Old 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Discussion
Servo question

I really don't want to start a brand war, but I'm curious what people think. I'm looking to setup my first IMAC-only plane, and I'm wondering which servos most people are using these days. This will be a 40% plane.

I have bunches of MKS (777A) and Hitec servos, but I find that they start to get a bit sloppy around the center pretty quickly -- at least on my XA and sport planes. That would be bad on a precision plane.

Most everyone at my club is all about 3D, so they are looking for different things than I am. I don't see the fastest and highest torque being the most important. It's more about precision.

I have a Jeti radio. Anyone tried the new Ditex servos? The precise programming of center and endpoints looks interesting.

Thanks,
Dave
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Looking around elsewhere, it seems that Futaba S9177SV look to be a winner. Surprisingly, there are only a couple of servo mentions in this forum in the last few years.

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by dw87
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2014
697 Posts
I've read a little that the ditex servos work well but they are so new I'm not sure there is any data on longevity. Also do they actually have any that are strong enough for a 40% plane?
dw87 is offline Find More Posts by dw87
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Supposedly, they are rebranded Hacker servos, so they have been around a bit. Like you said though. They seem to be nowhere near as strong as the Futaba, MKS, or Hitec offerings. Normally, I would have gone MKS because they seem to be great. However, I have five 777A+ units in my 91" EF Extra. All of them have play in the arm around center after 130 flights. These were not hard flights. Almost all were IMAC practice with the occasional fun. No XA or hard snaps anywhere.

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
X-Pert servos are holding up for me very well
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Basically for IMAC any of the major brands will not have an issue. With max throws in the 20 degree range you can setup all servos with mechanical advantage. (Inner hole on servo, outer hole on control surface).

This will provide excellent holding and precision.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 AM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Joe,

That's what I was hoping, but I wanted to check with the experts. There aren't any other IMAC or precision flyers at my club to ask.

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by dw87
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined May 2014
697 Posts
I tried the top of the line airplane x-perts servos with my jeti and wasn't able to get them to center at all. I had to return them. It was puzzling to me since my friends are using the x-perts with the heli's and a fbl unit and have had no issues with them at all. I really wanted them to work to since they have great specs and soft start.

While I have not tried them, Promodeler servos sure seem to have a good history and a good manufacture "read" to them (not sure how to actually say that). I have been temped to try a couple on my planes. They now have some really strong servo's as well. If you want to stay away from the "main stream".
dw87 is offline Find More Posts by dw87
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
Joe,

That's what I was hoping, but I wanted to check with the experts. There aren't any other IMAC or precision flyers at my club to ask.

Dave
Mainstream: Futaba, JR, Hitec, etc.
Near Mainstream: Savox, MKS, pro-modeler, X-Pert, Blue-Bird, etc.

Check out my youtube channel for centering and performance tests: https://www.youtube.com/user/joetrin..._as=subscriber

Same method for all servos tested. The Centering ones are more telling since that's what you want when flying precision.

I did a complete write up with charts on another site: http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?...nds-Discussion)

That should give you some basis to work from.

Hope this helps.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Last edited by JoeT; 12-06-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
The numbers on the Promodeler servos look amazing. A lot less $$$ doesn't hurt either. 470oz/in should be more than enough.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:09 PM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Sure looks like Futaba 9177 continues to be a clear winner. Saw several IMAC names I recognized interested enough in Promodeler to buy several, but they didn't post their findings after (https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86935). The Promodeler DS630BLHV look to be a very close comparison to the Futaba. I like the all aluminum, but I'm not sure I want to risk 8 of them yet.

Dave

Dave

Quick Reply