logo
Old 02-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tailslide
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2013
483 Posts
Alert
Lack of Comments about FAA RID NPR

About 20K comments are now posted on the regulations.gov web site with only 10 days left. Just out of curiosity I went through names of of prominent folks at AMA including District Vice Presidents who are urging us to comment, to review their comments and participation.

Of the eleven AMA District VPs, I could not find comments for six of them!!!!!
AMA has 180,000 members and who knows how many employees and to date we have only about 20K comments about FAA RID NPR?
Way to lead... AMA
Tailslide is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Fenderbean
United States, AL, Meridianville
Joined Nov 2010
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
About 20K comments are now posted on the regulations.gov web site with only 10 days left. Just out of curiosity I went through names of of prominent folks at AMA including District Vice Presidents who are urging us to comment, to review their comments and participation.

AMA has 180,000 members and who knows how many employees and to date we have only about 20K comments about FAA RID NPR?
Way to lead... AMA
AMA will not survive much longer anyway, they have could have done soooo much better. Its the problem with this type of ORG we need lawyers right now not AMA
Fenderbean is offline Find More Posts by Fenderbean
Old 02-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2007
840 Posts
AMA can only do so much when the membership is apathetic. I wish I was surprised but I’m not.

Most people can barely be bothered to vote on life and death issues of national policy...
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 02-21-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Life
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by tinker777
United States, NJ, Island Heights
Joined Apr 2018
121 Posts
WAKE UP GUYS AND LADYS

TIME TO TALK UP ABOUT THE FAA, GO TO THE AMA SITE AND SY SOMETHING, SEEMS THE AMA ISNT USEING THERE VOICE, DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT AFTR 45 YEARS WITH THE HOBBY I WILL BE DAMM IF I AM GOING TO LET THE GOV TAKE IT AWAY, I WILL DIE WITH MY TRANSMITTER AND CHICKEN STICK IN MY HAND
tinker777 is offline Find More Posts by tinker777
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by mytms
United States, TN, Limestone
Joined Mar 2006
223 Posts
faa

I've emailed my senators, but need to do it again. We need to flood them with emails so they have to take notice. The AMA has our emails and pertinent info, they should have emailed every senator and representatives for us. It'd be easy to set up a program to do this, I would think.
mytms is offline Find More Posts by mytms
Old 02-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by myfivezees
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Oct 2007
609 Posts
I received a reply from my senator. He didn't mention one thing pertaining to the issue I wrote to him about.

It appeared to be a standard form letter lauding all of his accomplishments regarding tax reform, jobs, etc, etc, etc,

I have to assume my letter had no impact on this particular senator. I can only hope other senators are not replying in a similar manner.

I will also keep flying safely until someone takes my transmitter from my hands.
myfivezees is offline Find More Posts by myfivezees
Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by ERichard
United States, CO, Todd Creek
Joined Apr 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post

Way to lead... AMA
Let's be careful about making judgements yet, there is still a little over a week to get comments in. I do know that I did a search of some well known competitors and didn't see them, but heard from them that they are still working on their responses. I would hope this is the case for most that haven't commented yet. After March 2nd, if you do a search and they haven't left a comment then you can go at 'em. Also, they may choose to comment anonymously. Keep getting the word out.
ERichard is offline Find More Posts by ERichard
Old 02-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by maukaonyx
Joined Nov 2007
30 Posts
I would also be concerned about what the hobby businesses are saying in their comments. I have emailed a couple of small ones that I use, and one seemed concerned and one responded more like I can go on as usual if I fly at a club field. That didn’t give me comfort. I haven’t seen any comments offered by the biggies like Tower/Horizon, and most of the online shops I go to just encourage us to comment to the FAA. Maybe that’s all I should expect but it seems discouraging to me that they are not more active. I mean why aren’t they fighting mad?!
maukaonyx is offline Find More Posts by maukaonyx
Old 02-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by emessys
Bklyn, NY
Joined Jan 2006
863 Posts
I suspect that many vendors see the handwriting on the wall; that the hobby as we know it was dying long before the FAA got involved, and they have already made their future business plans based on the drone industry, much as DA now sells more $ worth of equipment to the government than to hobbyists.
emessys is offline Find More Posts by emessys
Old 02-22-2020, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Wildwings2
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jan 2009
22 Posts
I have written my Senators and as usual a generic reply. All we can do is hope enough of us get involved and get noticed or we will be written off. And our hobby will die
Wildwings2 is offline Find More Posts by Wildwings2
Old 02-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytms View Post
I've emailed my senators, but need to do it again. We need to flood them with emails so they have to take notice. The AMA has our emails and pertinent info, they should have emailed every senator and representatives for us. It'd be easy to set up a program to do this, I would think.
The time for Congressional action was two years ago. At that time a call to action was put forth but it pretty much fell on deaf ears and there was little action by modelers. That ship has sailed and they passed the FAA reauthorization act in 2018. As there is currently nothing before Congress regarding the FAA, writing to Senators and Representatives would probably be poorly received because the subject for consideration isn't currently in front of them.

At this point its pretty much a matter of responding to the rules proposals then waiting to see what their ultimate decision is. Then fighting the ruling through whatever channels we can afford if the rulings are unfavorable for us.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer

Quick Reply