logo
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Hey guys
Here are a couple of pictures of my hopper tank set up. I did this because I wanted to run two fuel supply lines, one to each carb and get a little extra fuel capacity at the same time. The small tank is 12 oz. It sucks fuel out of the main tank and stays full the whole time there is fuel in the main tank. Anyway, there you go...
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by pkchapman
Because, it's not heavy enough
Shady Cove Or
Joined Sep 2009
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
Hey guys
Here are a couple of pictures of my hopper tank set up. I did this because I wanted to run two fuel supply lines, one to each carb and get a little extra fuel capacity at the same time. The small tank is 12 oz. It sucks fuel out of the main tank and stays full the whole time there is fuel in the main tank. Anyway, there you go...
Thanks Henry,
I learned something new.
Very nice install.
Paul
pkchapman is offline Find More Posts by pkchapman
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
Henry,

So if you're running an engine with 2 carbs - like with a DA-200?

Does DA say that is neccessary?

I have been over this idea of running out fuel on a down line before.
Seems that back in the day it was big concern when running methanol on twins.
Some folks did use a header tank - some didn't.
I have tried both.
When the DA's and 3W's (gassers) came out never worried about it.

I do believe the prevailing wind on this issue is that between the fuel that is in the clink line and the reservior of the carb is enough fuel for over a minute at idle.

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by kevgofly
Marysville, WA
Joined Jan 2006
438 Posts
Henry,
THAT WILL NEVER WORK! That's a total mess! As a good friend, I'll take that off your hands while you re-think it for your next attempt.

Disclaimer: That was a joke, Henry, that's amazing! Your the RC airplane version of an F1 car engineer! I love the way all your stuff is purpose first, beuty in simplicity!

Intersting view with the video. Obviously our setups work (for the most part) with this arrangment, but you have to wonder how much more consistent our runs could be with air never being introduced into the feed line. One easy solution is to add a felt clunk, the down side (no pun intended) is that the felt fibers tend to break free and make their way THROUGH standard filters, all the way to the carb.

Interesting,
Kev
kevgofly is offline Find More Posts by kevgofly
Last edited by kevgofly; 11-07-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by kevgofly
Marysville, WA
Joined Jan 2006
438 Posts
On a seperate note, and completely off topic (forgive me), anyone know a good place to get away in the greater Seattle area (give or take). We want to take the Veterans day weekend and do a "shakedown cruise" on the RV. Would love to find a nice KOA or something along those lines, indoor pool, running path, gym, etc... a plus. Also, any chance to do "tourist stuff" may be good as well. We've been here almost 12 years, I've been to Wenatchee, Richland, Spokane, Coure De' Alene, High Desert, Olympia, Molalla, etc... you get the picture. What's there to see in WA that isnt a flying field? It's November, so I guess I can sacrifice and do a weekend not flying (I may not survive!).

Thanks in advance all my rusty old wet weather Pacific Northwest fleece wearing no umbrella having friends! Hope your all having a great winter,
Kev
kevgofly is offline Find More Posts by kevgofly
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Hey Ron
DA does not say this is nessessary for the 200, and most guys are running one clunk with a Y somewhere along the line and that seems to work fine. Ideally both lines want to be exactly the same lenght so that when you are choking the engine, fuel gets to both carbs at the same time. That sort of makes sense to me so I chose to go with the two lines.
I agree, I don't think that this is that big an issue because we have all been running the regular clunk and our engines run fine and don't quit on down lines. I does make you think about it though after seeing that video!

I do remember a long time ago when flying pattern I had a plane and engine set up that consistantly quit on a long down line. I couldn't fix the problem until I intalled a small hopper tank and then it worked fine.

Henry
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Extreme Flight, DA, JR. (:
Molalla, OR.
Joined May 2010
1,187 Posts
I could point out a lot of good places in Oregon but I don't know Washington very well.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgofly View Post
Henry,
THAT WILL NEVER WORK! That's a toal mess! As a good friend, I'll take that off your hands while you re-think it for your next attempt.

Disclaimer: That was a joke, Henry, that's amazing! Your the RC airplane version of an F1 car engineer! I love the way all your stuff is purpose first, beuty in simplicity!

Intersting view with the video. Obviously our setups work (for the most part) with this arrangment, but you have to wonder how much more consistent our runs could be with air never being introduced into the feed line. One easy solution is to add a felt clunk, the down side (no pun intended) is that the felt fibers tend to break free and make their way THROUGH standard filters, all the way to the carb.

Interesting,
Kev
I would simply loop the feed line creating a larger reservoir if the line seemed to be to short.
Henry's idea is great as long as there are never any air leaks.
Bernard did an excellent job making this video.
There was a video similar to this one that was done a few years ago and was posted on the soda bottle thread. For some strange reason it was removed.
divad is offline Find More Posts by divad
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Henry,
THAT WILL NEVER WORK! That's a total mess! As a good friend, I'll take that off your hands while you re-think it for your next attempt.

Interesting,
Kev
Well thanks Kevin! but you do some mighty fine work yourself. In fact, I'm kind of jealous of your stick plane and I wish I had the patiance and time to make one even half as nice.

Henry
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by harv
it wont go any lower
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2006
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
Well thanks Kevin! but you do some mighty fine work yourself. In fact, I'm kind of jealous of your stick plane and I wish I had the patiance and time to make one even half as nice.

Henry
you should be last person to complain about lack of patience.
hahaha
harv is offline Find More Posts by harv
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by mirandapiorun
The Giggling Tomato (GT)
Mission BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
672 Posts
Quote:
Henry,
Hahahahahaha I laughed so hard at that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv View Post
you should be last person to complain about lack of patience.
hahaha
this too
mirandapiorun is offline Find More Posts by mirandapiorun
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by kbodeau
Keith Bodeau
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jan 2006
348 Posts
Several years ago (read 10 years or so) I had that exact problem. We had a down Humpty as the last maneuver of the Advanced sequence, on the second sequence I would get a big hesitation after the push at the bottom on the upline of that humpty and it would almost die. I figured out if I waited to add the power until the nose was level or pointed up I was fine, but if I added power while the nose was still down I would get the hesitation every time. I fixed the problem with a felt clunk and never had an issue again. the felt holds enough fuel around the clunk to keep out the air bubbles for much longer than a standard clunk. I have landed with 50 oz. tanks with just an ounce or two at the back of them and never had a problem. As Kevin said there have been complaints about the felt getting in the filter screens and clogging them up but I have never had an issue with that as I replace them ever year or two.

Keith
kbodeau is offline Find More Posts by kbodeau
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbodeau View Post
Several years ago (read 10 years or so) I had that exact problem. We had a down Humpty as the last maneuver of the Advanced sequence, on the second sequence I would get a big hesitation after the push at the bottom on the upline of that humpty and it would almost die. I figured out if I waited to add the power until the nose was level or pointed up I was fine, but if I added power while the nose was still down I would get the hesitation every time. I fixed the problem with a felt clunk and never had an issue again. the felt holds enough fuel around the clunk to keep out the air bubbles for much longer than a standard clunk. I have landed with 50 oz. tanks with just an ounce or two at the back of them and never had a problem. As Kevin said there have been complaints about the felt getting in the filter screens and clogging them up but I have never had an issue with that as I replace them ever year or two.
Keith
I thought about trying a filter clunk, but it was only to filter the fuel. It doesn't work with a 2 line system. For some weird reason I like hairless better anyways
divad is offline Find More Posts by divad
Last edited by divad; 11-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by dlurvey
Just another IMAC prima donna
Aloha, Oregon
Joined Apr 2006
696 Posts
Whoa!!
dlurvey is offline Find More Posts by dlurvey
Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Swatin Flys
Chief Aircraft R/C Sales Tech.
Medford Or.
Joined Nov 2010
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divad View Post
I thought about trying a filter clunk, but it was only to filter the fuel. It doesn't work with a 2 line system. For some weird reason I like hairless better anyways
Only in you dreams old man
Swatin Flys is offline Find More Posts by Swatin Flys

Quick Reply