logo
Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
United States, OH, Tallmadge
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Whoops!
Accidentally, briefly shorted out a brand new 6.6v Spektrum Life pack/x24? is it ok??

Like the title states

I was using a new x24 although deans connectors as that Is what i use in everything else, albeit an oversight, but the two inputs are not electically isolated and connect the batteries in parallel(why idk) lacks the redundancy but what ever. and the other lead was hanging down, I did not realize it was touching my canisters. sparked a bit, decent sized ones too.

I did not notice if the x24 did anything but it powers on fine. the battery did not get hot or smoke that i could tell./

is the battery ok probably? toss it? toss the x24 now too? 100c plane worth the risk??? i know life is supposedly slightly safer than lipo but shorting is a different story lol.

thanks for the advice.

also if anyone knows why you would want a power expander that does not use isolated power inputs vs a wired together? cus why not just use bigger batteries then? thoughts on that?? its the x24 power expander. also does not use regulated output to the servos/rx (straight power from the batts) hence me needing to even use life instead of lipo.
NavyGuy757 is offline Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
880 Posts
Hard to be sure...…………….so TOSS IT!! and be much more sure with a new one OR fly it
and find out for sure. MHO
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 AM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
Toss it in a box and ship it to me ��

Would ask XPS what they say but they claim they are rated for 200 amps, I would think you are fine.
Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Old 10-21-2019, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by advanceandy
super bad ASS
United States, MN, Anoka
Joined May 2006
80 Posts
Toss it in a box and send it to XPS so they can check it out
advanceandy is online now Find More Posts by advanceandy
Old 10-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airiley View Post
Toss it in a box and ship it to me ��

Would ask XPS what they say but they claim they are rated for 200 amps, I would think you are fine.
I posted in the discussion thread. But they also day shorting itnout can damage it. Probably because shorting it out can give greater amp draw but we'll see
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,750 Posts
Life chemistry is very forgiving. I've left power switches on for weeks and the battery came back after sitting on the wall charger for a few hours. That pack is years old and still flies today. I would put it on the charger and do a full charge/discharge/charge cycle and see how it does. If it passes then I would use it.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
Life chemistry is very forgiving. I've left power switches on for weeks and the battery came back after sitting on the wall charger for a few hours. That pack is years old and still flies today. I would put it on the charger and do a full charge/discharge/charge cycle and see how it does. If it passes then I would use it.
thanks, this is prob what I will do first give a charge, discharge cycle and see.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
I mostly run deans also but this is one reason why I bought my 24 with ec5’s .
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
I mostly run deans also but this is one reason why I bought my 24 with ec5ís .
yeah, prooobbbabbbllly also why they do not sell that one WITH deans, at least that i could tell so I had to solder mine on lol.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy757 View Post
thanks, this is prob what I will do first give a charge, discharge cycle and see.

+1. If you have or know somebody with a FMA Powerlab hook it up to the PC and do a full charge/discharge/charge cycle and graph it to see how the battery holds up. Odds are its fine.

I have also left them plugged in by accident over a winter and recovered them. Also shorted one hard by accident bench testing.. the wires melted and the battery started to smoke before I could disconnect it, but nothing exploded. If yours didn't even get warm they are probably OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy757 View Post
but the two inputs are not electically isolated and connect the batteries in parallel(why idk) lacks the redundancy but what ever.

Why do you think this is "lacking redundancy" Have both inputs live all the time means that both packs are powering the bus, doubling your potential amp draw capacity, and insuring that in any situation short of a dead short in one of the packs you will have power.

There is a lot of debate of the value of "smart" switching units that sense and switch between the two batteries. I am in the "unnecessary complexity" camp on this matter and see it as just one more potential point of failure. Even worse, with a smart system you loose current handling benefit of dual packs.
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 10-22-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply