logo
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by Bipenut
United States, WA, Grand Coulee
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Discussion
My new to me winter project...

Hello all, after a life time love affair with aviation, I finally was able to pick up an airplane. It is a Preceptor N-3 Pup. Yes I know it is an ultralight but at least I will be able to fly around here locally. When I was younger, back in the mid 70's My dad bought a Cessna 175 and I had the pleasure of doing a bunch of flying with him and enjoyed every minute if it. He let me fly and land and take off with that airplane with him in it. I never did solo and unfortunately my dad has since passed. I started having kids and that took all my time and money but I became good friends with a guy who built a Stein Skybolt and I did a ton of flying with him, he would let me fly but I never got to take off and land, not that I really felt comfortable doing so in someone's baby. So now I get to this point in my life where all 5 kids are grown and gone and my business is well established that I came across this little airplane and decided that it was time to take the plunge. It is powered with a Global 35 horse half VW engine that is in pieces right now as the previous owner tore the engine down and never went any further. It will be a fun winter project. Before I go flying in the airplane I am going to go get some tail dragger time in a full sized airplane from an instructor.
Bipenut is offline Find More Posts by Bipenut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by Jeffcarn
Bloomington, Illinois USA
Joined Apr 2006
80 Posts
sub:

Good luck on the project!
Jeffcarn is offline Find More Posts by Jeffcarn
Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,838 Posts
Please continue this thread with progress reports and many pics....thanx in advance...... interesting
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Thank you guys, I can do that flyin4fun. A quick update already, I sent the crank, connecting rods and pistons off to a guy in Arizona to have new bearings put on and to balance the complete assembly. I will then start building the engine and will have pictures throughout the process if there is enough interest. I found out that this Global engine is one of the smoothest engines for these little planes.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
Dirty rat!!! I was *this* close to getting into a partnership on one with folding wings. But, marriage and kids had other plans.....

Good luck, awesome airplane!!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
Dirty rat!!! I was *this* close to getting into a partnership on one with folding wings. But, marriage and kids had other plans.....

Good luck, awesome airplane!!

Oh yeah the ones with folding wings would be cool but I will settle for this one lol and I understand the whole marriage and kids take precedence but maybe some day soon funboy! And thank you!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
What is going on with the welds around the engine mounts??
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipenut View Post
Hello all, after a life time love affair with aviation, I finally was able to pick up an airplane. It is a Preceptor N-3 Pup. Yes I know it is an ultralight but at least I will be able to fly around here locally. When I was younger, back in the mid 70's My dad bought a Cessna 175 and I had the pleasure of doing a bunch of flying with him and enjoyed every minute if it. He let me fly and land and take off with that airplane with him in it. I never did solo and unfortunately my dad has since passed. I started having kids and that took all my time and money but I became good friends with a guy who built a Stein Skybolt and I did a ton of flying with him, he would let me fly but I never got to take off and land, not that I really felt comfortable doing so in someone's baby. So now I get to this point in my life where all 5 kids are grown and gone and my business is well established that I came across this little airplane and decided that it was time to take the plunge. It is powered with a Global 35 horse half VW engine that is in pieces right now as the previous owner tore the engine down and never went any further. It will be a fun winter project. Before I go flying in the airplane I am going to go get some tail dragger time in a full sized airplane from an instructor.
Good for you!!! That is just awesome. You probably feel pretty proud right now huh? I keep saying to myself, "One of these days". At least your day has come.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 10-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krxprt View Post
What is going on with the welds around the engine mounts??
Good eye, that is one of the things that is going to be fixed before the engine is mounted, I can assure you the rest of the welds throughout the airplane are in good shape. I have a good friend who is a retired FAA inspector and had him look at the airframe before I bought it. He too pointed out those welds but said that the welds in the airframe are good and that he would have no problem getting in and flying it himself.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangflyer View Post
Good for you!!! That is just awesome. You probably feel pretty proud right now huh? I keep saying to myself, "One of these days". At least your day has come.
Thanks Stangflyer!! Yes I am very happy and I said to myself the very same thing and thought that one of those days would never come.... I am glad it did!! You probably don't remember who I am but I was at the Tri-Cities huckfest for one day (Saturday) this year, I was the one down at the very end with the Orange 104" Slick and the 106" Red and White Edge.... Were you able to sell your Black Pilot airplane?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
Sacramento, California
Joined Nov 2009
474 Posts
Nice Bipenut, sweet little ride you have there. I too spent a lot of time flying with my father who owned quite a few different planes. My favorites were probably the square tail 150 and the Aircoupe which he finally sold a while back. He and I were also partners in a Pietenpol Air Camper project that never got finished do to life getting in the way. Congrats man, you're gonna have a blast flying around the patch in that sweet little bird I'm sure.
crosswind is offline Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by lohchief
I'm just plane crazy,not nutz
United States, OR, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2014
208 Posts
One of the things I had done at a machine shop when I rebuilt my own VW engines was have the engine case align bored,and also had the all the holes where the cylinder studs go in drilled out and had steel 'case savers' put in. That makes sure every body is happy and turns easily and true,and the cyl studs won't strip out.Just a thought since it's already torn down.
lohchief is offline Find More Posts by lohchief
Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipenut View Post
Thanks Stangflyer!! Yes I am very happy and I said to myself the very same thing and thought that one of those days would never come.... I am glad it did!! You probably don't remember who I am but I was at the Tri-Cities huckfest for one day (Saturday) this year, I was the one down at the very end with the Orange 104" Slick and the 106" Red and White Edge.... Were you able to sell your Black Pilot airplane?
Oh no...my friend. I remember. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. I am a little jealous of your new..."GIANT SCALE" plane. But very excited for you all the same.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangflyer View Post
Oh no...my friend. I remember. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. I am a little jealous of your new..."GIANT SCALE" plane. But very excited for you all the same.
Thanks Stangflyer, yeah I wish I could have stayed longer but being a business owner I cant be gone for long.....

Ok so progress is being made. I sent the crank, pistons and connecting rods in to be balanced and have new bearings put on. In the meantime, the fuel tank used to have fuel in the tank that had turned into a thick varnish, also the sediment bowl and fuel gauge float and rod were all varnished as well. I put a gallon of lacquer thinner in the tank and let it soak for two days. I drained out the thinner through the fuel tank shut off valve and come to my surprise that the valve was mostly plastic and leaked when I opened it because of the thinner ate the plastic and rubber seals. That is ok because I am going to replace all the rubber hoses before I get it running but now it also needs a fuel shut off valve too. Part of life I guess. More to come......
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2006
237 Posts
Well I have been doing some work on the N-3 Pup. I got the crank back and started building the engine. Pretty straight forward there. The original owner had a problem with the oil pressure on climb out which was evident on the connecting rod bearings. I talked with Scott at Hummel engines in Arizona and he said the oil pump that was in the engine was probably too big for the engine. He recommended using the original size oil pump that has 21mm gears and that will solve the problem. Sure enough, the oil pump that I removed had 30mm gears and was causing cavitation and small amount of oil starvation at the connecting rod bearing. So new bearings all the way around and rings as well.
So here are a few pictures of the progress. I still have a long ways to go but I am quite pleased.

Quick Reply