Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Discussion
Dog Training Thread (German Shepherd)

Guys,

I am sure many of you here have owned, trained dogs of your own for perhaps many years. I need some help and guidance, especially with regards to German Shepherd breed.

I'd like to know how many of you have experience with GS so I can start my series of questioning about my dog, Cash. A couple of pics of him attached
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
There is a book, I cannot recall the authors name, called "Good dog, Bad dog" that was the basis for training my dogs. The methods and results are excellent. So much so that my brother, a veterinarian, kept a few copies in his clinic for sale to clients with "problem" dogs.

Found it at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Dog-Bad-M.../dp/0805010947
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Thanks Robo. here's some history and problems I am facing.
Here’s the story:
I adopted Cash from a rescue center about 3 months ago. He immediately bonded with me and my family. I’d say less than 3 days from being a timid, feared dog who doesn’t want to be around anyone to be part of our family.
I can kill this dog with my hands and he would not turn on me. I just want to show you the level of loyalty he has developed with us.
He doesn’t like people in the house and backyard as much. He barks at my mom or dad even after getting a treat from them.
He’s bit a few times in form of nipping. He has never broken the skin yet but he is unpredictable around people.
I got him a world known trainer (a Russian guy), he charged me $300 for 3 hours, broke his alpha behavior or ego. He’s doing a little better. The intensity has come down but still he is unpredictable. He wanted another 4 sessions but I decided to work on him myself.
He truly takes command from me. He both loves me and fears me when I give command.
I want this behavior gone. I live in Southern California where people can take advantage of a small thing and take my life away from me.
I took him to Dog Park yesterday; he is the same around other dogs even worse. I care less for him to be dog friendly as I have no time to go to dog park anyways but I want him to be predictable around people.
He is super sharp, super athletic. We don’t do walks, he runs alongside my bike. Runs not brisk walking.
Should I get him an E Collar so when I have him off the leash around people in the house or anywhere outside if he shows attitude I zap him just to have control over him off the leash?
Please advice, I am sure many of you have been involved with dogs. He’s here to stay with me, I am not going to give him up to have him killed at a shelter but I want him to do better than a guard dog behavior.
Cheers,
Reza
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by skyesdad
irving, texas
Joined Jan 2006
265 Posts
Reza you have a gem in the rough every Shepard I have owned continued the nipping thing till they were a year old and occasionally even as years past my last would kinda give me a nip if i was not paying attention to her most important give him a job they love to please and do there job but when they get bored wow hang on most of the time once to become the alpha they will settle down find the dog whisperers book and read it hope this helps
skyesdad is offline Find More Posts by skyesdad
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts
Thanks skeysdad!

Quick Reply