logo
Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by infinitemass
Joined May 2008
117 Posts
Atlantic city airshow shockwave

Caught a great shot of that cool shockwave cone coming off the back of a fighter as it approaches the speed of sound.
This is a still from the video.
Great show. Right over the water in Altantic City.
infinitemass is offline Find More Posts by infinitemass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts
Re: Atlantic city airshow shockwave

Nice. We don't get supersonic runs in TN.
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Joined May 2008
117 Posts

I don`t think he was supposed to hit that speed. They fly over the water just off the beach. Here`s the clip that I got the still from.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by teryn
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts

a stunning picture indeed. We are extremely lucky to be able to witness such an incredible aerodynamic phemnomena. Often misinterpreted and ill-explained, what you are really seeing is a Prandtl-Glauart Singularity cloud caused by the amplification of pressure disturbances at or near the speed of sound. This is caused a mathematical singularity at Mach 1. I looked into the math and confirmed it theoretically. Under the right conditions the Singularity can be visualized by the human eye as a result of the reduction in local pressure and moisture condensation caused by the amplification. With the drop in pressure at points around the vehicle, there is a corresponding drop in local temperature leading to condensation (assuming the air is near the saturation point) causing a cloud. For us to see this around an aircraft as seen here, there has to be sufficient moisture present when the aircraft goes transonic.

Often assumed, the outline of the cloud DOES NOT define the edge of the shockwave (shockwaves cause an INCREASE in pressure and temperature across them - the opposite trends needed for condensation and formation of clouds). Despite obvious visual similarities, it's very deceptive (as is most of fluid mechanics) - the PG cloud shape DOES NOT outline a shockwave. The two formations are NOT related, and caused by two unrelated aerodynamic mechanisms. The PG cloud only manifests itself very close to the speed of sound - it DOES NOT form at subsonic or supersonic conditions - only in a very tight band around Mach 1.

If you want to see good shockwaves go to a wind tunnel equipped with Schlieren or Shadowgraph equipment. you can also see them well on the wing of an airliner if the sun is in the right place and if the pilot is going fast enough. But a lot of things have to come together for it to happen.
teryn is offline Find More Posts by teryn
Last edited by teryn; 08-22-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Joined May 2008
117 Posts

Did a little research and it seems both definitions are correct?

One view of this phenomenon is that it exhibits the effect of compressibility and the so-called "N-wave". The N-wave is the time variant pressure profile seen by a static observer as a sonic compression wave passes. The overall three-dimensional shock wave is in the form of a cone with its apex at the supersonic aircraft. This wave follows the aircraft. The pressure profile of the wave is composed of a leading compression component (the initial upward stroke of the "N"), followed by a pressure descent forming a rarefaction of the air (the downward diagonal of the "N"), followed by a return to the normal ambient pressure (the final upward stroke of the "N"). The rarefaction may be thought of as the "rebounding" of the compression due to inertial effects
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by shotgun
Mojo Aviation Flight Team
Hucking with the Stars- Zero G style
Joined Dec 2007
1,333 Posts

Holy . And I just wanted to see the cool pic. jk
Nice explanation guys
shotgun is offline Find More Posts by shotgun
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,889 Posts

Yeah..........
What they said. I was searching for the right words. (Great explanation and great video!)
WT
WangoTango is online now Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

JK, Those were both very good explanations, and I can honestly say I learned something today. Thanks for explaining... Besides the military, are there any airshows that allow supersonic flight?
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by teryn
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemass View Post
Did a little research and it seems both definitions are correct?

One view of this phenomenon is that it exhibits the effect of compressibility and the so-called "N-wave". The N-wave is the time variant pressure profile seen by a static observer as a sonic compression wave passes. The overall three-dimensional shock wave is in the form of a cone with its apex at the supersonic aircraft. This wave follows the aircraft. The pressure profile of the wave is composed of a leading compression component (the initial upward stroke of the "N"), followed by a pressure descent forming a rarefaction of the air (the downward diagonal of the "N"), followed by a return to the normal ambient pressure (the final upward stroke of the "N"). The rarefaction may be thought of as the "rebounding" of the compression due to inertial effects
let's give credit where credit is due when we post things - this is taken directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prandtl...rt_singularity
teryn is offline Find More Posts by teryn
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????
United States, NJ, Egg Harbor City
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts

Yep, I was there.
I decided not to take the video camera this year.
It seems like you miss so much of the airshow looking through the veiw finder.
I live 3 minutes away from the Atlantic City airport. I see the F-16 all day long.
At this years airshow, my favorite was seeiing four F-22's come in and peel off, then one by one come in and do a full afterburn verticle climb.
Four all together was awsome for me.

I did find a video of the F-22 @ the 08 AC airshow.

F-22 Raptors formation break (2 min 51 sec)
2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Last edited by 2robinhood; 08-22-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply