cross brace sticks that keep falling out. The turtle deck moves and cracks the covering in the bottom corner where the turtle deck meets the canopy floor. The cowl is crazy thin and is cracking and the paint is falling off. The good news about the EF, it flys better with no bad tendencies compared to the AJ. This is my honest opinion. Opinion!
jms5599 is offline Find More Posts by jms5599
Old 01-20-2020, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,379 Posts
- The AJ slick is good all around. Good quality and flies great.
- The EF slick is next level fun. Far more high energy than the AJ.
- no experience with the SW.

-Craig
carrid02 is offline Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by scottyb313
AJ Aircraft
United States, MI, Petersburg
Joined Sep 2013
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Probably answer D. I'm local to EF so biased when purchasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms5599 View Post
I only have experience with the AJ and the EF. The AJ is holding up way better but doesn't fly great. The AJ has some quirky problems that I haven't been able to get rid of. The EF is falling apart. There are cross brace sticks that keep falling out. The turtle deck moves and cracks the covering in the bottom corner where the turtle deck meets the canopy floor. The cowl is crazy thin and is cracking and the paint is falling off. The good news about the EF, it flys better with no bad tendencies compared to the AJ. This is my honest opinion. Opinion!

So you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would like to hear about what quirky problems you experienced with it, We have never heard any issues. I have had some of the top pilots in the world fly my personal slick and they loved it. So I very curious.
scottyb313 is offline Find More Posts by scottyb313
Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
It will dip a wing at different speeds. Usually 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. If you fly it fast it will stall the elevators. The elevator counter balancers are warped as if they use a jig and it's slightly off and they use that same jig on both sides. My original elevators were off pretty bad and I bought another set and those were the exact same, so I called a friend with the same plane and his are warped the same direction. I have checked the incidence and everything seems to be in line (except for the elevator counter balances). Feel free to call. James 314-503-4350
Old 01-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb313 View Post
So you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would like to hear about what quirky problems you experienced with it, We have never heard any issues. I have had some of the top pilots in the world fly my personal slick and they loved it. So I very curious.
I probably was accidentally included in your post. Yes?
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by guldukat
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Statham
Joined Apr 2015
720 Posts
Have tons of experience with the EF Slick. (I have 3 for sale :https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...91#post2937731)

and the Skywing Slick. None with the AJ slick.

All my setups have the same stuff:

GP 123 V2 on stocks
BLUEBIRD H51B X 7
Bluebird 2109 X 1
27x11 FALCON
2x 2S Lipo 3600mah Pulse

Weight:
EF Slick is about 26.5lbs
SW Slick V2 is about 26.5lbs

Roll/pitch coupling - both have very little coupling when balanced neutral hands off

and longevity(build strength/quality)?

EF Slick: I had a total of 6 of them. Sold 2 new - crashed 1 and the other 3 are for sale (see link above). The construction is lacking which is why they are up for sale. As another member quoted above - The EF is falling apart. There are cross brace sticks that keep falling out (no matter what glue I used or how much I used) . The turtle deck moves and cracks the covering in the bottom corner where the turtle deck meets the canopy floor (I have had multiple fractured carbon fiber stringers). The cowl is crazy thin and is cracking and the paint is falling off. Just too much work to keep it safely airworthy.

SW Slick: It is build much stronger. Lot more glue - no cross bracing and thicker carbon stringers.

EF is about 30mins drive from my house.
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
Last edited by guldukat; 01-23-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by grizzz
addicted to flying
United States, GA, Kingsland
Joined Jan 2011
764 Posts
i just started the build on the aj slick i will post how it flies in a couple of weeks but just based on how the construction looks i thinks i will have a top contender in imac sportsman this year the grizzz
grizzz is offline Find More Posts by grizzz
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 AM
Find More Posts by velocity
Joined Dec 2011
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guldukat View Post
Have tons of experience with the EF Slick (I have 3 for sale :https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=258937)
and the SW Slick. None with the AJ slick.

All my setups have the same stuff:

GP 123 V2 on stocks
BLUEBIRD H51B X 7
Bluebird 2109 X 1
27x11 FALCON
2x 2S Lipo 3600mah Pulse

Weight:
EF Slick is about 26.5lbs
SW Slick V2 is about 26.5lbs

Roll/pitch coupling - both have very little coupling when balanced neutral hands off

and longevity(build strength/quality)?

EF Slick: I had a total of 6 of them. Sold 2 new - crashed 1 and the other 3 are for sale (see link above). The construction is lacking which is why they are up for sale. As another member quoted above - The EF is falling apart. There are cross brace sticks that keep falling out (no matter what glue I used or how much I used) . The turtle deck moves and cracks the covering in the bottom corner where the turtle deck meets the canopy floor (I have had multiple fractured carbon fiber stringers). The cowl is crazy thin and is cracking and the paint is falling off. Just too much work to keep it safely airworthy.

SW Slick: It is build much stronger. Lot more glue - no cross bracing and thicker carbon stringers.

EF is about 30mins drive from my house.
Exactly my experience with my two EF slicks!
velocity is offline Find More Posts by velocity
Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2009
973 Posts
I just want everyone to know that when I post, It's my opinion! I'm not asking for people to agree or disagree with my comments. I'm not bashing one manufacturer or another. I'm simply making my opinion know about a specific product or experience. If anyone would like to discuss, please feel free to call.
BTW Scott did not call even though he was very curious?!?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Hey guys what manufacturer is sw ?
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by guldukat
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Statham
Joined Apr 2015
720 Posts
SW = Skywing

Link to disty:

https://northwestrc.com/SkyWing_c_183.html
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Smiley
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Jan 2006
512 Posts
Quote:
I just want everyone to know that when I post, It's my opinion! I'm not asking for people to agree or disagree with my comments. I'm not bashing one manufacturer or another. I'm simply making my opinion know about a specific product or experience. If anyone would like to discuss, please feel free to call.
No worries James, your opinion is appreciated.

Same goes for guldukat, thanks for being honest.
Shawnlh is offline Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by bbrown2828
Team Futaba
United States, AR, Paragould
Joined May 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb313 View Post
Quote:
It will dip a wing at different speeds. Usually 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. If you fly it fast it will stall the elevators. The elevator counter balancers are warped as if they use a jig and it's slightly off and they use that same jig on both sides. My original elevators were off pretty bad and I bought another set and those were the exact same, so I called a friend with the same plane and his are warped the same direction. I have checked the incidence and everything seems to be in line (except for the elevator counter balances). Feel free to call. James 314-503-4350
Quote:

I would have to agree with James, as I have the same plane and it does have the same quirky problems, I do like the plane for low and slow harrier stuff though. I have owned all of the AJ 100cc planes and, was really looking forward to this one as I enjoyed the others and have owned 3 of the first Aj Slicks, I have to say I was a little disapointed with the 10th anniversary one. but i will keep flying it to it meets its final flight, I do have to say onething though, that is one tuff airframe, I drug a wingtip on a knife edge at nall last year, and flew that damn thing straght into the Pau tent and after new wings its flying again
bbrown2828 is offline Find More Posts by bbrown2828

Quick Reply