Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by brandontwalker
Gettin' Lower!
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Discussion
DLA 128: Who wants one?

Damn, this thing is sexy! I am thrilled with the idea of a 4-banger on my 35%. Anyone else have this feeling? If you don't, then watch this video and see if it changes your mind:
DLA-128 TI by JS (0 min 57 sec)
brandontwalker is offline Find More Posts by brandontwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
How about this one? 29x10 prop pulling at 60lbs. Not bad...

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/BlIAkOcaGrw/
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by Jedijody
Proud father of 3 Soldiers
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Nope, didn't change my mind.
Jedijody is offline Find More Posts by Jedijody
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,916 Posts
It's not the DLA pricing I'm sure but I'd bet this one would last for multiple 35% airplanes: http://www.aircraftinternational.com...5/Default.aspx
terryscustom is online now Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Definitely not DLA pricing. A big note of interest on this 128 is the claimed 13 HP. The 3W is only rated at 11 HP, which is less than most 2 cylinder models. While the HP claims are hard to confirm on these engines, I am interested to see the actual numbers end users put up on a fish scale test.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by dooinit
I am bad-ass
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Jul 2010
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
It's not the DLA pricing I'm sure but I'd bet this one would last for multiple 35% airplanes: http://www.aircraftinternational.com...5/Default.aspx
That motor looks awesome(the 3w). That's pretty big money for a 35% motor
dooinit is offline Find More Posts by dooinit
Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quality = longevity.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by Bikman
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
Nope, didn't change my mind.
why not ?
Bikman is offline Find More Posts by Bikman
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Seriously, you need to ask? Do some reading and research on DLA. I'd think it should handle a prop bigger than 26x10, but then he's probably afraid a bigger prop will break it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Not quiet sure what happened to the power test video, but it is also on the following link: http://www.feiaomodel.net/html_produ...A-128-645.html

Jody, everyone has an opinion. Based upon your other posts, it appears that you are of the mindset that your opinion is the one and only and is always right. When trolling posts, at least make sure you are arguing based upon correct facts. The prop in the video is plainly stamped as a 29x10 (I even pointed this fact out above) and appears it is being swung effortlessly by the engine. Of course, if you are claiming that you still framed the video and took measurements of this prop, scaled those measurements based on the posted engine specs and that the claimed prop size in the video is fraudulent, then we may have room for discussion. Otherwise, troll elsewhere.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by bamdfisher
KRAZY KANUK
Canada, ON, Parry Sound District
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontwalker View Post
Not quiet sure what happened to the power test video, but it is also on the following link:
Quote:
http://www.feiaomodel.net/html_products/DLA-128-645.html

Jody, everyone has an opinion. Based upon your other posts, it appears that you are of the mindset that your opinion is the one and only and is always right. When trolling posts, at least make sure you are arguing based upon correct facts. The prop in the video is plainly stamped as a 29x10 (I even pointed this fact out above) and appears it is being swung effortlessly by the engine. Of course, if you are claiming that you still framed the video and took measurements of this prop, scaled those measurements based on the posted engine specs and that the claimed prop size in the video is fraudulent, then we may have room for discussion. Otherwise, troll elsewhere.

WELL STATED !!!
bamdfisher is offline Find More Posts by bamdfisher
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Bulldog9
United States, OH, Xenia
Joined Sep 2009
468 Posts
The problem with any 4-cyclinder engine is the crank shaft. You have two cranks that are pressed together and then pins put in them to keep the cranks from twisting. DA and 3W have had a lot problems with their cranks twisting. I have one of the "new" DLA-64s and have taken it apart and the insides look pretty good except for the crank. I'm not a metallurgist, however, it appears to me that the crank is not hardened machine steel. If the crank shafts they use are soft or not pinned correctly, the crank shaft will twist and you will have a pile of junk real quick. Joe Lewis, who is the real engine expert, and I have tried to get DLA to send us one of these engines for evaluation. So far we have no luck, they want us to pay for one and then give them the mods to fix it. I think this engine would a very good seller to the scale guys and general modelers if the crank shaft is not a major problem.
Bulldog9 is offline Find More Posts by Bulldog9
Old 03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Not quiet sure what happened to the power test video, but it is also on the following link: http://www.feiaomodel.net/html_produ...A-128-645.html

Ummm, you need some better glasses. Of course I freeze framed it, but why scale anything when I can just read it stamped plainly on the prop. The only video on their website shows it spinning a 27x10 JXF at 6400-6500, about what I would expect.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you. But I can assure you, I have a MUCH more extensive background, history, and experience, even with this particular manufacturer to base my opinion on than you. And, since you can't tell a 6 from a 9, that makes yours very suspect from the get go. But keep gulping down that Chinese Kool-Aid, mmmmm!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog9 View Post
The problem with any 4-cyclinder engine is the crank shaft. You have two cranks that are pressed together and then pins put in them to keep the cranks from twisting. DA and 3W have had a lot problems with their cranks twisting. I have one of the "new" DLA-64s and have taken it apart and the insides look pretty good except for the crank. I'm not a metallurgist, however, it appears to me that the crank is not hardened machine steel. If the crank shafts they use are soft or not pinned correctly, the crank shaft will twist and you will have a pile of junk real quick. Joe Lewis, who is the real engine expert, and I have tried to get DLA to send us one of these engines for evaluation. So far we have no luck, they want us to pay for one and then give them the mods to fix it. I think this engine would a very good seller to the scale guys and general modelers if the crank shaft is not a major problem.
Thanks for the constructive feedback on this one. I am no expert on engines, but it does sound nice. I have been looking for a good review of this motor in the US, but it appears you have identified the reason as to why there is none. I'm with you, I would not be willing to pay to be the test dummy on a completely new engine.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
I hate to admit, Jody is right. Still an ******* though lol!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy

Quick Reply