logo
Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhead FLH View Post
I was at the Big Thaw Fun Fly in Bismarck North Dakota a few weeks ago and i forgot my favorite paint roller at the starting station. I guess i'll start using my RCS again.
A couple weeks ago, I chipped the back side of my CF prop on a RCS. Went to home depot
and bought 2 paint rollers ..problem solved.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined May 2015
120 Posts
+1

I have one as a part of my field fueling crate. Had one laying around the shelves in my garage......works great!
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rookie View Post
A couple weeks ago, I chipped the back side of my CF prop on a RCS. Went to home depot

I love the RCS. It never chipped any prop I used it on. Great product. To each his own, I used a paint roller once and its terrible tool to get the right leverage, and its too fat to fit my hand and I saw it damage wood props.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by DCash
Joined Jul 2010
318 Posts
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what brand of prop?
DCash is offline Find More Posts by DCash
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by thurmma
United States, AR, Rogers
Joined Jul 2009
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCash View Post
Out of curiosity, what brand of prop?
I will bet Falcon.
thurmma is offline Find More Posts by thurmma
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
1,975 Posts
Paint roller, RCS, glove, stick, whatever works. The point is they all work. I use a glove (like everybody else at our club) and have no issues. I've used a rcs and they work fine. I went back to glove because it's easier.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by TnAeroNut
not always upright
Nashville TN
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Anyone want to sell their unloved RCS?
TnAeroNut is offline Find More Posts by TnAeroNut
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
998 Posts
Glove works for me.. I tried the paint roller and chicken stick thing and I find using a glove is much easier..
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmma View Post
I will bet Falcon.
Indeed it was a Falcon. I prefer not to drag the engine maker through the mud but I will say it was not a DA. They are careful to remove such kick back from their motors.

The problem with this new motor (roughly 170 class) was a very faulty ignition and it kicked so hard, it smashed the tip of my middle finger.
When I went back to it with a RCS, it broke the end retainer on the RCS and the rolling part came off. It also fractured the trailing edge of a 30-13 Falcon prop The next day I came at it with a paint roller and it repeatedly sent the roller about 50 feet in the air. Once the ignition was found to be the culprit, I replaced it with a new one and it has become a well mannered motor. End results for me, I would not prefer the RCS because of its hardness and the potential that it may become a projectile in a similar situation as shown above.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by thurmma
United States, AR, Rogers
Joined Jul 2009
235 Posts
I have had similar experiences with Falcon props and the rcs on high compression engines. As long as you roll it straight down the blade, it works great. Move to pull slightly and you are taking a chance.
thurmma is offline Find More Posts by thurmma
Old 09-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmma View Post
I have had similar experiences with Falcon props and the rcs on high compression engines. As long as you roll it straight down the blade, it works great. Move to pull slightly and you are taking a chance.

I need to say that what I had was a faulty ignition and I rarely got it to flip over and I have owned a couple dozen big cc motors over the last 15+ years. I believe when all things are right, the RCS will work fine, but honestly, the paint roller was cheaper and could not have fractured my prop or potentially put a hole in me if the prop throws it at me. I personally feel the RCS would be perfect if the contacting roller was made of a slightly softer material and fastened in a bit more secure manner.
If you are using it on a proven motor I see no problem but mine was new and waiting to mangle me...
Old 09-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
207 Posts
I encountered all the same problems using my RCS. went back to my paint roller. Broke two wood props.
I found i had to concentrate so much on making sure i was using it just right so as to not screw up my prop that it just wasnt worth the risk when i got out my bigger C/F prop engines.
Also, flying Imac and being at competitions and having a helper start the engine and such, it was more of a pain than anything. (no time to teach someone how to perfectly use the rcs without hitting the cowl, or effing up a prop)
I have had a couple others in the club start to use paint rollers as well though, and they actually like it so all is good!
i agree, if the roller part was softer or more forgiving it would help.
I found anything less than a perfectly straight roll off the prop with the rcs, resulted in damage to the trailing edge of props.
Jason T is online now Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 09-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
778 Posts
Hi everyone,
With regards to the chipped prop. If you are using the Rolling Chicken Stick correctly then it will not chip the prop. As stated several other times in this thread and in the RCS video, the Stick needs to be rolled the length of the prop and off the tip of the prop. If done that way it will never chip the prop. The problem is when the Stick is pulled forward off the prop the roller is soft enough to grab the sharp edge of the prop and take a chip out of it. But again, if used as intended it will not chip the prop. That being so, I have always said, there is no one thing that is best for everyone. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to most everything. As long as you are starting your engine in a way that is safe then that is the best way. Lots of people use a welders glove to start their engines, which I use to do myself. This works fine on the smaller cc engines. But when you get into the real finger eaters.... I saw a club member start his 170cc gasser with a welding glove and he didnt get his hand out fast enough and the 32" prop broke his middle finger right through that heavy leather glove. That hurt him a bunch, he never used a glove again. He has been unsing a RCS ever since. I fly the big gassers. I have a 170cc gasser also and there is NO WAY I will start that with my hand, even with a steal glove on. I use the RCS. I have my prop set at 11:00 o:clock. I stand a little to the left of the center of the prop so I dont run out of arm....meaning that I dont hook my arm and pull the Stick off the front of the prop. Works perfect every time. I have never had any problem with the technique and I have no more manual dexterity then the next guy. I have started that 170 many hundreds of times and have never chipped the prop. There are a lot of posts in this thread from pilots that swear by the RCS and some that prefer a paint roller or a glove. Just do whatever is SAFE and dont give the ER room any more business!

R
RICHMATH is online now Find More Posts by RICHMATH
Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2009
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHMATH View Post
Hi everyone,
With regards to the chipped prop. If you are using the Rolling Chicken Stick correctly then it will not chip the prop. As stated several other times in this thread and in the RCS video, the Stick needs to be rolled the length of the prop and off the tip of the prop. If done that way it will never chip the prop. The problem is when the Stick is pulled forward off the prop the roller is soft enough to grab the sharp edge of the prop and take a chip out of it. But again, if used as intended it will not chip the prop. That being so, I have always said, there is no one thing that is best for everyone. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to most everything. As long as you are starting your engine in a way that is safe then that is the best way. Lots of people use a welders glove to start their engines, which I use to do myself. This works fine on the smaller cc engines. But when you get into the real finger eaters.... I saw a club member start his 170cc gasser with a welding glove and he didnt get his hand out fast enough and the 32" prop broke his middle finger right through that heavy leather glove. That hurt him a bunch, he never used a glove again. He has been unsing a RCS ever since. I fly the big gassers. I have a 170cc gasser also and there is NO WAY I will start that with my hand, even with a steal glove on. I use the RCS. I have my prop set at 11:00 o:clock. I stand a little to the left of the center of the prop so I dont run out of arm....meaning that I dont hook my arm and pull the Stick off the front of the prop. Works perfect every time. I have never had any problem with the technique and I have no more manual dexterity then the next guy. I have started that 170 many hundreds of times and have never chipped the prop. There are a lot of posts in this thread from pilots that swear by the RCS and some that prefer a paint roller or a glove. Just do whatever is SAFE and dont give the ER room any more business!

R
I can appreciate your thoughts on the topic but the problem I was having was with a faulty ignition and it was causing a very abnormal severe kick back. In fact, I have never seen one do so with such force before and the RCS was just no match for it. It broke the RCS, prop and my finger..... that's a really messed up morning.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
778 Posts
Quote:
I can appreciate your thoughts on the topic but the problem I was having was with a faulty ignition and it was causing a very abnormal severe kick back. In fact, I have never seen one do so with such force before and the RCS was just no match for it. It broke the RCS, prop and my finger..... that's a really messed up morning.
Bro, I dont think there is anything that would have saved you in that situation... Thats one of those days you just wish you would have stayed in bed.

Stay safe my friend.

Richard
RICHMATH is online now Find More Posts by RICHMATH

Quick Reply