Old 01-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX9 Programming Question

Hello All,

Not looking for a “how-to” here. Just need a “yes or no” as to whether or not what I’m trying to do is possible. I’ll figure out the rest if it is. Don’t want to beat my head against the wall if it isn’t. My manual is little to no help or I am overlooking it.

I’m assembling a plane with 2 aileron servos per wing. 1 elevator servo per elevator. And two rudder servos on the rudder. And I need an open channel for a TA IBEC. I’ll be using a 12-Channel powersafe receiver. I have enough receiver ports obviously. But is it possible to program this setup within the radio? Thank you.

JAM
Motomazzo is offline Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-07-2021, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
No
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Yes and No. You need a match box or something similar for the second rudder servo. You need 10 ch and you have 9.

Most of your questions can be answered in the wing type menu.

I suspect that you would be okay to run a high torque single rudder servo like a savox 2290. I assume this is for your suhkoi.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 01-07-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by dmcquinn
USA, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2007
1,179 Posts
I believe you can plug the IBEC into channel 10, 11 or 12 on your receiver and use the first 9 channels for your nine servos - one for each servo.

That assumes the IBEC only needs power and not a signal.
dmcquinn is offline Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old 01-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
The IBEC needs a signal to function. I have the setup the op describes but I have a DX 18.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Yes and No. You need a match box or something similar for the second rudder servo. You need 10 ch and you have 9.

Most of your questions can be answered in the wing type menu.

I suspect that you would be okay to run a high torque single rudder servo like a savox 2290. I assume this is for your suhkoi.
Thank you. I had the model type set up correctly. What I couldn’t figure out is if I could assign multiple servos to a specific stick or switch within the radio. I was talking to a buddy with a Jeti and you can with his. I guess that’s part of the appeal of those systems.

I had already planned on a matchbox for the rudder servos is this wasn’t possible. I’d rather have my elevator and aileron servos in their own channel.

And yes, this is for the Sukhoi.

Thank you
Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Not sure what you are asking, but you can reassign channel switches. For example the IBEC is assigned to a knob on aux 3 but can be reassigned to a switch of your choosing. You can do this with multiple channels, for example putting the choke and IBEC on the same switch.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
What you're asking isn't possible with a 9ch transmitter and 12ch rx.

The Tx is the deciding factor. There's only 9ch's to work with, no matter how you slice it. ... and you need 10 to have everything dedicated.

As Paul mentioned, you can put a Matchbox in and get what you want though.

With the 9ch tranny you're 1 channel short for what you're asking for.

What I would do is put the Matchbox on the rudder system, and run everything else to dedicated channels.

That's probably nearly your only option using what you have, and by just adding a Matchbox to the rudder servos minimizes extra components, and will get you what you want...while still taking advantage of the PS Rx.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 01-07-2021, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
If you use a Matchbox on the rudder servos, you'll need to choose the correct "tail type" that has single rudder servo and dual elevator servos, thereby giving you what you want, and your rudder servo balancing will be done in the Matchbox, and trave/sub trim is still adjustable in the tranny.. albeit maxing out your 9ch Tx... but that's fine too... you're then getting your full money's worth out of it.. Haha.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 01-07-2021, 12:05 PM
United States, TX
Joined Nov 2019
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
What you're asking isn't possible with a 9ch transmitter and 12ch rx.

The Tx is the deciding factor. There's only 9ch's to work with, no matter how you slice it. ... and you need 10 to have everything dedicated.

As Paul mentioned, you can put a Matchbox in and get what you want though.

With the 9ch tranny you're 1 channel short for what you're asking for.

What I would do is put the Matchbox on the rudder system, and run everything else to dedicated channels.

That's probably nearly your only option using what you have, and by just adding a Matchbox to the rudder servos minimizes extra components, and will get you what you want...while still taking advantage of the PS Rx.
Thanks, Dale. This was exactly my plan before getting all confused talking to my buddy with the Jeti. There is so much more programming available there. And I was just making sure I wasn’t missing some functionality in the background of my radio. Turns out I wasn’t and it’s exactly as intuitive as it seems. I appreciate the feedback. This kinda stuff is not my forte but the Spektrum makes it pretty easy. Especially if you’re not looking for something that doesn’t exist. Will continue on. Thanks dudes!
Old 01-07-2021, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
If you want a deep (really DEEP) dive into DX9 programming, spend a few bucks and get this
http://rathergoodguides.com/spektrum-dx9-guide.html
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 01-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Main Spar
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomazzo View Post
Hello All,

Not looking for a “how-to” here. Just need a “yes or no” as to whether or not what I’m trying to do is possible. I’ll figure out the rest if it is. Don’t want to beat my head against the wall if it isn’t. My manual is little to no help or I am overlooking it.

I’m assembling a plane with 2 aileron servos per wing. 1 elevator servo per elevator. And two rudder servos on the rudder. And I need an open channel for a TA IBEC. I’ll be using a 12-Channel powersafe receiver. I have enough receiver ports obviously. But is it possible to program this setup within the radio? Thank you.

JAM
I have this setup on my IMAC plane. Here is what I did. I assigned the channels to
Throttle,
Rudder 1
Rudder 2
Right Aileron 1
Right Aileron 2
Left Aileron 1
Left Aileron 2
IBEC
Elevator
For the two elevator servos, I used HiTec 7955s, and reversed one in the servo programmimg
There are three receptacles under the servo receptacles in the receiver. "Switch" and "Bind" are marked, but the one in the middle is not. That receptacle only has power and ground, no signal. I plugged the other elevator servo into it, with a "Y" in the signal from the first elevator servo. That way all the servos have their own power and ground, and only the elevators are on the same channel. I did that because the elevators are not fighting each other on the same control surface. No matchbox, you have to match the throws mechanically, and in the servo programming.

Sorry, after looking, mine is a 9 channel power safe. You could just plug into one of the open ports on the 12 channel, and still "Y" the signal lead.
Main Spar is offline Find More Posts by Main Spar
Last edited by Main Spar; 01-07-2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Error

Quick Reply