logo
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by jongurley
Vess Propellers!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,475 Posts
Re: SE IMAC Competition Thread

When is everyone going to arrive at Camden,, I take it the field will be open on friday for practice.
jongurley is offline Find More Posts by jongurley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by Radioactive
IMAC PRESIDENT
FL
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts

Guys, for the record, in Ocala last year, we had to make a decision to not fly the roller, because of the overfy of the recylc/plant. For the sake of preserving a field, the element was dropped... we did fly it on sunday when they were closed. As most folks already acknowledge, we didn't, and can't insert a new "Random" element as a substitute. I'm very proud to see everyone talking, and sharing good productive talks here.
See everyone at the Nats, and Clover creek.. with fuel prices, Family Vacation trips,and busy schedules, that's it for us, till school starts again.
Radioactive is offline Find More Posts by Radioactive
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by prizzy
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Here is Ty's post for the month from the BF-II thread:

Ok, I've been resisting jumping in on this, but since I've now been asked about privately here goes. First, to set the record straight a little, there were no houses overflown at the contest, especially on the south line (canted line). The complaint came from someone on the other side of the river who simply wasn't accustomed to seeing planes where they were (not excusing anything, just the fact). Second, Jerry's is indeed shut down with respect to anymore giant scale / gas activity. Fortunately, he is still able to fly his own glow & electric stuff with out a problem. Third, elimnating rollers (in my opinion) is a bit rash. If there are contests where overfly is restricted, it is a simple matter to remove them from the flights. No additional or alternative sequence is needed, the pilots just don't fly the roller. For the sake of the scoring program, every pilot gets a 10, or 5, or whatever is decided upon for the roller. Where the roller is not a 360, the pilot is permitted a positioning manuerver to continue the sequence. Fourth, rolling loops are not (as Mark mentioned) legal manuevers, and as such are not in the Aresti catalogue; they have no k value. The fact that pattern does something, or full scale doesn't, does not intrinsically mean that we should adopt that behavior. Full scale does not wind correct because the pilot does not have a ground based perspective, we do. Personally, I do not favor adding rolling loops. IMAC has moved further from its roots over the last several years and I favor sticking with the Aresti catalogue as our manuever base. That's not to say that there are not sound issues that need to be dealt with, and a big part of that solution is to have pilots act a bit more responsibly with respect to there equipment and how they use it. Things have improved over the last couple of years, but there is still a long way to go. Personally I applaud initiatives such as the Triple Tree rule that requires cans and 3 blades to fly in that contest. I would encourage more cds to take this action. I also wouldn't object to cds getting back to enforcing the sound limits. Yes, it's one more administrative task to be handled, and yes, it's not a pure represetation of in flight sound, but it does keep the issue of noise in the forefront, and that's the only way progress will continue to be made.
t

Don/Wayne, seems pretty simple. Don't add a figure, Unlimited will just fly past the roller, and advanced will just reposition. I guess if it's that bad, Intermediate just doesn't fly the last one.
prizzy is offline Find More Posts by prizzy
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by ifly3d
Team Futaba
zebulon,NC,USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,058 Posts

Ok so now that we have beat a dead horse. Pride how do you like the new plane ????? Sure does look pretty, Bubbles ( aka woodbutcher) said it looked like it flew great on the second flight.

Josh
ifly3d is offline Find More Posts by ifly3d
Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Damn Bubbles, did he get that name in cyber jail???? I won't go there any further.....

The new plane is sweet. Ty was keeping me in line and said it would be prudent not to do anything crazy, so I just rolled, and flew lines. It holds the lines a ton better, and the rudder is weirdly effective. Totally different than my yak. The balance is slightly nose heavy, so I will adjust too that. Folks are telling me that is better for IMAC. I did snap on the 45 upline, and it stopped on a dime. Very nice. I have been hurting too bad to fly it this week yet. I am hoping I feel better tomorrow. I don't have a video camera, so I will get some stills. If I don't get much practice with it this month, I may have to fly my Yak at nats.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Will fly for food.
United States, VA, Gloucester Point
Joined Jan 2006
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizzy View Post
Damn Bubbles, did he get that name in cyber jail????
The way I heard it, he got his mouth washed out with soap in a very unique way. I'm sure FWB will enlighten you sometime with the particulars.

Jon
Jonathan Ott is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizzy View Post
Damn Bubbles, did he get that name in cyber jail???? I won't go there any further.....

The new plane is sweet. Ty was keeping me in line and said it would be prudent not to do anything crazy, so I just rolled, and flew lines. It holds the lines a ton better, and the rudder is weirdly effective. Totally different than my yak. The balance is slightly nose heavy, so I will adjust too that. Folks are telling me that is better for IMAC. I did snap on the 45 upline, and it stopped on a dime. Very nice. I have been hurting too bad to fly it this week yet. I am hoping I feel better tomorrow. I don't have a video camera, so I will get some stills. If I don't get much practice with it this month, I may have to fly my Yak at nats.
As soon as you get a few good practice flights with the new Extra you will pour some old gas on that Yak and burn it down to the ground and wonder how the hell you ever flew that little POS as good as you did , the Extra will fly it's self ,,,,, well almost ! Get some time with the extra and you will be Happy !
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by whaturi
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2006
1,167 Posts

Yeah what he said.

When I started flying my 3 Meter, I was very used to 35% planes. The bigger plane felt way to slow. It took me a good few flights to settle in with it, most likely to readjust my flying style and fly a bit bigger. Now that I have many flights on it, I flew my previous 35% (Bill has it now) and it felt all out of wack and darty. With what we do (repetitious hand eye) it is only a matter of time until we adjust to new planes.

I say get that thing out as much as possible, and before you know it, it will be your baby! I feel bad for the SE sportsman class.
whaturi is offline Find More Posts by whaturi
Old 06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by psk560
Augusta, Ga
Joined Jan 2006
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongurley View Post
When is everyone going to arrive at Camden,, I take it the field will be open on friday for practice.
Jon,

It will be open Thursday and Friday for flying. I might be weed eating/mowing a little on Thursday but I'll stay out of your way.

Craig
psk560 is offline Find More Posts by psk560
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by jongurley
Vess Propellers!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,475 Posts

Sounds good, we will be pulling in around 2-3 pm Friday to get some practice in,,, ALOT
jongurley is offline Find More Posts by jongurley
Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Thanks Vinnie. Now, I just need your help to come up with a freestyle I can do with the poor old yak.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by whaturi
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2006
1,167 Posts

Give me a link to the music.. I'd love to see what you picked out.
whaturi is offline Find More Posts by whaturi
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Will do!

Mike, do you ever fly at Rams?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts

Well my club has a meeting this Saturday. Will be bringing up about having another IMAC meet here in GA again. Not sure where it will be next year. We decided back in March that we wont have another this year due to other events the club is hosting. But for sure next year!!! Maybe even two! With me going off the college this fall I look for the events to be in May and sometime in August or November. Again I am not sure where it will be next year. If it is at the same place as last year we are going to see about leveling out a smooth spot for landing and taking off.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaturi View Post
Yeah what he said.

When I started flying my 3 Meter, I was very used to 35% planes. The bigger plane felt way to slow. It took me a good few flights to settle in with it, most likely to readjust my flying style and fly a bit bigger. Now that I have many flights on it, I flew my previous 35% (Bill has it now) and it felt all out of wack and darty. With what we do (repetitious hand eye) it is only a matter of time until we adjust to new planes.

I say get that thing out as much as possible, and before you know it, it will be your baby! I feel bad for the SE sportsman class.
This pretty much sums it up. As he said I own his fold 260 and also the 3M 260. Both fly very well and are very much alike in a lot of ways but the 3M does everything better. It seems slower which gives me time to compensate but I have to rethink how I do certain things like how much airspace I need and right now, flying ithe 3M is limited for me do to having to push it around, lift it and such so I've been flying the 2.6 more than I should, at least for practice. Not that it's a bad plane, it's just not what I want to be working with at this point in time.

I will say this, I took both too work today for a tour (had loads of help getting them inside) that included kids and the white one was a big hit with the Casper scheme we did on it, even the adults liked it. Yea, they all liked the big one but Casper just stole the show.

As far as flying against Pride in sportsman, I've pretty much have taken the stand that when I have to fly against him the best I'll do is second unless I sabotage his plane somehow
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates

Quick Reply