Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Yeah and its also the most fickle market where if an engine is 50rpm shy of what the manufacturer promised, its Forum time
Yup, it's too bad people measure performance based on RPM's most of the time. If you fly full throttle all the time great, otherwise RPM's really don't tell you much about performance.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by antique
older than dirt,
United States, AZ, Williams
Joined Aug 2007
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Energy View Post
Comparing a 60cc engine to a 289cc drone engine back to a quadra engine was funny. Thanks for the laugh. Hahaa.
HA HA HA HA..The post was trying to show that a single bolt hub is better, not comparing any engine, new or old, to modern(?) engines..Single bolt hubs keep props on the engine,multiple bolts do not, whatever the cc size is....
You might try reading the intent of the post, it's not that hard
antique is offline Find More Posts by antique
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by Monster Energy
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique View Post
HA HA HA HA..The post was trying to show that a single bolt hub is better, not comparing any engine, new or old, to modern(?) engines..Single bolt hubs keep props on the engine,multiple bolts do not, whatever the cc size is....
You might try reading the intent of the post, it's not that hard
Don't get me wrong, your Probly right. I have never shears bolts off any of my engines. But not too many people buy these engines to do what you guys do to them. It cracks me up how you always have something to say about these engines. The 4 bolts on these 60cc engines are perfectly safe. Never had a problem with mine. If you do, learn how to drill a prop, lol.
Monster Energy is offline Find More Posts by Monster Energy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
I like single bolt hubs because they are no fuss to fit a prop from new without the need to drill and you can experiment with different props without making them useless to any other engine that has a dif bolt config. What doesnt work on one engine can be used for a different one. Shearing multi bolt hubs has never been a problem for me but they do make prop choice selection more critical unless you have money to burn on expensive testing and are Ok with having a shelf full of not so good props you wouldnt prefer to use in future on that engine but cant face throwing away.
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Last edited by BRBR; 12-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,207 Posts
+2 single bolts should be standard
rick dazzler is online now Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Geetarjoe
Flyin' since 1991
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
I liked seeing the solidworks drawings of these engines. very cool.
Geetarjoe is offline Find More Posts by Geetarjoe
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBR View Post
I like single bolt hubs because they are no fuss to fit a prop from new without the need to drill and you can experiment with different props without making them useless to any other engine that has a dif bolt config. What doesnt work on one engine can be used for a different one. Shearing multi bolt hubs has never been a problem for me but they do make prop choice selection more critical unless you have money to burn on expensive testing and are Ok with having a shelf full of not so good props you wouldnt prefer to use in future on that engine but cant face throwing away.
That's a good point. I can see how that would help save some cash in the long run. I would hope the gp61 will be the same bolt pattern as most 50-60cc engines. Keep it all universal.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Limitless Aero
Tyler, tx
Joined Oct 2010
1,658 Posts
Its the same as the dle and da..
KoleDeRacer is offline Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by BRBR
A contributor of sorts
Joined Aug 2012
1,931 Posts
Smart move GP
When you own a few engines and one is an MLD as I do its bastard of a bolt pattern. Nothing comes close so your farked if you picked the wrong prop. Only way I get around it is by buying a wooden prop first and if it proves good buy a carbon next and use the wood as a spare
BRBR is offline Find More Posts by BRBR
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
Its the same as the dle and da..
Sweet!! I am excited to see how hard the 61 can swing a 24a and a 24b. At my elevation, we are using a 24a swinging about 6950 rpm. Roughly 4000 ft above the sea. I am impressed with the 88 and 176. Especially the evo. Watching the 37.5 % Yak launch out of a hover like a 100cc is incredible.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
actuallu Antique is right, single bolt prop hub is much safer. All the props inertia is handled by the interference of the prop against the hub. Any slip just tightens the nut up.
In a mult bolt arrangement, any slip results in the bolts being placed in bending and you can use long column theory to work out if they can fail or not. The threads are also laced under stress will can result in micro cracking so they may not fail on the flight or the next flight but they will eventually. Everytime the you have a prop strike that breaks a prop, you place the prop hub under stress its not designed to cope with. A single bolt prop hub is better at coping with this
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
697 Posts
I am very appreciate everyone here in this thread give me such great suggestion!!!
But the 61 crankshaft was made and it's too late if want to change single bolt!
I will build single bolt hub in my next project maybe GP-35
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by grassie
South Africa, GP, Centurion
Joined Jan 2008
616 Posts
It is your design and your choice. Believe me, if someone wants one of your engines, the bolt pattern is not going to spoil the sale. Great work Fergus, I can't wait for my 123!!
grassie is offline Find More Posts by grassie
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassie View Post
It is your design and your choice. Believe me, if someone wants one of your engines, the bolt pattern is not going to spoil the sale. Great work Fergus, I can't wait for my 123!!
Exactly......But I really want to know what people think about it and I will analyze the advantage/shortage than make a choose
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
hmmmmm GP 35, now my ears are wide open!!

Fergus, no worries on the GP61 prop hub, whats done is done , it won;t hurt sales but it would be great if an aftermarket prop hub could be available once the dust settles on all the engines you're releasing. SIngle prop hub is a better engineering solution in this capacity class but having 4 bolts won't slow sales I'm sure
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle

Quick Reply