logo
Old 03-01-2020, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Joined Jan 2019
47 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone built a model from Krill

I was looking for some tips towards putting together a Krill Lazer, anyone built one of these ? or any other Krill aircraft.
Av8tor1 is offline Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-01-2020, 08:13 AM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
570 Posts
There are lots of people on here that have built Krill airplanes. The Lazer is fairly new but the build on the Krill models are similar. What is the question?
jlc is online now Find More Posts by jlc
Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,587 Posts
To make any glue joint you are going to install, scuff/sand the area you are going to glue, and then clean the spot withrubbing alcohol.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 03-01-2020, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2019
47 Posts
I have been searching though to see what i can find. I am use to balsa builds and its my first comp plane which comes with no instructions. I have a good idea how to put it together but she is a really nice airplane and want to make sure i research everything before putting it together.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
I have been searching though to see what i can find. I am use to balsa builds and its my first comp plane which comes with no instructions. I have a good idea how to put it together but she is a really nice airplane and want to make sure i research everything before putting it together.
Get read up on Hysol and buy yourself a gun and several cartridges. It's sold at numerous places but the best prices I've seen are from McMaster-Carr.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 03-01-2020, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
No it’s not an ARF, I built it
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
173 Posts
Lots of different building skills needed. Not hard, just different. They build more like molded gliders than any balsa/ply plane. You’ll have to give much more thought to equipment location and that may require fabricating some trays or mounts. Kind of a blank canvas in a way.

They certainly leave a lot up to the builder but I prefer this over a snap together plane that “builds” in a weekend. You’ll need to do some cutting and trimming of parts which many feel should already be done.

Rcnetwork.de has lots of Krill builds on it. You can use Google translate or just see the pics to get some good ideas. Some very meticulous builds there.

Post up questions here.
ROFF is offline Find More Posts by ROFF
Last edited by ROFF; 03-01-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,201 Posts
This place also has excellent prices on Hysol and other aero adhesives
https://www.skygeek.com/
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 03-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2019
47 Posts
Thanks for the info, yes its certainly different to the woodies. I certainly wont rush into it but just did not want to jump in and start placing bits anywhere . I did find this which is the same model

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=230139
Old 03-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
141 Posts
Just to be clear - you are “putting together” or “assembling”. You’re not building anything. Sorry. I know that sounds dickish. But one is either building something or they are assembling a highly pre-fab’ed airplane......of which there are threads ad-nauseum on this site and others. Just call it like it is. That’s all I’m saying.

And honestly - it’s not your fault. The moderators of this site need to differentiate forums between “Assembly Threads” and “Build Threads”.

If you buy an ARF and put the pieces together, that’s NOT a build thread.

Likewise, if you take a box of balsa and make an airplane (even if the wings are foam-core), you’re a hero. That’s old-skool model aviation and should be commended.
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Last edited by Motomazzo; 03-01-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2019
47 Posts
I know what your saying, and your right its assembling. When it comes to IMAC and 3D planes I would say there would be very few who actually make there own plug or build from a plan or scratch, Credit to people who do this but the hard work is done for you.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
141 Posts
Didn’t mean to sound like an A$$. I’m just old school, man. When I was coming up in the hobby, everything was a box of balsa or scratch built. ARF’s completely sucked and were a waste of time and money. When I was 17, I designed and built my own giant scale pattern/sport aerobatic aircraft. No CAD. All hand-drawn plans and piece parts built from scratch. It wasn’t the best plane ever, but it was mine and the skill/knowledge gained were invaluable. I see these “assembly” threads today and just have to shake my head. Don’t get me wrong - the planes and engines we have today are amazing. Like nothing I could have ever imagined. But I just don’t see the point in taking pics of putting part A on part B and calling it a build thread.

Dang it. I sound like a grumpy old man. My dad told me this would happen, LOL!
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by ROFF
No it’s not an ARF, I built it
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
173 Posts
^^^^^^
100%
ROFF is offline Find More Posts by ROFF
Old 03-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2019
47 Posts
Lol. I build my own balsa kits as well and i enjoy doing it, I am only in my mid 20s but find it hard finding time to actually spend hours and even years just building one plane. But you do get a share enjoyment doing it and really appreciate it afterwards. I would hate to try and build a IMAC or 3D plane that is good as they are today. Giant Warbirds are fun builds.

Quick Reply