Old 11-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Discussion
Sequences and potential ceiling

Just curious how the IMAC board and sequence committee are approaching the 2020 sequences with what appears to be the new 400 ft limit.
I just haven't seen any discussion from IMAC folks as to how specifically this SIG is handling these restrictions.

Thanks
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-23-2019, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Really hoping this does not become another thread full of oh no's, what if's and blame.
I can only add that the IMAC board has been pretty involved talking to the FAA and
our senators and staff around the country. The FAA has set up dates for early December
with a formed working group to create a blanket flying site waver in uncontrolled air-
space to allow for higher altitudes 700-1200'. IMAC is pushing for additional wavers to
gain even higher airspace access. Nothing is for sure at this point but it is a positive step
by the FAA and the all volunteer IMAC board.

As I indicated in the beginning of all of this. It is reasonable to think that the FAA will
assume control of our airspaces first and then grant wavers on an as needed basis. I have confidence that sensible and cooler heads will produce good results.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 11-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Curtis,

I haven't seen much chatter either regarding this, "They" must be keeping whatever conversations they have had private and on a need to know basis. I know the Pattern world has put out a business as usual stance until told otherwise by the AMA. IMO AMA has dropped the ball on this, putting a fair amount of SIG's in jeopardy.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 11-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by Warwix
Team AJ Aircraft
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Feb 2015
452 Posts
A discussion thread about this subject is currently in the members only section of the new IMAC forum.

https://forums.mini-iac.org/forum/im...olled-airspace

Included in this thread is a copy of the official press release that IMAC sent to all of its members addressing the issue. A recent update was also posted regarding how IMAC and other sigs are moving forward together to do whatever is necessary to continue our sport through coordination with AMA and the FAA.
Warwix is offline Find More Posts by Warwix
Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Yes you will be able to get waiver .
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
So IMAC is acting independently of the AMA and going direct to the FAA? Interesting.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 11-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
So far, on other threads on FG I have seen several folks offer disdain for the FAA, AMA,
and IMAC leadership. If I where them, I likely wouldn't bother with this particular set of
individuals either. I'd just do what's right and leave them in the dark where they usually reside.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 11-23-2019, 02:20 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable solution.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
So IMAC is acting independently of the AMA and going direct to the FAA? Interesting.
That is news to me. Where did you see that?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwix View Post
That is news to me. Where did you see that?
Post #2 above:

Quote:
I can only add that the IMAC board has been pretty involved talking to the FAA and
our senators and staff around the country. The FAA has set up dates for early December
with a formed working group to create a blanket flying site waver in uncontrolled air-
space to allow for higher altitudes 700-1200'. IMAC is pushing for additional wavers to
gain even higher airspace access. Nothing is for sure at this point but it is a positive step
by the FAA and the all volunteer IMAC board.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 11-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
452 Posts
Haha, duh. Sometimes it's the simple things.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:56 AM
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
I happens sometimes. I didn't see that on the IMAC site as well until it was posted here. I will blame part of that on the IMAC site transition.....
Old 11-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
I do not have access to the press release.... thought I would ask here.....
Care to share the gist of it for those of us that are still on the fence on how to spend our hobby dollars?
Do we actually know how the sanctioning process will now work, knowing that there is no physical way to stay under 400' and to be realistic the 1200' limit/waiver would be a challenge too...
Would a CD need to apply for and receive a waiver before being granted a waiver?

Would contest points count without said waiver?
The board has set a precedence that waivers are not required and changes to contest format can be made at the contest by the CD.... so just curious....
Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Where can I find info either on the FAA site or on the AMA site regarding the 700' to 1200' waiver mentioned?
Old 11-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Team AJ Aircraft
Joined Feb 2015
452 Posts
From the IMAC Forum:

Official IMAC press release - As many of you have already heard, AMA has put out the following statement "The FAA unexpectedly informed us that, contrary to earlier commitments to AMA, the agency is planning to limit all recreational model aircraft operations to 400 feet in controlled airspace and there will be no exceptions.” There are people in the FAA who understand our situation and sympathize, but the Air Traffic Operations (ATO), branch inside the FAA, is the group that have put up the resistance.

This development is concerning to the members of our sport. The BOD has been in direct and constant contact with the AMA and continues to request dialogs with the Governmental Affairs group to discuss our on-going concern and paths forward. The BOD has also been in communication with some elected officials to impress on them unintended consequences of this action and the fact that this policy is in direct contrast to the wording of the FAA Re-Authorization ACT which explicitly expresses that a waiver system be in place for permanent recreational model operation.

As for the AMA, we are being advised that we should continue as normal with operations for the immediate future. They will be granting Sanctions for upcoming events, as usual. It is also recommended by the BOD and AMA that CD's pull their sanctions at the earliest opportunity when contests are confirmed with regional schedules and flying sites.

So, for now we consider this to be "business as usual" until we are told something different from the AMA or our elected officials.

We encourage our members to continue to contact their elected leaders. This includes any friendly local leaders who can lobby on our behalf.

As we get more information, we will post it either in a release or on the member forums.

The IMAC Board of Directors

Quick Reply